Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5205435 times)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #10050 on: May 29, 2013, 12:30:15 pm »
Hally your butter chicken looks delicious. I will help you eat the leftovers ;D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10051 on: May 29, 2013, 12:34:57 pm »
Well having grown up in the London where there is an indian on every corner & an Indian was a weekly cheap meal out. I woud have to say this so far is the closest I have got. Ate the butter chicken in in the Indian TM Book, tasted awful to me compared to what I am used to. I had a couple of ingredients missing, so next time I reckon with the use of the tandor oven perfect :)
Yes used my miele oven  & I must say the chicken was great on the first cook :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10052 on: May 29, 2013, 12:35:34 pm »
Hally your butter chicken looks delicious. I will help you eat the leftovers ;D

Sadly there are none :o :o :-)) ???

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #10053 on: May 29, 2013, 12:58:47 pm »
Hally, I first tasted Indian food in the UK too, and I know what you mean ! Chicken Tikka is another that never tastes the same here. What ingredients were you missing ? The one in the Indian cookbook, is just a nice chicken curry, pretty popular with our kids and my parents .... but I spice it up quite a bit.

The thing I have about the condensed tomato soup is  that it reminds me of how my Mum always makes spaghetti bolognaise ...... she always includes that and I really don't like it ....... it's kind of sweet when she's done, she doesn't put a lot of other things in and it's kind of like mince with tomato soup lol. So when I saw it on the list of ingredients I thought ewww noooo lol.

For a really quick thing ........ Coles now stock Monica brand indian pastes. I get the tandoori one, butter chicken (which I use in the Indian butter chicken, has quite a kick actually) and the tikka paste.  I use them heaps in different dishes and find they're way better and far more concentrated than the Pataks ones. Might be useful for you for something quick to get you going before you have all the spices etc ....

I might give that butter chicken recipe a go .......... it looks really good. We have a weber q so might do the chicken in there. Will let you know how we get on. There's only a couple of things I need.

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10054 on: May 29, 2013, 01:10:03 pm »
Indian Food is sco much better in London. I have yet to find a recipe or a restaurant here in Aus that can actually make an onion bahgee. Total dissaster every where.

The soup concerned me, but wow it really works. Will have to look up but fenugreek leaves & tandori colouring I do remember.

Thx will look at coles :)

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #10055 on: May 29, 2013, 01:35:12 pm »
Yehh I agree. My parents are over there at the moment, and they'll be doing an Indian for sure !  Never had an onion bhajee over there, but I can imagine how good it would be. 

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10056 on: May 29, 2013, 11:04:48 pm »
Let me know how you go. The fenugreek leaves are important so if you can source them it would be good :)

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #10057 on: May 29, 2013, 11:09:30 pm »
I have never tried Indian food ....  :-[  :o
Maybe I should!!!

Dinner tonight - something with pork....our half pig was delivered last night (near 40kg of meat!!)  :)
:D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10058 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:39 pm »
Astarra :o love a good indian :P

Do you like spice?

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #10059 on: May 29, 2013, 11:59:21 pm »
Dinner tonight - something with pork....our half pig was delivered last night (near 40kg of meat!!)  :)

that should keep you going for some time Astarra!

Last night was a 1/2 quantity of chorizo & capsicum risotto...boys ate at the footy club

....tonight, not sure yet....I desperately need to do a food shop!

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #10060 on: May 30, 2013, 12:10:08 am »
Looks yum Maddy

Yes Astarra 1/2 a pig is a lot, even more when you order a whole one & you think you ordered 1/2 & you have to fit it in the freezer :)

:)

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #10061 on: May 30, 2013, 12:32:05 am »
The Fenugreek leaves make quite a difference. We live in an area which has recently seen an influx of Indians due to a nursing school and hostel, as a result we now have 2 well stocked Indian gorocery stores very close by. The spices etc are soo cheap but do come in big bags so Hally has enough Fenugreek, dried mango powder and Tandoori coluring to last a very long time coming her way!!  ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #10062 on: May 30, 2013, 12:33:43 am »
Pasta and meat balls

potato and leek soup
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Debbiebillg

• View Profile
« Reply #10063 on: May 30, 2013, 12:42:19 am »
I'm nipping to the indian grocery store today. I'm pretty sure they'll have it ...... Our store has a mix of larger and smaller sizes. My neighbour (who's Indian), told me to store all the spices etc in the freezer and they last forever. I keep a smaller amount in the pantry and top up from the freezer when necessary.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #10064 on: May 30, 2013, 12:58:03 am »
Yay Mab hope you like it  :)

The chicken stroganoff was delicious Yvette.  I served it with steamed carrots and broccolini.

Glad you liked it Mab is also freezes well  :)