Author Topic: When buying 'whole' foods - plastic bag question  (Read 4776 times)

Offline ~Narelle~

• View Profile
When buying 'whole' foods - plastic bag question
« on: July 28, 2009, 06:55:37 am »
Hi
I am planning to buy more 'whole' foods once TMX arrives, but I really don't like getting stuff in plastic bags.  I know I can keep them and reuse, but I really don't like the plastic.  I know I can take my containers in, but in reality that's not easy either with 2 kids and living out of town. 
What do you do?  I am thinking I could sew some calico bags, or my other option was to get a box of big zip lock bags and just reuse them, at least they are nice and thick, seal well etc.  I just really want to cut down on the packaging.
thanks for reading
Narelle

Offline Ceejay

• View Profile
    • wisdom comes in many misguided forms
Re: When buying 'whole' foods - plastic bag question
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:18:33 am »
Our store provides paper bags for purchases from the bulk bins. Maybe buy some of them?

Fruit and veg are usually without any bags unless items like broccoli etc and then I have some fine mesh drawstring bags for those.  :)
The discovery of a new dish does more for the happiness of mankind than the discovery of a star.
~Anthelme Brillat-Savarin~

I don't always cook!  Sometimes I even parent! ;)
musingnmayhem

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:38:52 am »
my store packages into plastic bags anyway so i don't have to deal withthis, sorry
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline eccles2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 01:32:46 pm »
Hi, I don't know if you are in NSW, but if you are, Lincraft sell calico bags for 99c and they are fabulous.  I buy 10  at a time, they can be bleached, thrown in the wash and are really strong.  I sew but couldn't be bothered at this price. I use them at the supermarket, fruit and veg shop, chemist, variety store etc.  I can roll them up and keep two or three in my handbag (and several in the car) I know what you mean about plastic, these are a great option for me.  ;)
eccles2

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 02:18:28 am »
I have these awesome bags called onya weigh they are really light mesh bags that you can wash and reuse to buy vegies, they come in a small bag with a carabina, although I reckon you could put grains in them too, depending on the size. I have the 8pack one -
http://www.onyabags.com.au/shop.php?crn=208&rn=453&action=show_detail
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net