Author Topic: It arrived and I'm terrified!  (Read 6323 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
It arrived and I'm terrified!
« on: January 11, 2013, 06:19:42 pm »
Ooooh eeck! My brand new TM arrived this afternoon. It's here and looking pristine and lovely on my work surface. I have told myself that I need to spend this evening reading all about it and that tomorrow, I will make things.
It looks so lovely and sparkling that I am loathe to spoil it by using it. I have promised myself that tomorrow, I will get on and make lots of things.
If I am completely honest,  I have to admit thatI am afraid that the results of the things I make will not be anything like those made on my brilliant demo. I so do not want to be disappointed. Am I the only new owner who feels like this? Maybe a large gin & tonic  (or two) would ease the situation!!!!

mcmich

Re: It arrived and I'm terrified!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:28:08 pm »
How exciting, waiting for your machine to arrive is the hard part.
Did your consultant not cook something with you when it was delivered to get you started?

Maybe tonight you could also look on Youtube at some demos - Janie has some basic start-up tips and demos and have that gin and tonic.  :D

Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:29:06 pm »
I felt the same way after my consultant left me with my machine but sooner or later you have to start using it.  Make a batch of custard, nothing can go wrong for you with that.  Read the recipe carefully once then read each step carefully as mistakes are often made by not doing this. Just remember the rule for the settings - time, temperature then speed.  Have a go, you will want to get on with the next recipe very quickly.  Oh and remember to clean the bowl pretty quickly, it is so much easier to clean if you do.  Good luck.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 09:38:28 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:57:10 pm »
My only advice would be to use this forum and read the comments of others who made the dish or whatever it is your trying to make and even the thx cookbooks.. Always check for any reviews on here as it will avoid any unecessary disasters!! If you follow that you will be ine and ontworry as oon as you see hat you vn make and how easy it is.. There will be mo stopping you .. Go !!! Oh and welcome 😊
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:58:15 pm »
Michele and Judy have some excellent ideas past94x ;) I suggest the Carrot and Coriander Soup ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 08:18:00 pm »
We've all been there, past94x . .  ;D  It's a bit like learning to drive - only easier.  Once you've been around the block a couple of times and got the hang of the steering, brakes, gears, etc. you're off and running!

Just follow the advice give above . . try making the vegetable stock.  As Judy said,

read, re-read and then re-read the recipe and steps.

Prepare and line up all your ingredients

then follow to the letter each step remembering that you set the time first, then the temperature and then the speed.

What did your consultant do when she delivered your TMX?

Don't forget - any time night or day, if you have any questions, just pop on here and there'll be someone to give you some answers/advice!

Most importantly - have fun!!!

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:13:52 pm »
Past94x, excitement."  " excitement plus".   You are just going to love it and will wonder how you cooked without it in a  month.

Offline droverjess

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 09:34:58 pm »
Yup all of the above.
I still misread instructions at times but it all turns out fine!

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 12:51:32 am »
Very exciting. I was scared too. The best thing to do is jump in full steam ahead, no pun intended, and just go with it. You will make mistakes, some things will be disappointing but you WILL get there. We have all been there and we are here to help. Take the plunge you will be fine.
Sorry about all the Corny lines ;D

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:56:31 am »
Welcome to the forum.  No you aren't alone with feeling like that.  I know I was, but in no time you will be an old hand!!!

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 03:14:43 am »
jump  straight in ! with the the forum handy while you get going there are always many willing members online to help out.  a soup  is a great way to start.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 03:50:53 am »
Go for it!   ;D
It is scary to start, but it's pretty sturdy and cleans up well, so I'm sure you can't do anything too drastic to it  ;)

Probably not ALL of the things you make will come out perfect (you'll make me feel better if they don't), but it's learning a whole new way to cook, so not surprising really.  My first day example: don't try and cream butter and sugar on high speeds - you will melt the butter!  Live and learn. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline MEP

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 03:58:55 am »
Agree with all the good advice posted above. I'm a relative novice myself because I don't get to use my tmx half as much as the other ladies on this forum. However, watching i found watching youtube videos really helped. I also made the basic panna cotta recipe recently and that's very easy with great results so whilst it's not instant, it is very gratifying and rewarding. Hence, great encouragement for you to do more.

Good luck and enjoy the journey that now includes the wonderful world of tmx.
From Perth WA

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2013, 04:15:55 am »
Past94x you will soon be cooking great things in your machine.  The more you use it the easier it will be and you have the advantage of the great advice given on this forum to help you.  Enjoy your cooking

Marie

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2013, 04:52:07 am »
Oh you sound like I did when mine arrived!  ;D ;D
But don't worry, once you start there will be no stopping you!!! If I have to go a day now without using my darling TM, I feel like something is really missing from that day!  ;D
Any questions just ask, someone will be bound to have an answer. Read the reviews before trying recipes for a start (tho someone has to be the first to review a recipe too  ;) )
But most of all - enjoy your new machine!!  :D :D
:D