Author Topic: Good new alternative to cream in cooking  (Read 7695 times)

Offline zebraa

• View Profile
Re: Good new alternative to cream in cooking
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 11:37:44 am »
carrageen sounds good and natural but I remember the chemical maze had soem reservations about it I think. Could be wrong.

I don't do preservatives so the Kraft product is knocked straight out on that count alone. I also like less processed foods so only buy pure cream - I love it and prefer to do a non-cream dish if for soem reason I think I have been havin gtoo much of it rather then substituting something for it.

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 11:53:42 am »
I have friends with a Jersey dairy, and I'd love to be able to eat their cream!! If you can handle dairy, I'd definitely go for pure, organic, unadulterated cream! But cream doesn't like me, so I have to go with the cashew or coconut cream.  :'(
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 12:21:01 pm »
I'm a skinny tinny fan, but generally just use cream in cooking. I tried the Philly product and it's not that flash.

If you have trouble adding cream to acid based sauces such as a tomato one, simply mix a tablespoon of so of cornflour with the cream before you add it. This will prevent curdling. Same for milk or evap milk too.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand