Author Topic: Overloaded Sheppie Pie  (Read 3794 times)

Offline darls

• View Profile
Overloaded Sheppie Pie
« on: March 20, 2010, 12:22:45 pm »
Name of Recipe: Overloaded Sheppie Pie
Number of People: Enough for 10 to 12 people or freeze the half!
Ingredients:

2 onions (peeled and halved)
1 or 2 teaspoons garlic (crushed, I used one from jar)
1 bagful of mushrooms
250g pumpkin (seeded and skinless,etc)
1 small radish (I got one in fridge that I need to use up...)
2 med zucchinis
2 med carrots
1 small green capsicum
1 jar of pasta sauce (500g)
1 tin of chick peas (400g) - drained and rinsed
200g thinly sliced broccoli florets
1kg potatoes (peeled and chopped)
1/4 cup cheese (grated - I used one from last cooking - perconi mixed with lemon zest)
dollops of butter (preferred homemade from TMX!  ;D )

Preparation:

Before you begin, put potatoes in pot and have it boiled to tender while you do the next steps below.

1. Put in onions with garlic, have it chopped then saute for 3 mins at 1 on 100c.
2. Throw in mushrooms - chop it quickly and saute it further for 2 mins at 1 on 100c.
3. Pop in pumpkin and radish, chop them into the mixture and saute for a min. Then pour this mixture on the bottom of a casserole dish (large one preferred).

4. Have both zucchinis, capsicum and carrots in for some fine chopping and pour in the pasta sauce, have it 'cooked' for 5 mins at 1 on 100c - depends how hot your bowl is anyway.
5. Add the chickpeas and thrash it lightly for 10 secs at 4. Then pour this sauce mixture on top of the above mixture.

6. Add the sliced broccoli florets on top.

7. Have the potatoes mashed to your preference - I mashed it with butter and milk along with bit of salt, then put in some of the cheese n lemon mixture for flavour.

8. Put the mashed potatoes on top of the mixtures in the casserole and sprinkle some cheese and dollop several butters on top.

9. Bung it in the oven for 20 mins at 180degrees (fan forced here).

Very yummy and wholesome - it went well with my family.

Tips/Hints:

The chickpeas can be substituted with cooked mince I guess if wanted meat in the casserole - I had to go vegetarian cos of my little dear nephew.

Frankly I just made up as I go along as I need to use up lots of vegetables and it tasted a bit sweet and light rather than the usual heavy and savoury, if you know what I mean?  :-))

I freeze the half of the casserole for next time. I served this with steamed broccoli and green beans along with buttered sourdough bread. Very filling...

Let me know how yours went.

Cheers!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Overloaded Sheppie Pie
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 05:47:30 am »
Thanks darls.  Great to see a what can I use up out of the fridge/pantry recipe with homely comfort feel.

I am a big fan of putting the veg in and hiding under mash !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.