Author Topic: Thermomat silicone bread mat  (Read 26747 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Thermomat silicone bread mat
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 12:32:55 pm »
My new oven has a digital read out which is great and so accurate. So, do I just heat it up to 50o and turn it off or do I leave it on 50o until the dough has doubled in size? I have been doing the latter (not that I cook a lot of bread), covering it but the dough gets a bit of a skin on it. The recipes have still worked but I'm wondering if I am doing it correctly.  Before my new oven, I used to have to time it right with using the dishwasher and letting the dough sit in there for a while but now I can make bread whenever it takes my fancy.  Once summer comes I might just put it out in the sun to rise. Does this work?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Shayla

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 12:36:05 pm »
I always put it out in the sun if it is warm enough but it is winter here and sometimes it is too cold so then I use the duvet - no electricity costs then.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 12:43:03 pm »
Yes the sun works, so does the dashboard of a car in the sun on a cooler day  ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 12:45:43 pm »
Mine is definitely a silicone one - I can roll it up etc.  I have thrown out my bread mat box so I will go and check it out tomorrow at the store.  I'm wondering if the sales lady told me I could cut it - I wouldn't have thought to do it myself.  :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 01:29:21 pm »
I have a TM silpat but actually dont know what it does, and how to use it - I just bought it because the demonstrator used it to wrap the bread up in while it rose, and it looked like a good thing to buy at the time. I only recently found out that it can be put in the oven. Can someone enlighten me a little more, and is there a max oven temp?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 02:52:39 pm »
It should be safe at any temp in a domestic oven.

The mats have been around for years - mine is the sort that can be safely cut into smaller sizes.

The TMX one is not essential and if it can't be cut, then I would opt for another from the cookery shops.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 06:30:19 am »
I also rise my bread in the oven in the winter. I switch it on to 50 and when the light goes off I open the door and let a bit of heat out and put the dough in there. It seems to rise fairly quickly that way. Or occasionally I put a large bowl of boiling water in the bottom of the oven and put the bread dough on a shelf and close the door. (without the oven on). It sort of rises with a bit of steam in the warmth then.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline spanner

• View Profile
    • Aussies living simply
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 07:10:02 am »
I think it is not essential but a nice to have.

I have been using plain old baking paper for both the rising part of the demo ... wrap in the paper ... and I use fresh stuff ready done on the baking tray.

When you come over today Sundari make sure you have ago at making the bread as there are some little techniques to the whole thing. Particularly the easy way of getting it out of the bowl...... which you may or may not have seen at the cooking demo the other night with Cindy.
==============================

a miniskip past is a treasure lost

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 07:15:51 am »
I also rise my bread in the oven in the winter.
I do too Cookie - too cold here do it anywhere else.  I turn my oven to 50 degrees and set the timer for 4 minutes.  When the timer beeps I turn the oven off and it is the perfect temperature for rising.  I think that tip was in one of the cookbooks ???  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 07:28:02 am »

When you come over today Sundari make sure you have ago at making the bread as there are some little techniques to the whole thing. Particularly the easy way of getting it out of the bowl...... which you may or may not have seen at the cooking demo the other night with Cindy.

Oh right, so now you've joined the secret society you won't pass on tips to all of us  :o :o :o :o

Do you turn the bowl upside down and let it all drop out in one blob ??  ;)

Looks like I'm going to have to sign up ... where's the form?
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline spanner

• View Profile
    • Aussies living simply
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 08:26:24 am »

Oh right, so now you've joined the secret society you won't pass on tips to all of us  :o :o :o :o

Do you turn the bowl upside down and let it all drop out in one blob ??  ;)

Looks like I'm going to have to sign up ... where's the form?

ha ha bloody ha!!   :D

yeah just turn it upside down and twist the blade via the knob and it plops out in one go. You of ALL people do not need any secret hints .... you god like creature you!

;D
==============================

a miniskip past is a treasure lost

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 09:07:32 am »
yeah i don't know all these secrets either!!

thermomixer, if you don't sign up under me i will never forgive you  8) ;D :-* ;)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 09:10:09 am »
thermomixer, if you don't sign up under me i will never forgive you  8) ;D :-* ;)

ROFL - I think there would be a lynch mob sent out after you and whoever was BRAVE enough to sign you up  :o :o ;D ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 10:16:15 am »
lol
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Karen3

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 10:10:32 am »
G'day,
Just for info - a chef at my demo saw me fold my silpat around the dough and told me that the folding would eventually destroy the fibreglass, so now I roll the dough up like a sausage roll and it still works fine.
cheers,
Karen3