Author Topic: Convince me I should buy this  (Read 12848 times)

Offline past94x

• View Profile
Convince me I should buy this
« on: December 12, 2012, 07:03:09 pm »
You're all going to hate me, but I am in the midst of deciding whether to buy the Thermomix.Do all you owners love yours? It's a lot of money to spend. My husband says I've got enough gadgets (processor, mixer, ice cream maker etc) but this machine seems like a little bit of magic to me. Should I buy one?

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: Convince me I should buy this
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 07:15:02 pm »
Lol ;D,
Wrong place to ask if we all love out TMs, because we are all going to say yes. And do we think you should buy one? Of cause the answer is yes again ;D
Have a demo and make sure your Husband is there as well and hopefully you won't have to make the decision as he will make it for you when he sees how great they are (it's worked for lots of other members who's husbands ha e been a bit skeptical) ;D
Good luck :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:19:10 pm »
Welcome past96x.
We are all TM fanatics here and completely in love with our TM's.Why not have a demo to see for yourself the full potential of the TM.I agree it is a lot of money but I think worth every penny.Would I buy another one if mine died,yes, without hesitation.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 09:14:32 pm »
I'm a gadget fanatic myself, so it was a bit like that for me too...yes, it can do bread and pasta dough, but so could the breadmaker and the stand mixer.  It can make juice/smoothies - yep, got that covered too.

Really, it does not perform complete miracles - the things you can make, you *could* make another way...but it is just so versatile!  It does it ALL.  And often a lot better than what I used to have (eg slushy ice drinks). 
And the speed you can prepare things is amazing.  I cannot believe how quickly some crumbly cookie mixtures come together!
And not having to stand over things like hollandaise, lemon curd & custard (things I LOOOOOVE, but hardly ever made as they were too much hassle) while they cook is fantastic. 

I find I am cooking things I would never have dreamed of attempting before.  My husband likes everything about it now - except for the noise as we have an open plan kitchen/dining/living area!  (and that's because I was making fudge for xmas presents and it was cooking for 20mins while he was watching TV - usually not a big issue)

I have sold some of my old appliances, and giving the mixer to mum for Xmas, so that's also cleared up some cupboard space.  And I seriously use it multiple times every day.  It's been getting extra use with Xmas presents (Jam, fudge, relish...), but even without that I am cooking breakfast and dinner in it everyday.  Plus baking for the kids lunchboxes and afternoon tea, and often a smoothie or fruit/vege juice too. 

It is a big purchase, so definitely a good time to be asking if it's worth it!  For me the answer is definitely YES!  ;D
(says me who has had it for just a few weeks - but I can't see my enthusiasm dwindling away any time soon!)
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:56:36 pm »
Lol ;D,
Wrong place to ask if we all love out TMs, because we are all going to say yes. And do we think you should buy one? Of cause the answer is yes again ;D
Welcome past96x.
We are all TM fanatics here and completely in love with our TM's.

Hi past94x, welcome to the forum, Dede and Cornish Cream's quotes say it all and Jo from NZ just topped it off.  If you read around the forum you will see how many people have also saved money on meals, etc. after purchasing a TMX so it really does pay for itself after a surprisingly short period of time.

For me, there was no question about purchasing our TMX - my food processor had (conveniently, I've got to say) just died and I needed something to replace it and the TMX just fell into my lap (so to speak) at the right time - I have never regretted the purchase and the 'after sales service' of the members here has been nothing short of superb, everyone is very supportive and helpful, as Deedub has said on her one year anniversary thread today, she wouldn't have done many of the things she now does today if it hadn't have been for the forum.

So, in a word, YES I think you should buy a TMX and you will never look back - you will become as enthusiastic as the rest of us on here before you know it.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:28:07 pm »
Hi Past 96x, I would say at least 90 percent of us on here are foodies and like you had or have everything for the kitchen took me a year to justify buying one, WOW do I love it, we all do, does your hubby have a hobby and would he buy something to give him pleasure? It's your decision but I really doubt you would regret it.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 12:11:09 am »
I've got to admit, unlike so many others on this site who are tremendous cooks, I am not, I simply needed something that was quick and reliable and the food was good at the end and that is exactly what the TMX is.  Our food quality has improved no end since we got the TMX and our local restaurants are ruing the day we purchased it as we don't go out for meals nearly as often as we used to.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:30 am »
Welcome Past94x - yes you should buy a TM. Of course you need it. Go for it...you will NOT regret it.  :D
Love love love my TM.  :-*
:D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 12:20:57 am »
Hi past94x, welcome to the forum. You are not the first to ask us this question as it is a lot of money to spend on a kitchen appliance.  There is not a lot to add to the messages already posted, the girls have said it all but you will find yourself making things you never thought of - eg worcestershire sauce, playdough, washing machine powder, dishwashing powder etc etc.  The Thermomix is part of the family and we would all find it hard to live without now - it goes on holidays with some so that speaks for itself.  Have your demo, see it in action for yourself and you will never regret buying it and do as was suggested, make sure hubby is at the demo.  Men are most impressed with the machine.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Chickie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 02:59:38 am »
If you are unsure, do a lot of research. There are plenty of reviews on the net. Also ask yourself what type of cook are you and are you willing to completely change the way you cook as the thermomix requires its own style which I personally have found easy to do. Some people prefer to cook in the way they have always done and find it hard to change when they get their thermomix.

I absolutely love how quick and easy it is to whip up things that I have never attempted before and how delicious they have been. I do research the recipes that I am attempting and make sure they have good reviews so that I don't have many flops :)

The only downside to my thermomix is I don't have enough time to play with it!!! I would love to spend all day making things because I enjoy being able to make everything so easily from scratch. Things like mayonnaise, stock, jam, butter which I can then use in all of the lovely recipes I have found.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy cupcakes - and that's kind of the same thing :)

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 03:14:30 am »
If you need convincing, you have definitely come to the right place! I don't think anyone on here would tell you NOT to buy one. Unlike you, I didn't have a lot of gadgets before I got my TMX, but now that I'm cooking so much more and trying new things I would love an ice cream maker, pasta machine, big freezer lol. It is a lot of money, but these machines seem to go on forever and they end up saving you money because you can make almost everything from scratch if you have the time.
Go on, do it!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 03:27:12 am »
Hi past94x and welcome. The girls have pretty much summed it up. It took me 18 months to book a demo and buy my tmx. I regret not doing it sooner. I cant imagine life without it. I have sold or given away my other gadgets as they are no where near as good as my thermie. Book a demo with hubby and see what happens. Love love love my thermie.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:00 am »
Welcome. This was a good place to ask your question. True we all love our machines but I think that the fact how much we use them is testament to the fact of how useful they are. I am no great foodie, I just love cooking from scratch. I now make all my own bread( true the bread machine can do it, but I get more satisfaction from using the thermomix) I never made my own curry pastes, I do now and several different ones. I used to use stock cubes, no longer, I make my own stock bases and it doesn't involve boiling things for hours on the stove.
I could rave on but will stop myself. If you can possibly afford it, buy one. You won't regret it. As everyone says make sure your DH is at the first demonstration.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

mcmich

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 05:30:14 am »
Welcome to the forum. Not a lot more I can add. I showed my husband a few videos on youtube.

He still thought it was a lot of money but now he goes to the classes with me and one of his favourite dishes is risotto, so easy in the TMX.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 05:39:10 am »
Ditto everyone it is worth every cent  :)