Author Topic: Recipe review: Burger buns. Fast & Easy cooking. Page 174  (Read 4284 times)

Offline Sparky606

• View Profile
Recipe review: Burger buns. Fast & Easy cooking. Page 174
« on: January 04, 2014, 10:08:48 pm »
We've had our TM for little over a month now and whenever we're home, I'm cooking in it.

Today was my first attempt at bread buns to accompany some chilli burgers made by my DH.

The buns were dense and doughy inside but they tasted yummy. The recipe uses milk rather than water so I'm unsure if that had anything to do with the result or if it was in the proving.

Can I ask, where is best to prove bread? We don't have an airing cupboard so I use my oven at 50 degrees Celsius and leave uncovered.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result but need to do further research before attempting again.

P.S. First time posting a recipe review :)

Linked JD

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:22:27 am by judydawn »

Offline Jessica1

• View Profile
Re: Recipe review: Burger buns. Fast & Easy cooking. Page 174
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:11:23 am »
I have no idea sorry (my TMX hasnt arrived yet) but I think they look great !

Offline Tasty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:24:24 am »
They look great and I think the oven is fine for proving but I'm pretty sure it would still need to be covered. I'm sure someone more experienced will pop on to help.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:41:34 am »
If you aren't happy with any bread product you bake, it pays to try other recipes Sparky, never give up because your first attempt wasn't as successful as you liked.  We all bake bread and rolls now and a lot of us would never have seen ourselves doing this pre-TMX.  It is with the encouragement of forum members and experience that gets us there in the end. There is never a prouder moment in your kitchen than when you have a fresh loaf of bread or batch of rolls come out of your oven and this feeling never passes.

Chookie's no fuss rolls are always a hit and Stef in Belgium developed his burger roll recipe by combining ideas from this forum.  Read the reviews of both, have a look in our bread section and you will see many recipes which have lots of positive reviews.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 04:34:33 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 03:30:43 am »
The rolls look lovely as do the burgers. Congratulations on the photo too.
I find a handy way to prove bread when it is cold (I'm in Australia) is to put the bread on a shelf in the oven, then our some boiling water into a container and place this under the bread shelf. I actually remove a shelf from my oven to do this, and place the water container on the floor.
If you find you need to reheat the water, simply remove it, boil more water and place in the container, replace into the oven.
This way you do not need to have the oven on and it offers a little moist air to the rise. The oven door is closed while the dough is rising.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jessica1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 03:54:02 am »
I sometimes prove bread under the doona with the electric blanket on low :) Just need to warn whoevers bed it is not to jump in.

Offline Sparky606

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 09:22:29 am »
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I will be sure to check out those links when I'm home next weekend and whip up another batch. You're certainly right too Judy, I would have never made bread prior to owning a TM.
DH isn't feeling too clever today but I'm blaming the burgers ;-)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:35:29 am »
Tracy I leave my bread in the TM bowl for the first rise ( wrapped in a fluffy towel) near a radiator.Then when the bread is shaped I put it back as near to the radiator as possible.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 09:47:06 am »
The rolls look great sparky.  I heat my liquid at 37C For 2 mins and do the first rise in the tmx bowl with lid and mc on. If a recipe asks to remove dough, I place in greased bowl, cover with cling film and put in sink with warm/hot tap water and let it rise. I also sometimes do the second rise in the oven at 35-40C. Works well covered with cling wrap or uncovered.