Author Topic: Thermomix running hot when using butterfly??  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Amanda_01

• View Profile
Thermomix running hot when using butterfly??
« on: January 30, 2013, 01:48:46 am »
So... Over the weekend I was making a batch of swiss buttercream.  I melted the sugar/eggwhites in the double boiler then transferred to the thermomix to whip. You're supposed to let the meringue cool to room temp before adding the butter, so I was watching the temp guage, and it dropped down to 37, then all of a sudden was back up to 50... I decided it was too warm in my house so put the bowl in the fridge to cool it down a bit, back into the thermomix to whip some more (has to get to stiff peak stage before adding butter, so about 10 minutes) and it was cool, then I look again and it's back up to 50!!! I realised that it was the blades heating up making the temp go up...  This morning I was creaming some butter and sugar for muffins (butter was soft) and it only had to be on for a minute, yet in less than that time the 50 degree temp light was on again. 

Is this 'normal'? Surely not?? It was a bit of a PITA, because it meant I had to get the old handheld mixer out to do my buttercream on the weekend, thank god I hadn't chucked it out yet!!

Any suggestions?  I have no idea if the thermomix is heating up without the butterfly attachment, I have to admit I've been really slack using it lately...

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix running hot when using butterfly??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 02:41:21 am »
Amanda I have never had this problem, but on saying that probably haven't heated anything up with the butterfly in, oh yes once whipped egg whites and warmed them while whipping 37 dregs no problem, the blades shouldn't get hot you know not to go over speed 4 when the butterfly is in.  The temperature could just be a fraction above 37 and I think it goes up to the next level light on , do you have a thermometer to check it?.  Sorry probably not much help, someone might have a better answer.

Offline Amanda_01

• View Profile
Re: Thermomix running hot when using butterfly??
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 12:09:54 pm »
Thanks Brenda.
I don't have a thermometer to check, but after I took the merengue out if the bowl I felt the blades and they were definitely hot, the central pin bit the runs through the blades was almost too hot to touch.  And no, I wasn't going above speed 4.
Might have to make something tomorrow with just the regular blades in and see if it still heats up....
Thanks for your reply :)