Author Topic: Booked a demonstration!  (Read 41953 times)

Offline LynnUK

• View Profile
Re: Booked a demonstration!
« Reply #75 on: June 22, 2012, 01:58:25 pm »
Many thanks to you all for your good wishes. 

I am delighted to say that I have now recovered from the dreaded virus.  Honestly, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy - not that I think I have enemies, but one never knows!  LOL.

I have just had an email from the  demonstrator confirming my booking for 30 June.  He sounded really helpful and suggested I think of my favourite recipies and he will give advice on how to convert them.  I thought that was so helpful.

I think that one recipe book comes as standard and the Indian cookbook is given this month as an extra.  Is there another book that you would recommend I buy at the same time?  I already own dozens and dozens of cookbooks - can't resist them and hope to adapt recipes as soon as I have learnt the basics.

Best wishes to you all.

Lynn

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 22, 2012, 02:04:52 pm »
I know you are in the UK Lynn but the very best book to buy is For Foods Sake by Teninia I am sure many would concur. I could toss out every  book bar the EDC and FFS. Forget about the  Thermomix cookbooks as they are so  out of style.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2012, 02:24:12 pm »
Glad you are feeling better now Lynn.  Yes, you get Fast and Easy Cooking as the basic book.  I had Taste of Asia as an extra when I bought mine, but don't use it as am not keen on Far Eastern food.  For Food's Sake is not available in the UK unfortunately, although I had an e-mail from Thermomix Australia saying that they will ship to the UK.  I had though of getting Full Steam Ahead to encourage me to make more use of the Varoma, but I don't know how good it is.  Have fun at your demo  ;D

JB
Rosemary from Bournemouth formerly Gloucestershire

Offline Shirlmac

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2012, 10:06:55 pm »
You must be getting excited Lynn - not long until your demo now. The Full Steam Ahead cook book really didn't appeal to me at all. I just bought For Foods Sake & it's a gorgeous book. In the TM books I have the Indian and the Meat books - both of these have some great recipes, although lacking in pictures I have used these a lot. I have used the forum for recipes many times and won't even cook a recipe out of the books until I check out the reviews first :). I don't know if you have the rubbery mat in the UK but that is something I use constantly in my bread making to wrap the dough in to prove & roll out pastry etc. (I bought an Ikea mat for $10 rather than buying the Thermomix one though). Glad you are better now. Have a great weekend!
Eat well, train hard and enjoy life! :)

Offline LynnUK

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2012, 12:20:47 pm »
Thanks Gert, JB and Shirlmac,

I am hoping - perhaps in vain - that all the books will be available at the demonstration so that I can have a good look at them.  One way or another I will buy For Food's Sake as Tenina seems to be the doyenne of Thermomix.  I wish Amazon stocked  this.  The only one they have is the Spanish recipe book which - translated into English - doesn't have a good write up.  I have even tried Amazon US.  Thermomix don't make things easy do they?  It feels like trying to join a secret society and having to undergo an initiative test!!  LOL.  "First task is to find a demonstrator!"

If I can't get the book via the demonstrator, I will try to have it shipped.

Roll on next Saturday!  I am getting excited.  I spent the morning ogling the TMX on 'Saturday Kitchen' and wondering why it sits in glory on a shelf but I have never seen it used!  Has anyone else?

I searched the BBC Saturday Kitchen website and the only recipe I could find using a TMX had a two hour prep time!  I will have to write and ask for some TMX presentations on the show!!

Lynn

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2012, 12:33:50 pm »
For Foods Sake is fantastic.Tenina very kindly shipped it to me here, the postage is very expensive but the book is worth every penny that it cost me ;)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2012, 12:44:17 pm »
Don' t waste you money on the official TMX cookbooks. It Tenina's books cost  £ 50 to get it to you it is worth it. Perhaps someone can bring it to you. Forget about the Spanish one. I bought it on Kindle then deleted it.  You will never get a demonstrator to supply Tenina's book. Don't waste your efforts.

There must be hundreds of demos on you tube for the TMX including Stef's ones in German but doesn't matter the language. Lots of good stuff on superkitchenmachine.com and you should buy a couple of her spatulas as well.

Temins's you tube stuff is nearly ready so  wait for those. She also has lots of her recipes on Face Book.

Gert

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »
Don' t waste you money on the official TMX cookbooks. It Tenina's books cost  £ 50 to get it to you it is worth it. Perhaps someone can bring it to you. Forget about the Spanish one. I bought it on Kindle then deleted it.  You will never get a demonstrator to supply Tenina's book. Don't waste your efforts.

There must be hundreds of demos on you tube for the TMX including Stef's ones in German but doesn't matter the language. Lots of good stuff on superkitchenmachine.com and you should buy a couple of her spatulas as well.

Temins's you tube stuff is nearly ready so  wait for those. She also has lots of her recipes on Face Book.

Gert
Don't forget the useful brushes in your order if you do send for the spatulas Lynn.They are great for cleaning around the blades of the TM.I also use them to clean around my taps in the bathroom :D :D
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2012, 01:00:45 pm »
I don't know if you have the rubbery mat in the UK but that is something I use constantly in my bread making to wrap the dough in to prove & roll out pastry etc.

You can get similar mats here from Amazon .  Mine is a Kitchen Craft one too, but I paid about £20 for it, so not sure what the quality is like on this one as it is so much cheaper.

I agree Lynn, the Spanish TMX book from Amazon UK hasn't had good reviews.

JB

Offline LynnUK

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2012, 01:05:16 pm »
Thank you Gert and Cornish Cream.

I have now signed up to Tenina's website and tried to order For Food's Sake.

The bad news is that the book is sold out!  The good news is that it is being reprinted and will be available sometime in July.  The even better news is that Tenina has done a deal to ship across Europe from the UK which will save a lot of money on postage.  

It seems that Tenina has grasped the concept of the global village.  Good for her, she deserves huge success for her businesslike approach and attempts to satisfy her customers.

I shall definitely buy her book!

Lynn

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2012, 01:10:12 pm »
 The even better news is that Tenina has done a deal to ship across Europe from the UK which will save a lot of money on postage.  

That's excellent news!  ;D

JB

Offline LynnUK

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2012, 01:17:19 pm »
Hi JB,

I have just looked at the Amazon link and wonder if I need the mat?  I have granite worktops and tend to roll out straight onto them.  Seems to work.

I will buy the spatulas though - and the brushes - although I use this

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/21572/SonicScrubber-Bathroom-Brush

to clean around the taps.  No effort!  LOL.

Lynn

Offline gertbysea

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2012, 01:30:57 pm »
I have granite  too and it is great for pastry. The silicone mat however is good for wrapping  your dough. 

Helene's brushes are really good around the blades, the unit itself and your keyboard. Her spatula is gold . Best I have ever owned. I have 4 now and use them constantly.

Gert

Offline JuliaBalbilla

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2012, 02:22:33 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have granite and bits of dough / flour are a pain to clean up from our worksurface, hence the mat, which can just be flung in the sink to soak.  For wrapping dough I use a linen couche cloth floured with rye flour.

I do like the look of Helene's brushes but my bank charges quite a lot if you want to pay in any currency other than £, so it's only worth it if you are buying a lot of items at the same time.  I have a Euro pre-payment card to allow me to buy stuff from the Euro Zone, but I don't think we can get them for CAN$  :(

Lynn, I wonder if the bristles on the SonicScrubber are long enough to clean the blades.  I use a toothbrush ATM which works fairly well but could do with something with slightly longer bristles ...

JB

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2012, 04:03:55 pm »
JB I will be sending for some more brushes so if you wanted anything PM me and I'll include it I'm my order. ;D