Author Topic: Recipe Review "Quinoa Morning Puddings" (In the Mix)  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Recipe Review "Quinoa Morning Puddings" (In the Mix)
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:09:04 am »
I made these last night to serve at the end of today's brunch. I followed the recipe to the letter and chose to use the orange blossom water option. They were very nice and tasted 'healthy'. They were a nice way to end a meal as we didn't feel too full afterwards.

Although they were nice and I will certainly make them again, I was a little disappointed that my puddings didn't look like the ones in the pictures. I think this is because the recipe states to use banana within the ingredients and method, but in the introductory blurb at the top of the recipe Dani suggests to try with different fruits (eg mango).  

So... if you can imagine the colour of quinoa, the colour of mashed banana mixed with the colour of orange juice, you get a not very appealing brown colour...however if you add mango instead of banana you might get a pleasant orange colour.....the picture clearly is an orange colour, but the ingredients clearly state to use banana.

It was a very easy recipe and I can certainly see myself making this again for DD for a healthy dessert. I like the options that you can eat it hot or cold. But next time I will use mango or berries!

Linked JD
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 12:34:10 pm by judydawn »
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review "Quinoa Morning Puddings" (In the Mix)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:40:42 pm »
This is from In the Mix volume 1 I take it Jamberie, I couldn't find it in book 2.

I find that can happen with photographs in recipe books, the recipe says one thing and it is quite obvious something else has been used in the picture or a picture is taken of all testings of a recipe then the best picture is used for the book regardless of whether it fits the recipe or not.  I picked up at least 4 pictures in one of my latest books which differ from the recipe, only something slight but it is noticeable.  Obviously proof readers don't get a picture of the recipe or they surely would pick the difference.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Recipe Review "Quinoa Morning Puddings" (In the Mix)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 12:54:09 am »
I now have book 1 so was able to make this last night for my breakfasts this week.

I used 1/4 tsp cardamom pistachio sugar instead of crushed cardamom - not a fan of cardamom on it's own.  I went with the suggestion of dried apricots instead of dates and 180g frozen & thawed mango pieces instead of bananas.

I used Nestle molds and the quantity only filled 7 which fitted perfectly into the varoma - probably because the mango didn't increase the mixture as 2 bananas may have.

Served with some thick raspberry coulis.

Using these options meant that the colour was therefore much more vibrant Jamberie in the first picture but not so much once on the plate. There was no way I could unmold mine like the picture in the book, even after being in the fridge overnight and microwaving this morning as suggested.  Not that it mattered.

To be honest, I wasn't that keen on this recipe although it did grow on me a little towards the end.  It's a personal taste I think, I much prefer chia seed puddings to quinoa.  I do a nice one from one of the magazines which is just soaked overnight, no cooking involved.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:57:07 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.