Author Topic: What's for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 5206003 times)

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: What's for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #3525 on: June 16, 2012, 10:55:27 pm »
Droverjess  I envy you your sheep.  Itis Sunday morning here ans nothing better than a Sunday Dinner of Roast Lamb. Sadly that is a thing of the past. I can't remember the last time I cooked a leg of lamb. I cannot  being myself to pay the price. I saw some very ordinary Lamb chose in Woolier on Friday for $38.95 a kilo. The crap ones were only $19.95  a kilo.

For dinner to day we have a choice of ham and pea soup,or Thai pork and vegetable soup. Hopefully I will have reached the bottom of my freezer by next Sunday as that is where the duck lies next to the box of frozen cherries. Something to look forward to. Beer ass Duck with cherry sauce. That is the plan.  Maybe then I will buy a leg of lamb as a reward but it will no doubt mean a huge dent in my $100. budget.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: June 16, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »
Using up the tortellini from the freezer that I made 2 or 3 weeks ago.  Just have to make the sauce to go with.

Tossing up between making a small apple tart or a Bill Granger choc self-saucing pudding for dessert.  ???

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: June 17, 2012, 01:15:14 am »
Lamb chops are special  Amy - they are so expensive we rarely have them.

How much are they in SA Judy? We only buy them when they are on special at WW, but I never thought the price was too bad.

i can go weeks without cooking meat

I dont eat pork or lamb

DH does not like chicken or fish

Tricky... good thing you are so creative and resourceful Uni ;) ;D

stacelee

« Reply #3528 on: June 17, 2012, 01:43:09 am »
The frenched lamb chops are horrendously expensive here....I've seen them at $36+ a kilo.  We only rarely get them but they are my daughters favourite.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: June 17, 2012, 02:45:35 am »
I don't look at the price per kilo Amy, I look at the price per meal so not sure how much a kg lamb chops are here at the moment.  Will take more notice next time I shop.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: June 17, 2012, 03:20:10 am »
My DH bought some meat yesterday.
2 lamb roast, 6 kilos of beef  mince. 24 lamb chops, ox tail, 4 kilos of sausages, 6 t bone steaks, couple of kilos of bbq steak, and 2 kilos of crumbed steak,
for $300

that should do us till we get a half side of beef again.

Robyn
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

• View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: June 17, 2012, 03:45:36 am »
I don't look at the price per kilo Amy, I look at the price per meal so not sure how much a kg lamb chops are here at the moment.  Will take more notice next time I shop.

That is probably a better way to look at prices, Judy, maybe I should start thinking like that. It will be interesting to see if there is much price difference between our lamb chops :-\

My DH bought some meat yesterday.
2 lamb roast, 6 kilos of beef  mince. 24 lamb chops, ox tail, 4 kilos of sausages, 6 t bone steaks, couple of kilos of bbq steak, and 2 kilos of crumbed steak,
for $300

that should do us till we get a half side of beef again.

Robyn

That sounds like a lot of meat Robyn! But for $300 its probably a good deal ;)

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: June 17, 2012, 06:11:17 am »
I used to get really good meat (lamb, pork and goat) at a reasonable price at the growers market, but unfortunately, that producer doesn't come any more. I find that our local supermarket sells packs of lamb or pork offcuts for $9.50 kg. These are great for casseroles or curries. I bought a couple of packs of lamb this week which I will cook in the PC. I will let it sit overnight in the fridge so that the fat solidifies and I can remove it before I reheat it.
There is a new meat stall at the market who often has good specials, and I have ordered some beef cheeks for next week. I've never cooked them before, so I will need to look through my PC books for a recipe. A local restaurant often has a pasta dish with beef cheeks on its menu which is divine, so I'm looking forward to next weekend.
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous

Offline pumpkin pie

• View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: June 17, 2012, 09:13:48 am »
Last night made Maddys Veg soup with bacon and pasta, (love this soup) then made the sticky date pudding and caramel sauce from the EDC cook book. Yummo.

mcmich

« Reply #3534 on: June 17, 2012, 09:19:46 am »
San Choy Bow tonight. DH will have left over choc self saucing pudding for dessert.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: June 17, 2012, 09:20:14 am »
vietnamese take away  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

stacelee

« Reply #3536 on: June 17, 2012, 10:40:35 am »
Ours was quiche lorraine from aldi :(.  I'm soooooo going to owe the feral fairy for this one.  I've caught my stepfathers cold with a vengeance so I'm doping up with cold tablets (which isn't going to help the insomnia :( ) and I'm keeping my germs away from others food.  I'm hoping not to give it to the fairy or her father.

• View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: June 17, 2012, 10:42:07 am »
We had our big pork roast at lunchtime so just scrambled eggs or soup for dinner :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3538 on: June 17, 2012, 10:46:50 am »
Quick Chicken Laksa (serves 4 but we ate the lot between the 2 of us :-))) and vanilla ice-cream I made yesterday.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline EmeraldSue

• View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: June 17, 2012, 11:06:18 am »
DH put the oven back together for me tonight, so I cooked chicken Kiev. It was slightly overlooked because the temp in my oven is still very erratic. I set the dial to 125C and the thermometer in the oven was showing maximum (over 230C). I managed to adjust it, but it's the bane of my life at the moment. I have a batch of jam drop biscuits to go in the oven,wish me luck!
"A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen and this kitchen is delirious." Anonymous