Author Topic: My first day with my TM  (Read 11003 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
My first day with my TM
« on: January 12, 2013, 03:17:38 pm »
Firstly, many thanks for everyone's encouragement about getting on with it and not being afraid of myThermomix. I have just spent the last 6 hours "playing". Oh boy, what a piece of kit that is? I am so thrilled.
 I have made 6 cream brulees, a "whole orange" cake with cream cheese icing, red pepper & tomato soup, lemonade and some organic seeded bread rolls. The creme brulees are cooling, so I haven't tried those yet, the soup was simply fantasti: so so smooth and tasty,the orange cake is to die for, the lemonade the best I have ever made. What more can I say?
The only thing I am disappointed with is the bread rolls. I followed the recipe to the letter(It was the one that my demonstrator used during my demo) and although the rolls tasted nice, they were rather heavy and a bit "doughy". Now, because I have barely ever made bread before, is there some kind soul out there who might be able to tell me what causes heavy bread?
The recipe says - after the dough has been made and shaped into rolls, "Place in a cold oven and turn to 40 degrees(or the lowest possible setting), set the timer for 25 minutes - the dough will start to rise" It thens goes on to the making of other things for the demo, like cheese sauce etc, and continues "Without removing the tray of rolls, turn up the oven to 220 degrees centigrade and bake for 12-16 minutes" My question is: Does that bit about setting the timer for 25 minutes refer to just the "proving" or should the whole thing - proving and baking take 25 minutes in all?
The only other question I have - yet - is about the washing of the stainless bowl. The instruction book says it can be put in the dishwasher. I don't think I would want to do this too often, but, is it, therefore, OK to immerse the bowl completely in hot,soapy water? I am very concious of those 5 prongs which obviously connect to the power.Sorry about the lack of technical "speak"here. It seems so wrong to get those wet. I'd welcome your comments. Thanks so much.
My hubby has just said - after eating soup,rolls,cake and lemonade - this piece of kit is going to make me fat!!! What can I say? Luckily, he is also very impressed with my new toy.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Re: My first day with my TM
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 03:23:30 pm »
I am not sure about your bread recipe but at demos I make/shape the rolls and cook for approx20 minutes from cold at 180 fan forced.

You can totally submerge the bowl but the pins MUST be dry when returning it to the housing.
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline past94x

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 03:59:57 pm »
Many thanks for your speedy reply. If we are talking about the same recipe "Organic Seeded Bread Rolls", it says put rolls into cold oven, set the timer to 25 minutes, set oven to 40 degrees C, then up to 200 degrees C, fan assisted, for 12 to 16 minutes. As I said, I am no bread maker but would love to get this right. At what temperature should I "prove" the rolls, and then cook them? How do you know when they are cooked enough? Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I just don't know the answer.
Do all demos of the TM use the same set of recipes, all over the world?

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 04:12:55 pm »
I not familiar with your bread recipe past94x but how I read the recipe the proving takes 25 minutes then you would cook for 12-16 minutes. Total time 25 minutes+(12or16) minutes = 37 or 42 minutes.
Here are two bread recipes by Isi My Very Normal Bread and Portuguese Rolls
Probably the most reliable bread is the No Fuss Bread recipe by our bread guru Chookie.
I wash my bowl by hand. ;D Like Meagan says make sure the prongs are dry ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 04:26:50 pm »
Many thanks for your speedy reply. If we are talking about the same recipe "Organic Seeded Bread Rolls", it says put rolls into cold oven, set the timer to 25 minutes, set oven to 40 degrees C, then up to 200 degrees C, fan assisted, for 12 to 16 minutes. As I said, I am no bread maker but would love to get this right. At what temperature should I "prove" the rolls, and then cook them? How do you know when they are cooked enough? Sorry to ask such a basic question, but I just don't know the answer.
Do all demos of the TM use the same set of recipes, all over the world?
The Australian demos are different to the UK demo.In Australia there is a basic demo and a Varoma demo.Australian customers also have a "delivery demo" where the consultant  goes through using the machine.
List of Hints and Tips for new owners
Have a look at Comment thread For hints for Bread Making by Chookie
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline past94x

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 04:44:12 pm »
Very many thanks Cornish Cream, just what I needed.
Thanks again

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 04:57:39 pm »
I've been searching for the internal temperature of cooked bread.It was buried here on the Shopping Thread :D

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 07:38:29 pm »
...great that you have had a productive time with TMX.  Initially I had the same issue with the bread rolls and despite my questions to the consultant regarding proving the dough she insisted the rolls were perfect.  I always allow the 2nd proving out of the oven, BUT I do not have the expertise of the bread gurus on here.  If the links which CC has provided do not enlighten, Chookie/Cookie/JD etc etc will be able to provide the most amazing answers.
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:23 pm »
I found the rolls we made at my delivery demo somewhat dense and not the best texture (think they could have done with longer proving), like yours they were doughy.  They were okay while warm, but didn't get eaten up the way I'd expect at my house!
But I have found some lovely ones on here - I make the no-fuss bread or Vienna Loaf or Baguettes.  Oh, I did use a different one for hamburger buns too. 
Who needs cookbooks when you have this forum?!  ;)

Yum, the food you've made sounds great!  Making me want to try creme brulee - did they turn out good?

I have put my bowl in the dishwasher a couple of times, but mostly handwash it as I don't want to have to wait for the wash cycle!!  :D
I recently got the Thermomix Lovers Kit from the Super Kitchen Machine website and love the scrubbies and little brush for cleaning it well. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 10:02:56 pm »
I know a lot of people put their bowls, etc. in the dishwasher . . and it seems to work for them.  However, prefer just to clean the bowl, blades, etc. as I go.  Stubborn marks in the bowl I remove with bicarb, a little water and a paper towel.  (note to self: must get some scrubbies!)

Just do make sure those pins are thoroughly dry before using the bowl again. :D

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:06:33 pm »
Glad you had a productive day. Sorry cant help with he bread. I  usually hand wash my TM and let it air dry for a while before putting back

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 10:08:47 pm »
Past94X,  you have really hit the ground running,  with your TMX.  This is great.  I had the same trouble with the TMX bread  loaf recipe.  Isi's roll recipe really got members into bread making.  I would suggest you try this.  If you don't like sweet bread, just leave the sugar out.  I wrote the No Fuss recipe for TMX  Forum members,  just starting out.  Good luck and have fun.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 10:17:46 pm »
Well, what a great effort for your first cook-up - now you know there's nothing to be scared of and there will be no stopping you.  I'd forget about that recipe you used for bread rolls and try the No-Fuss recipe from Chookie.  If you have a warm place in which you can prove the dough, I would do it naturally rather than in the oven but it's pretty cold in the UK so this may be the way it is done over there.  Once you have a successful batch you will know how the dough should look and feel and will feel more confident. CC has given you some great links - she knows this forum like the back of her hand so you are lucky she is on your side of the world and can give advice when you most need it.  I find it easier to wash the TM bowl as I go, the sooner it is washed the sooner you can get on with the next recipe.  Did you get a second bowl at the time of purchase?  A lot of us do have the second bowl and find it invaluable so keep you eye out for special offers - there's no need to pay full price for it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:01:38 am »
I hand wash my bowl, glad you love your thermie.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 04:19:20 am »
What a productive time you have had with your TMX Past94X. You have cooked up a storm  :)
I have never put my bowl into the dishwasher as I find it easy just to wash it as soon as I have used it.
I use the scrubbies to remove anything baked on and they work a treat.
Hope you are enjoying this fabulous machine.
My DH agrees that it could make us all fat  ;D