Author Topic: Difference between Gow Gee and Wonton wrappers?  (Read 34214 times)

Offline Lilli33

• View Profile
Re: Difference between Gow Gee and Wonton wrappers?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 03:43:33 am »
Cool thanks guys. My efforts came unstuck when didn't quite use enough corn flour to stop them sticking, needless to say it was tricky when I went to fill them. I will try again, but a few days later I bought a pack for $2.55 at the Chinese grocers near hubby's work... Oh that was easy. (as much as I am making lots of things from scratch at the moment, it is taking time up) so now I also have them  in the freezer for a quick lunch or something one weekend. Hehehe
TC owner from Adelaide. Thanks for sharing the journey and inspiring me to cook new things.

Mum to DS 9 DD7 and DS almost 2

Offline MargC

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 07:52:58 am »
Yes the cornflour is rather essential isn't it. I learnt the hard way!  :'(

Maybe someone can clarify this for me but I thought wonton dough was made with flour, eggs & a little water & gow gee dough was made with flour & JUST water. The eggs make a dough that is easier to work & can be rolled paper thin, whereas gow gee is not as robust.  ???

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 07:59:43 am »
My Chinese DIL,  explained the difference to me but I then immediately forgot. :o
The difference is that the flour and water ones are for steaming and the egg ones can be boiled.  I think I have got this right. ;D

Offline MargC

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 08:03:38 am »
My Chinese DIL,  explained the difference to me but I then immediately forgot. :o
The difference is that the flour and water ones are for steaming and the egg ones can be boiled.  I think I have got this right. ;D

Yes that makes sense. Pasta is an egg dough & you can boil  that.

Thanks for the clarification.