Author Topic: Demo Arranged At Long Last  (Read 4097 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
Demo Arranged At Long Last
« on: January 06, 2013, 03:59:32 pm »
I have finally arranged to have a demo of the TM on Wednesday, next week. I am so looking forward to this, as I haven't even seen the Thermomix in the flesh yet! Can't wait to see it in action.
As you can imagine, I am currently looking through all those lovely recipes on the Forum, trying to decide what I should cook that would be easy and would ease me into TM cooking, in a gentle manner. I read the thread about what owners cooked first etc and found it very interesting. I am really into sauces, both sweet and savoury, so it will probanly be something along these lines.
I live in the UK and notice that a lot of the recipes contain "CUP" measurements. These have always baffled me (needless to say,I am easily baffled) and wonder if anyone knows where I can get a full list of the conversion of cup to ounces/grams? I seem to remember that liquid and solids are different, or am I imagining this??
Having read everything I can on this forum in the last month or so, I am assuming I'll buy my new toy as soon as I can after my demo.You have left no doubt in my mind that I will love it.(See how much faith I have in you all?)   Just like to say a big thankyou to everyone who has helped me in the last few weeks. I've probably asked some pretty daft questions and, if I buy a TM, I'm afraid I will be asking a few more. I'll apologise in advance. Thanks again everyone. I just have to add that I applied the spellchecker to this message before I posted it, and the only word it picked out was.... yes, you've guessed.... Thermomix!!!! It suggested I use Thematics or Thermometer. That raised a smile, I can tell you.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Demo Arranged At Long Last
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 04:32:12 pm »
That's great news.You're going to love the demo using the TM.
I don't know the procedure but I can't see why you can't order the TM there and then.You can certainly order it over the phone without a demo. They may offer you an extra bowl at a reduced price for a limited period after your demo.
The Australian cup measurement is different to the American cup measurement.
The Australian 1 cup holds 250 ml. The American cup holds 8oz.
Add to that an Australian Tablespoon = 20ml as our Tablespoon= 15ml, the Teaspoon is the same 5ml.I have never been able to find an Australian conversion chart of cups into grams but there maybe one out there.
If you see a recipe with cup measurements you can always ask for the conversion into grams,the members are very obliging and will find out for you.
Ask any questions we were all Newbies once.This forum is all about helping each other. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:30:03 pm »
Great to hear you've got a demo sorted.

And just to add to the confusion, then there the receipes using the "measuring cup" of the TMX as the cup measure!  (that cup is 100mL)

Water and similar water-based liquids (eg wine, stock liquid) are 1mL=1g, so a cup of water is 250ml and it is 250g.
Other liquids (eg oil) are less dense - so when I make a recipe the first time I try and remember to measure it and note down the weight.  I've found my cooking oil is about 100ml=85g.

The thing I've found since getting my TMX is that it does far MORE than I learned about at the demo. You are probably more aware than I was since you've been on here looking around already.  ;D 
I ordered mine at my demo and it took about 10 days for my consultant to receive it (they I think get shipped over from Australia to NZ, so probably will be faster for you).  Then we had to arrange a delivery demo, so it was a few weeks for me - was a loooooong few weeks LOL. 
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:02:15 pm »
So happy you are having your demo. 

You will find 1,000's of  web sites that will compare /convert  Imperial measurements to metric to US measurements. Just use Mr Google. You can download a PDF doc or keep  a conversion web site handy or if you have  a smart device there are hundreds of instant conversion apps.

This site compares ounces , pounds and metric.  http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/equiv.htm

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 09:24:33 pm »

Great news to hear you've finally  been able to arrange a demo - you've certainly had to work hard for it . . ;D

Please rest assured that on this forum there is no such thing as a "daft" question - except, of course, the one that has not been asked!  I think you'd be surprised at how much we've all learned from discussions that have arisen from questions the poster has deemed as "silly" .  :D

Hope you have a lovely time with your demo - and, in the meantime, there is so much information, - blogs, youtube, etc, online.

If you haven't seen them already, you might like to take a look at these . . .

http://www.youtube.com/user/teninastestkitchen

Looking forward to hearing your reactions to your demo!! :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 10:20:16 pm »
Here's an Australian chart which shows what various ingredients weigh when given in cup or part thereof measurements. It is a guide only so I would suggest you buy a set of Australian cup measurements if you can.  If you can't find any, just let me know and I will buy a set & send it over for you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 05:44:48 am »
Wonderful news. Do let us know how it all goes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:21:59 pm »
Here's an Australian chart which shows what various ingredients weigh when given in cup or part thereof measurements. It is a guide only so I would suggest you buy a set of Australian cup measurements if you can.
Thanks for the conversion website Judy.I couldn't find it :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 09:44:29 pm »
That's unusual for you CC, you are pretty good at it  ;D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.