Author Topic: Hollandaise Sauce  (Read 3088 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
Hollandaise Sauce
« on: November 21, 2015, 11:42:28 am »
Anyone one see Professional Masterchef last week?  Marcus Waring set a test for the chefs to make Omelette Arnold Bennett. Hubby really fancied that, so I set to yesterday and made it. It was wonderful........ mostly thanks to my lovely Thermomix. The Hollandaise Sauce recipe in the Everyday Cookbook is brilliant. Chuck everything in and just 6 minutes later you have the smoothest, most delicious sauce ever!
I have to admit to thinking "This won't work" as I put all the ingredients into the TM bowl. Oh ye of little faith!
For anyone who loves Hollandaise but has always been too scared to make it - it is notorious for splitting or curdling - give this a go. You won't regret it.
How I love my TM? As I'm typing it is making onion soup for lunch. Just couldn't be without it in my kitchen.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Hollandaise Sauce
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 08:06:01 pm »
Well done with that success. I have never heard of that omelette, but it sounds delicious.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:25:57 am »
I googled it and it is named after the writer. It has smoked haddock and parmesan in it.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:00:56 am »
Good old thermomix.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline AnneUK

• View Profile
    • My (infrequently updated) blog
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 09:50:54 am »
Just a word on hollandaise - I made it in my thermomix several times with no problems at all and to great appreciation from family. Then I had a couple of times when it just wouldn't work. It seemed to start ok but then suddenly went thin - disaster! Tried cooking for a bit longer - no good. There may have been too much lemon juice, who knows?

The second time it happened, I took out the whisk and turned up speed for a few seconds and blasted it. It worked!

Someone may be able to explain it. I can't, but just wanted to put my solution out there in case anyone else has the same disaster.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 10:39:22 am »
My DD has had the same problem Anne, sometimes perfect and other times it curdles.  I'll tell her of your solution, thanks for sharing.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 11:21:06 am »
Thanks Anne. We appreciate it.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 01:11:57 pm »
Thanks Anne.Its always so helpful to have these tips on how to rescue recipes.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline sue_purrb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 02:20:11 am »
I have only made Hollandaise sauce once and it split. I poured it into a jug as I needed the TM for something else, and asked Mr. Google for help.
Turns out if you add an ice cube and whisk, the curdled sauce comes together into thick glossiness before your very eyes!

If I make it again I'll almost hope for it to fail because it was fascinating to watch!  ;D
Beauty is only fur deep.....

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 07:12:00 am »
What an easy, fun solution. Brilliant thinking sue_purrb.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 01:40:33 am »
I have only made Hollandaise sauce once and it split. I poured it into a jug as I needed the TM for something else, and asked Mr. Google for help.
Turns out if you add an ice cube and whisk, the curdled sauce comes together into thick glossiness before your very eyes!

If I make it again I'll almost hope for it to fail because it was fascinating to watch!  ;D

Something similar happened to me a long time ago with a mayonnaise fail.  I can't remember the exact instructions but I Googled and one of the results was to just add a little water and it was fine.  All the other solutions were to start again, etc. etc. but the water answer was perfect and saved making a second batch of mayonnaise.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.