Author Topic: Cup Sizes - Australian & American??  (Read 3669 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
Cup Sizes - Australian & American??
« on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:36 am »
I bought my TM in January of this year and, since then, I have been puzzling about different cup sizes for recipes. The recipes on this forum are so fabulous I want to collect them all.

However, I was visiting a lovely cook shop here in the UK at the weekend and was told there is a difference between American & Australian "cup" sizes. I went to the shop to buy a set of measuring cups so that I could more easily use recipes for my beloved TM, but am now hesitating.

Can anyone assure me what is what please? When using a recipe from this lovely forum, there is no telling which country it originates from. Am I just being stupid here? Is there an easy answer? When making cakes/puddings etc, I am so used to being very accurate with my ingredients.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
Re: Cup Sizes - Australian & American??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:30:13 am »
It's unusual for an Thermomix recipe (ie those from Vorwerk, and independent authors etc) to measure ingredients by volume instead of weight.  But if you do come across it - or want to try converting your own recipes - then maybe an online conversion site like this one  http://www.traditionaloven.com/culinary-arts/volume/convert-cup-us-to-cup-au.html   might be helpful.

Or simply buy a set of each measuring cups - both are available in Australia so I'm assuming you could also find them in the UK

Once you have the correct cup figured out, weigh its contents on a digital scale - or even in the TMX itself - and note the weight in your notes or on your recipe for future reference.

Others may have better and simpler ideas - but that's just the way I do it . . . ;D  Hope that helps in some way  . . .

DJ and/or CC may be able to offer more help . .

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 09:31:34 am »
Just google comparison measurements. When you find one that suits you just print it out and keep it handy. If you  have an I pad take a screen shot the you will have it handy as well. There are many cookbooks that have both measurements. Where possible go by weight rather than cups.

There are many handy comparison charts on the web. Also many measuring jugs have two at least. Generally here the measurements will be Australian and if not just ask  about a particular recipe in that thread.

Hope that helps.

Gert

Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 09:59:08 am »
Goodness knows where my brain is but i immediately thought bras!
Denise

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:03:51 am »
Goodness knows where my brain is but i immediately thought bras!

I did too.  Too funny.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:04:05 am »
 ;D ;D ;D  you weren't the only one . . . ;D ;D ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 10:31:43 am »
  ;D ;D  I didn't but then I don't have much to fill an American or Australian cup girls.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline past94x

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 10:51:33 am »
When I was typing my question, I thought the same. Luckily, I'm a bit more clued up with bra measurements. Glad I gave you all a laugh!!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 11:17:12 am »
From "Woman's Weekly" cookbook:

One Australian metric measuring cup holds approx 250ml; one Australian metric tablespoon holds 20ml; one Australian metric teaspoon holds 5ml.

The difference between one countries measuring cups and another's is within a 2 or 3 tsp variance, and will not affect your cooking results. N. America and N. Zealand use a 15ml tablespoon. They use large egg sizes with an average weight of 60g.

I think it should be said that using the TM we endeavour to put the weight as much as possible into our converted recipes.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 07:53:05 am »
I believe a UK tablespoon is only 15 ml too   I have 2 sets of measuring spoons. Not sure about the cup though.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/