Author Topic: Christmas gifts for kinder and school teachers - suggestions?  (Read 11521 times)

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
Christmas gifts for kinder and school teachers - suggestions?
« on: November 18, 2010, 02:19:51 am »
Hi all,

I would like the kids to make some inexpensive Christmas gifts that they can give to their teachers.  What would you suggest? I was thinking edible but that's just me... so any ideas would be appreciated. I'm still trying to get my head around making washing detergent in my main food preparation tool...

At least one of the teachers is a real chocolate fiend and is planning on having a TMX demo early next year, so I thought I could tempt her further... The only other thing I need to be careful with is not using nuts. The teachers themselves are not allergic to nuts but I can't send them to school/kinder because there are other children who are and I really don't want to be the one who causes a child to become sick.

Cheers,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline Terri

• View Profile
Re: Christmas gifts for kinder and school teachers - suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 03:01:09 am »
hmmm what good timing your post has, unfortunately i havent any ideas but i too will be reading as i need to get onto this, with the nuts issue you could still make with nuts but make sure gift is packaged, your hands have been washed well and inform the techer that its contains nuts, they generally wouldnt eat it right there anyway. Just a thought. I will put my thinking cap on though!!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 03:29:15 am »
I love Tenina's fudge, but it would need to be made without nuts.  Hmmmmmm.  ???

I also really like the chocolate truffles from the UK book.  They are a little fiddly but taste divine and can be package nicely.  :)

Offline Terri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 03:55:03 am »
oooohhh fudge is a fantastic idea, i will just have to be sure not to eat it all before giftwrapping and delivery  ;D

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 06:25:54 am »
Chelsea,

Tenina's Fudge was my first choice too... Maybe I will just plaster the outside with "Nut Warnings" and be done with it. Was also thinking of giving it with a bottle of the berry cordial.

I will check out those truffles too.

Cheers,
Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 04:25:45 am »
what about chocolate bark? http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/15034/white+chocolate+bark

you can make it with any combination of chocolates, and with nuts or any kind of crushable lolly (clinkers are good :))

also the clinker slice (search on here) would be great
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 04:43:12 am »
I was looking at the gorgeous Christmas mugs in Lincraft, and my DH suggested getting plain white mugs and have the girls hand print them, and then paint their name and year on them.  I thought that was a great idea!  But not quite sure whether it will happen.  Then the plan would be to put some nice treats with them.  I can't go past Quirk Jo's Raw Cacao Treat Balls.  And they are so easy to make.
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 03:08:35 am »
Chelsea,

Tenina's Fudge was my first choice too... Maybe I will just plaster the outside with "Nut Warnings" and be done with it. Was also thinking of giving it with a bottle of the berry cordial.

I will check out those truffles too.

Cheers,
Kerryn

I receive things with nuts in them at the end of the year (I am a teacher).  It's a good excuse not to share them.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 09:43:57 am »
I receive things with nuts in them at the end of the year (I am a teacher).  It's a good excuse not to share them.  ;D ;D ;D

Aaah, but of course! Should have thought of that...

Kerryn
Kerryn

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 12:22:58 pm »
I had a tradition with my older children of giving their teachers a Rocky Road Christmas tree that I learnt how to make at a craft group years ago. The teachers always loved it and in the end other teachers were commenting that they would like to have some. I then homeschooled my children for a number of years so didn't make it but my youngest DD was at kindy last year so I made one for her teacher and the teacher's aide and they were very enthusiastic about them. These tress contain nuts but I wrap them in cellophane once they are decorated and give them to the teachers last thing on the last day of school so they can take them straight home. Will have to get the ingredients together to make them for this year as my DD is at pre-primary. They are not a TMX recipe but I can probably chop the nuts in the TMX. From memory they were in a Food Ideas mag quite a while ago.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 04:54:20 am »
I remember receiving  these Roxy. Delicious.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline cathy79

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 11:41:22 am »
Love the idea of Rocky Road Christmas Trees.  Can you post the instructions Roxy?
Helping you to take back control over what your family eats, one meal at a time.
Email thermomix.darlingdowns@gmail.com

Offline RoxyS

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 03:16:30 am »
Hi Cathy, sorry I haven't got onto this earlier. Haven't been on the forum for a couple of days.

You need to start with an A4 piece of cardboard which I lay & staple a piece of baking paper on and then roll up to form a cone which I then staple and sticky tape together. Sit this in a tall glass or vase. You will probably need two of these. Trim the opening so that it will sit straight when filled with the rocky road.

[b Rocky Road Christmas Tree

Ingredients[/b]
700g milk chocolate melts, melted
250g dark chocolate melts, melted
500g marshmallows
250g salted peanuts

Decorations
100g white chocolate melts, melted
100g dark chocolate melts, melted
coloured chocolate bits or mini M&Ms

Construction
In a large bowl combine the melted chocolate with the marshmallows & peanuts. Mix well to combine. Spoon mixture into cone/s, pressing down well. Allow the cone to stand upside down in the vase/jar for a few hours in the fridge to set. It can then be stored on its side in the fridge, for up to 3 weeks, until ready to decorate and give.

To decorate: melt the chocolate in separate bowls and I use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the "tree" by holding the tree on its side and turning it slowly as I move the spoon to drizzle the chocolate to give it the appearance of tinsel. Working quickly, press some mini M&Ms or coloured chocolate bits into the tinsel to give the appearance of lights. You can add something on the top to make a star.

I then usually pop it back in the fridge to set the chocolate and then wrap in cellophane and tie with ribbon. 

Offline AMH

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 10:45:26 am »
Those trees sound amazing- I will have to bookmark them for next year.  DD1 has peanut anaphylaxis but I'm sure I could sub in something else-maybe shredded coconut.

I am making christmas shortbread with craisins dipped in white chocolate, lime & craisin fudge and rocky road w clinkers.  Will post photos when I'm done.  The recipes are all on the forum and steph berg's blog-just subbing things to replace the nuts.  My mum's group is getting baked goodies this year too-no one else is allergic to nuts in it so I can do the full recipe for the christmas shortbread.  I am a bit hesitant to take nuts to childcare- school aged kids know not to eat what they are allergic to but 2 year olds.... :o ;D

Offline KerrynN

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 08:14:08 am »
I finished my boxed goodies for the teachers in time for the last day of school yesterday. I was planning on fudge but another mum in our class (also a TMX owner) beat me to it. So I ended up with a selection of Gingerbread stars, trees, and angels, Red and Green Shortbread dipped in dark chocolate, Chocolate Hazelnut Kisses (all from the Festive Cookbook) and Chocolate Candy Cane Cookies (adapted from an online recipe).

They were well received except for complaints about expanding waist lines...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 08:15:46 am by KerrynN »
Kerryn