Author Topic: Custard help  (Read 6186 times)

Offline Paul

• View Profile
Custard help
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:22:38 am »
Help please!

I'm still having custard issues.  My usual base for icecream is 5 egg yolks, half a cup of sugar and 500ml of milk/cream mix.  If I try this on 90 it curdles.  I tried it on 80 and it doesn't thicken as much as if I do it by hand.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Paul

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
Re: Custard help
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:04:30 am »
if you're making icecream does it really matter? aren't you going to crush / blend it when frozen anyway?
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 09:05:41 am »
If it curdles it's no good for ice cream, sadly

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 09:11:18 am »
ah ok, sorry! i've never made icecream like that ;)

hopefully someone with some knowledge can help  :P
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 09:53:32 am »
Thanks Karen I'm sure there will be otherwise, I will just have to experiment

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 09:42:10 pm »
One suggestion - left field stuff.  WHip the cream with butterfly.  Remove most - add yolks and sugar and cream these without heat (butterfly and speed 4 about 3 minutes) - when creamed add milk and cook at 80 degrees until thickish then add whipped cream and mix with butterfly still in,  cook for a short time extra ?  Have done this with zabaglione to give some extra "stiffness"

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 09:45:30 pm by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 07:17:29 am »
Well I've done some experimenting and have come up with a solution.  I think this is one of those temperamental things that depends on whether the eggs are out of the fridge or on room temperature.  Anyway, for anyone that's interested I used the butterfly with the egg yolks and sugar for 5 mins on 4, at 50 C.  Then I added the cream and milk.  These take a while to heat up straight from the fridge, I think it's more gradual than on a stove.  I then went for 8 minutes on 90 speed 3 as suggested, and custard was not cooked.  Kept going in 2 minute intervals, then 1 minute.  It took 15 minutes to thicken to the right degree, and a perfect result I have to say.  I think maybe if used on 80 C you would need to go for even longer, but there would be no risk of curdling.  I am however going to use 80 C for Hollandaise, as I think this is even more temperamental.  Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 09:39:37 am »
Glad to see you finally got there Paul - I like your persistence :P :P
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 10:50:08 am »
Thanks Paul - I am sure that there would be chefs who could give us the answers - especially here in France, Italy and Spain.

Great to see you persevere!!!  It is now there for eternity.  :-* :-* (It is acceptable for men to kiss here in Europe)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.