Author Topic: Coconut Sorbet  (Read 14955 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Coconut Sorbet
« on: July 13, 2011, 10:41:43 am »
Although this is to be made in an Ice Cream machine,  I think the basic mixture could be set in Ice block trays and then zapped in the TMX to make the  Sorbet,  I haven't tried it.

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 cups of coconut milk
1/2 cup of water extra
2 Tablespoons of Lime juice.

Dissolve sugar in water in TMX bowl,  heat to 100o,  and boil for 1 min.
Add everything else to bowl and zap to combine.
Cool and process in Ice Cream machine.

OR

Freeze in Ice  Block trays and Zap as needed in TMX.

Members' comments
Lellyj - Thanks for this recipe, Chookie.  I gave it a test run tonight with light coconut cream (400ml tin) that I had in the cupboard and just added a bit extra water.  I bought one of those Cuisinart ice-cream makers that many of us purchased from Kitchendirect a few months ago and haven't had the chance to use it much, so I churned it in that.  Its been "ripening in the freezer for about two hours and it tastes delicious.  My son is having a group of friends from his hiking trip to India over on Friday night and we're cooking an Indian meal, so I thought this sorbet would work well for a refreshing dessert.  Thanks for sharing.

Just to let you know your recipe was a big hit with the group of teenagers who came for dinner to reconnect after their hike in India. I'd had it in the freezer for a couple of days. 10 mins out of the freezer and it had returned to a good serving consistency.

I have made this several times now, I prefer it with coconut cream, rather than milk. I use a tin, then top up with water to get to 2 cups.  

Katiej - followed Lelly's suggestion and used coconut cream. If I made it again, I'd probably add a squeeze more lime.
Our guests said it was delicious. DH thought it was a tad too "coconutty". The texture is still really nice the next day.

ThermomixBlogger - It's so simple and lovely.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:21:26 pm by judydawn »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Coconut Sorbet
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 11:36:53 am »
Sounds refreshing Chookie.  Will put it aside until the warmer months when I think we'll enjoy this.  ;D

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 11:43:59 am »
JulieO,  good idea,  too cold for ice cream for me , although DH will eat it any time.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:31:10 pm »
Thanks Chookie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline annehenshaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 02:59:26 am »
what if you don't own an ice cream machine? I was thinking of using young coconut, sugar and ice, like in the recipe book that comes with the TM but I'm not confident that it would be all that great

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:18:02 am »
annehenshaw,  I think this would be Ok,  but might need some lime or lemon juoce.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 03:32:04 pm »
Thanks for this recipe, Chookie.  I gave it a test run tonight with light coconut cream (400ml tin) that I had in the cupboard and just added a bit extra water.  I bought one of those Cuisineart icecream makers that many of us purchased from Kitchendirect a few months ago and haven't had the chance to use it much, so I churned it in that.  Its been "ripening in the freezer for about two hours and it tastes delicous.  My son is having a group of friends from his hiking trip to India over on Friday night and we're cooking an Indian meal, so I thought this sorbet would work well for a refreshing desert.  Thanks for sharing.
Teacher and Mum in Phillip Island, Victoria

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 11:28:22 pm »
Thanks LellyJ,  let us know if they like it. Weather warming up here so will try it soon.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 03:49:25 am »
Hi Chookie

Just to let you know your recipe was a big hit with the group of teenagers who came for dinner to reconnect after their hike in India.
 I really wanted an Indian inspired desert for them (I made butter chicken, balti vegetable curry, and tarka dahl with chapatis from the Indian cookbook for main and "cheated" and bought in samosas and pakoras from the local Indian restaurant).  I churned the sorbet in my icecream maker and had had it in the freezer for a couple of days. 10 mins out of the freezer and it had returned to a good serving consistency.  I also made mango kulfti from the Indian cookbook and this on the other hand set like an absolute brick, needing more than half an hour out of the fridge to get to a scoopable or even sliceable consistency. The two flavours went really well however as the coconut sorbet is very sweet (really needs the lime juice) and I had to use tinned mangos for the kulfti and with the yogurt it was amost tart.  I served a Nankathai biscuit, also from the Indian cookbook with them.  I was really pleased with the result and the kids gobbled it all down!  Thanks for sharing a think this will be a handy recipe to serve after a Thai meal as well.

BTW, I was curious so I looked up "Cherokee" on google maps.  We are off to Woodend tonight to have dinner with a group of friends who meet regularly for a gourmet dinner--have been doing this twice a year for over 6 years!. Luckily I'm on breakfast as I feel kind of cooked out after yesterday!  I will wave in your general direction!  

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 04:06:40 am »
LellyJ, you definitely need a break from cooking duties after the mammoth Indian inspired evening.  Have a great evening!!!  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 06:11:18 am »
LellyJ,  what a meal.  i hope they all feel very spoilt.  Glad the coconut ice was Ok.  Next time you come this way you may like to stop in for a coffee.  We are 10/15 mins from Woodend.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 02:11:55 pm »
Thanks Johnro and Chookie!  I did feel very proud of myself and am constantly pleased and amazed at what the tmx allows me to achieve.  Chookie, I would certainly love to take you up on your offer for coffee--I would absolutely love to talk TMX and bread etc with you!  My best friend is a gp in Woodend and I have another friend who lives in Gisborne so I'm across that side of town probably 4 times a year. I will message you on one of my next visits and see if there is a time that suits. How exciting!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 10:37:43 pm »
LellyJ,  great, look forward to meeting.

Offline Lellyj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 07:00:11 am »
I have made this several times now, I prefer it with coconut cream, rather than milk. I use a tin, then top up with water to get to 2 cups.  I use my icecream maker to churn it in then let it "ripen" in the freezer.  If you take it out of the freezer 10 minutes before you want to serve it, it is a beautiful texture. As Chookie says, I think the tmx method of freezing the mix  in icecube trays would work too.

THanks again, Chookie, btw, I didn't get to Woodend this school holidays, but I still hope to meet you one of these days!

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 08:37:41 am »
Lellyj,  looking forward to it.