Author Topic: Festive Spicy Salt and Pork Belly  (Read 16983 times)

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
Festive Spicy Salt and Pork Belly
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:31:34 am »
Just had this for dinner

Toasting the spices for the salt was fun (i.e. it smelled gooooood). Making the salt mix was easy and would make a lovely gift in a wee jar.

There are a few steps in preparing and cooking the pork but all very simple with the recipe to follow, and seems
to work a treat - I was to slow to get a photo, so that probably tells you how tasty it was!!  Yummy crispy skin and beautiful tender meat (and I am not a huge pork fan generally after having some tough bits).

The dipping sauce was yummy, although I am not overly fond of ginger so I cut it down. Was still pretty strong for me, but really I think that's just me!

Definitely a popular meal and will make again as part of xmas dinner, most likely.
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: Festive Spicy Salt and Pork Belly
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:59:43 pm »
I love pork belly when it's cooked right, so I look forward to making this one.  :)

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:03:04 am »
Made this for dinner last night, used a whole bottle of wine to cook the pork in so easy to make. the Flavours were fantastic, the sauce was very thick, but that was my fault. I made the spice salt earlier in the week.  Will be making this again as it was demolished in no time. Forgot to take a photo.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 08:34:59 am »
I think it was about a third of a bottle for mine, but obviously depends on thickness of the belly and size of oven dish.  :)
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline Susie B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 05:46:14 am »
Hi All

Made this for dinner party and It was a hit,  very easy and taste great.  This is definately on the xmas menu

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 11:33:21 am »
Nice photo Susie B - love belly pork so will have to try this recipe next time and see how it compares to my Donna Hay one.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 01:13:39 am »
I love pork belly when it's cooked right, so I look forward to making this one.  :)

We all look forward to you making this one as well, so we can drool over your pic, tho Susies was pretty drool worthy! I had to trial this a few times to get it right…gotta say, just LOVE it…but staying away for a while, as I can eat the entire thing all on my own. THE best.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:18:51 am »
I made the Festive Spicy Salt today.  Very easy to make and they do look cute in jars.... I'm undecided whether these will be part of christmas hampers or whether I'll just keep them for myself. 

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 05:24:21 am »
They look terrific VMS . . What size jars did you use?

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 05:35:22 am »
Good question Goldfish.  I have no idea, but they probably hold about 50g each.  The recipe uses 100g of salt plus the various spices and it fit perfectly into the two jars.

Offline VieveMS

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 09:39:00 am »
I had the Festive Spicy Salt mix already made so when I saw a piece of pork belly in the supermarket today I decided on a whim to make this dish for dinner.  Let me preface this by saying I have never ever cooked pork belly before and haven't eaten it on that many occasions either.

Half way through cooking I honestly didn't think it was going to work.  I hadn't put enough wine in the dish, the crackling wasn't crisping up nicely, etc.  Regardless, I continued.  As my pork belly was just under 0.6kg I didn't need to cook it for the entire time.  I didn't pay any attention to the time when I pulled it out of the oven but I recommend you keep an eye on it once you turn the temperature up.

Let me say, I was wrong.  This dish turned out surprisingly well.  The pork was so tender and the crackling did crisp up nicely.  The only change I would make for next time is to perhaps use less salt as I found it was a bit overpowering in the final dish. 

I only made a half serve of the dipping sauce which was plenty for my smaller servings.  I kept the rest of the dish very simple - served with a lovely bed of fresh lettuce. 

This will not be the last time I make this dish!

Offline the annoyed thyroid

• View Profile
    • The Annoyed Thyroid
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 06:10:17 am »
I really want to try this - but we're only 2 people and will only need about a quarter of the pork belly so was wondering how that would affect the cooking times? And I'm a bit confused about the oven with grill, is that a regular oven like mine? Or do I need something special? It sounds soooo delicious!
"Don't count the days, make the days count." Muhammad Ali

http://www.theannoyedthyroid.com/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 06:36:04 am »
TAT, if you use the 1kg piece of belly pork, there will be enough for 2 plus leftovers for a cold meal later.  I wouldn't cook under 1kg.
I recently took some cold leftovers into Geoff when he was in hospital as the food there was so bland.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 09:53:35 pm »
Love pork belly, will do this when we get home, have lots in the freezer :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline KathD11

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 11:30:06 pm »
I am making this on Christmas Day, cannot wait!! I went into Weigh n Pay to buy the salt ingredients plus some vanilla paste, and the lovely guy serving me said are you making Tenina's... hehehe obviously not the first (or the last) to be trying out this fab recipe  ;D