Author Topic: Tagines  (Read 4553 times)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
Tagines
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:05:40 am »
I have been looking at these for a while. Does anyone have one? If so what do you think? I am wondering if they enhance flavours or is the slow cooker just as good :)

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline KarenH

• View Profile
Re: Tagines
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:24:32 am »
We have one Hally, and rarely use it.  I think they would be wonderful if you used them in the traditional way i.e. buried in hot coals to cook all day, but using it on a stovetop or oven I don't think is much different to a slow cooker or a covered casserole dish in the oven.  Just my opinion.   It also takes up a lot of space in the cupboard.
Karen in Adelaide

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:31:08 am »
I thought there might be not much difference, I have Le Creseut dutch ovens.

I thought the tagine might be able to go in my tandor oven, that would be cooking over coals :)

Why dont you use it ?

Thanks

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 10:18:13 am »
I have a tagine which I used only occasionally the food was lovely I only made Moroccan  flavoured recipes, but now I have induction cooking it is obsolete, although I suppose I could put it out on the BBQ?  If you have a Dutch oven I would give it a miss unless you really want one I like the look of it on the table mine has a red top.

Bonsai

Tagines
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 02:34:54 pm »
We have an Emile Henry tagine which is ok to use in oven and stovetop (you have to check, not all are able to do this). I don't think there is any difference between a tagine and a casserole with a fitting lid, in both cases steam condenses and goes back in to pot to keep food moist. Tagines look nice on the table for serving and do have the benefit of being wider and more shallow, but other than that they are a variation on a casserole dish. We use ours quite a lot as it is a good size for a lot of food we cook as anything you would use a casserole for does just as well in a tagine, although they are shallow so no good for large amounts of ingredients with lots of liquid.

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 09:41:18 pm »
Hally I have 2 Tagines and they sit at the back of my appliance cupboard as I never use them. I much prefer my Le Creuset and Chasseur Dutch ovens which in my opinion cook better and look equally as  nice as the Tagines on the table. As you have a slow cooker and pressure cooker as well as your Dutch ovens I would say don't waste your money on a Tagine.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 12:07:54 am »
Thank you everyone. Yes I have my le creseut dishes and pc & slow cooker. I might try and find a pot for the tandor oven.

:)

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 12:59:13 am »
I would still love a tandoor oven. Was seriously considering it but DH was very worried about the wind factor in mindarie which is why we didn't end up buying one.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 01:20:52 am »
We all love the Tandor. Cooks food to perfection, we really want to do slow cooked curries, so we need to find a good pot. I do not want to put my le creuset pots in the oven. I love my le creuset dutch ovens.

:)

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 02:06:48 am »
I've put my LC in the woodfired oven and it cooked in there a treat. The only thing it did was burn the knob off the lid, went all crumbly, so I took it off and have a "temporary/permanent" 1/2"  stainless steel nut screwed on the lid as a handle!

Doesn't look quite as nice as the original knob, but I know it won't burn off in the oven again!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:15 am »
Good to hear, I thiught it might just turn it all black. Maybe I should buy one for the tandor oven & keep it for tandor use only.

Thanks Nikkit :)

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 05:47:16 am »
I think I just gave it a good scrub when it came out Hally. Was more soot than anything from memory. Been a long time since we had the oven going, just one more rain and we can start it again :)

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 06:07:52 am »
Just ordered one from kitchenwarehouse direct. I hace 3 but not the right size. So hope this fits and i wont mind if it gets all black,  it will be great to use after our main cook up. Foiod on the tandor is just delicious.

Thanks for the tip.

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 11:23:03 am »
We have an Emile Henry Tagine and it was great when we used it to make a Moroccan Chicken Tagine. Can't compare it to a slow cooker as I don't have one but the tagine definitely makes the food melt-in-your-mouth tender. We haven't used it since having children but only last week I tagged some recipes I want to try this winter so I'll be bringing it out soon. We thought of doing a cooking class for it but then I found similar similar recipes which I might try instead as we can't really afford to go on this class.