Author Topic: New Style TM?  (Read 3519 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
New Style TM?
« on: September 17, 2015, 07:20:12 pm »
Now that those new users have had time to get used to the new style TM, what are your views on it?
I am still madly in love with my older TM - after about three years - but live in fear and dread of it going wrong. I just don't think I could cope without it now.
Should I buy the newer model too, so that I have a TM to fall back on should anything go wrong?
I use my TM everyday, without fail. yesterday it was tomato soup to use up a huge amount of tomatoes I had, and today it was a lovely BBQ sauce to go with our spare rib dinner.
Both things were effortless and soooooo good.
What a wonderful piece of kit it is- just wonderful.
The best money I ever spent.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Style TM?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:35:24 pm »
I've had my TM5 for a year now.Its was returned to HO to be fixed under warranty as it developed a fault when I was cooking Hungarian Goulash.Touch wood it's been fine since its return.

Personally I think the TM31 is a better machine.I gifted my TM31 to my sister-in-law.
Do I miss my old TM31: Yes.  Do I regret buying the TM5: No. I love my TM.
I love this forum too.I have cooked things I would have never attempted if it hadn't been for this caring community.

I suggest you have a demo of the TM5 to see what you think of the new machine in action.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 09:08:02 pm »
I gifted my TM31 to my DIL and was happy to do so but that was before my TM5 arrived. I am sorry I bought the new on as it is a pain in the butt to use. It slows me down which I find frustrating.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 11:55:13 pm »
I've also had my TM5 for a year and while I love it, I still have slight regrets with upgrading. I don't find the new features outweigh the additional lid locking safety features which I find frustratingly slow. Saying this I do find it much more stable when I'm kneading dough. I think it's a very personal decision.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 02:15:04 am »
I recently purchased a second TMX.  I got a TM31 as I love the one I have had for years and am perfectly content and happy with that one.  To be honest, the new model simply did not appeal to me at all.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:24:18 am by Cuilidh »
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 04:52:16 am »
I bought my TM5 last December.  I didn't get rid of my existingTM31 which I've had for 4 years.  Sometimes on the weekend I do a big cook-up and use both machines. 

I've always loved my TM31, but I love my TM5 as well.  I really enjoy the new features, the touchscreen and cooking with the chip.  My DH enjoys trying new recipes and he finds the chip an easy way to do this.   Nothing really about it annoys or frustrates me.  Yes there is a delay in unlocking the lid, but I'm normally doing a few things at once, so I just get on with something else until the lid unlocks.

I don't think you need a backup just in case your TM31 breaks - any issue HO seem to be able to repair and the price for repairs is reasonable.  The TM31 is a great sturdy machine.
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 05:41:53 am »
I've had my TM 5 for roughly a year now too. I love it and use it almost every day. I still have my TM 31 and I love it dearly too. If it broke down I would have it fixed. Like Katie I often have both going, it's like having two bowls but better.
Friends have asked me should they upgrade and I've said no. Personally I don't see the need, but if you can afford a TM 5 as well as keep the TM 3 go for it. I use both and love it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2015, 08:37:44 am »
I've also had my TM5 for a year now and love it - nothing has gone amiss. I sold the 31 to finance the 5. If you're happy with the TMX31 then just go with it. There aren't a lot of advantages to upgrading.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 11:15:02 pm »
I bought the TM5 a year ago, and its great. I had my TM31 and sold it.

I also have the HMP at work.

They are both great, and the locking device slows me down on the TM5. But both good machines.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2015, 04:43:42 am »
Great advice above. I have the new one too, and I love it. I love the chips because they are so easy to follow while cooking.  I have my 31 in the buffet cupboard as having 2 would take up too much room on the kitchen bench. I couldn't part with it, but I know it will come in handy at some point whether its when I'm doing a big cook up or when my DS moves out of home again, or if I take it with me on holiday down south as I have the travelling case to go with it. I think you want to buy the new one and are looking for justification  ;) Go ahead if it will bring you happiness and you can afford it because the 31 will last a few more years yet.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline past94x

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 11:43:09 am »
Thanks so much for all your replies. I think, reading between the lines, that the TM5 is not that popular, so for now, I shall stick with what I've got. Thanks again. You're a brilliant bunch.