Author Topic: Puppy training I know this is a food forum!!!  (Read 4482 times)

Offline joynatalie

• View Profile
Puppy training I know this is a food forum!!!
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:18:03 am »
Hi all I know this is waaaay off topic but I am desperate and I know there is a lot of collective wisdom so apologies but I am at my wti's end.  I am babysitting my friend's beagle puppy who is 12 weeks old and a savage biter! This puppy is literally terrorizing us and I am at this moment fending him off while I type!! How do I stop this I ha ve tried other c hew toys, saying no etc pleas e help!!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Puppy training I know this is a food forum!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:29:09 am »
I am hopeless at puppy training. I would probably do a Google search:  how to stop my puppy from biting
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline natmum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 12:07:31 pm »
He is trying to dominate you all. So take the power away. Lock him somewhere everytime he does this with a stern NO. We put our puppy in the bathroom. Good luck
Nat

Offline katesjoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 12:09:25 pm »
My dog is a biter, and l am still trying to break her of it 2 years later! However, she stopped biting hard very early on.  I found a very loud ow followed by no attention for a little while made her stop biting hard.

Offline dyljon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:09:46 pm »
It's not something you are going to cure quickly! Beagles can be very stubborn, and I think your friend will need to take him to dog school to learn some techniques. The Kintala method is fantastic if there is one of them near you. He needs to learn who the boss is, do you know if he bites your friend too, or is it just you? As the others have said, very stern NO every time he does it, and also have some small treats in your pocket and when he approaches you nicely without jumping or biting, calmly offer him a treat. Good luck!
Donella - Happy Valley SA

Offline Penji

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:05:49 am »
I also have a puppy who likes to bite, although I always say "no bite", but also be aware they are teething, I have started giving her raw carrotts and frozen veg, ice cubes etc which she loves and noticed the difference almost immediately, plus what a good eating habit to get them in early on.  Good luck, you are not alone, I now have to face the potty training stage which is going very slowly. 

Offline joynatalie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 10:27:24 am »
Thanks all the terminator has been returned to her owner and now it is just me and the sookie t oy poodle who suddenly seems saintly in contrast!