Author Topic: Excess coriander  (Read 19003 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Excess coriander
« on: October 04, 2009, 04:11:14 am »
Not exactly a recipe request but my coriander is growing like crazy and I need to pick some to encourage more growth. Not intending to cook anything where I can use it so was wondering if I could freeze it or something else.  I think I have read that you can chop herbs, place in ice cube trays and cover with water to freeze.  Would be interested to see if there are any other ways. Thanks guys.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Re: Excess coriander
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 04:33:01 am »
I have dried parsley by wrapping in paper towel then microwaving until dried. You can then break up the dries leaves and store in airtight containers to use later. I imagine the same would work with coriander. Funny - I was looking at my rampaging parsley this morning and thought I would dry some for the "lean" times. My coriander is not looking nearly as prolific so I am somewhat envious of yours as I love fresh coriander. Good luck.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 05:39:37 am »
I too am a coriander lover and am envious of your crop Judy  :) What about making up a coriander type paste like a pesto they sell in woolworths in the tubes in the fruit and veg section I am not sure what you would use maybe oil and the coriander blitzed?? I might have a look see at the labels next time I am at the supermarket to find out what is in them  ;D

Or I just had a thought what about making a yummy coriander and cashew dip with garlic yummo ;)
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:00:55 am »
I have the Gourmet Garden tubes.  I don't have coriander, but I do have Parsley & the ingredients are as follows:

Fresh parsley (47%), Dextrose, Whey Powder (from milk), Canola Oil, Acidity Regulators (Sodium lactate, Citric Acid), Sea Salt, Humectant (Glycerol), Antioxidants (Sodium ascorbate, Ascorbic acid), Thickener (Xanthan Gum).

No wonder that "Fresh Chopped Taste" just doesn't taste as good as real freshly chopped parsley!
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH
----------------------------------------------
Every artist was first an amateur - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 07:17:47 am »
Thanks for your ideas everyone.  I googled and came up with this site for some more interesting ideas.

http://www.mamtaskitchen.com/recipe_display.php?id=13437

Having read through this information, I took the last suggestion by Steve, went out to the garden, picked a huge bunch (from just one plant) with just the snip of my scissors and which has to be worth $40 when you see what you get for $3 at the supermarkets. Washed it, placed it in a plastic bag and in the freezer - quick, easy, no fuss method. Now my dear little plant can start sprouting again.  I have never had such a prolific supply and wonder if it is because of all the mulching I have added to that section of the herb garden. Oh happy days :D :D :D
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:59:17 am by judydawn »

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:40:16 am »
Molly - I guessed it would be full of other 'stuff'
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline MollyGrubbles

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:27:52 am »
So did I, but I never actually checked.  I used to grow my own herbs, but my garden is very dry & is growing nothing but weeds at the moment.

I was interested in this topic & after googling, found the following website:

10 Easy ways to preserve herbs  -  http://tipnut.com/preserve-herbs/

One of the suggestions is a herb & oil paste (pesto) and even has suggestions for freezing it.
Molly
Mum to 2
Wife to DH
----------------------------------------------
Every artist was first an amateur - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 02:11:00 pm »
As you have said - freezer blocks and then into bags.

Chermoula is good - make up the paste and then store with some oil over top in jars in fridge.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:28:39 pm »
I regularly freeze parsley but haven't tried corriander.  Did attempt basil the other week & that seemed to "work" when I used it later.  Not ideal but better than wasting it.  Saw an ingenious contraption in a shop window this evening which proclaims to preserve fresh herbs for longer - will investigate next weekend & report back............

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 05:09:42 pm »
lol i just feed my excess herbs to the guinea pigs!!   :o :o that way I also always have fresh new growth coming through. My coriander is going wild at the moment as well. I have mulched and fed my herb garden dynamic lifter recently.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 01:01:48 am »
Boy can those little guys eat :o :o :o GD has 3 of them and I'd sooner feed them for a day than a week :D :D

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:30:34 am »
Yes we have 3 too, got them when they were a month old and very tiny....now they eat and eat and eat!! Have had to stop the kids feeding them when they are playing with them as it seems to go in one end and out the other lol

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 07:39:15 am »
lol i just feed my excess herbs to the guinea pigs!!   :o :o that way I also always have fresh new growth coming through. My coriander is going wild at the moment as well. I have mulched and fed my herb garden dynamic lifter recently.

Wonder what the flavour would be like?  Sounds a bit like pre-salé lamb from the marshes around Mt St-Michel - pre-seasoned GPs.  The South Americans may already do this ??

Just realised that some people may take that the wrong way - if there is a right way - it was a joke  :-\ :-\ .

Sorry GPs - I used to breed them too - love the way they hit the ground running.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:43:28 am »
ROFL

although no breeding going on here!!!  :o :o made sure of that lol

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 12:43:43 pm »
GD started out with 3 'babies' guaranteed all the same sex (F) but before too long 2 of them started getting awfully fat.  Yep, 2 out of the 3 were pregnant when they were sold to DD.  First one had 4, second one had 3 = 10 guinea pigs all of a sudden.  They looked further into it so they could sex them and separate them and one day the door wasn't shut properly and there I was, chasing the 8 females around the back yard.  Slippery little buggars as those who have them well know. I bought a proper lock for the cage and fitted it myself so that this grandma never had to do that again :D :D