Author Topic: Recipe Review - Cantaloupe and Lime Sorbet - QFITT p.166  (Read 5420 times)

Offline cecilia

• Renew. Refresh. Rejoice.
    • View Profile
    • Thermorevolution
Recipe Review - Cantaloupe and Lime Sorbet - QFITT p.166
« on: January 14, 2012, 12:23:33 pm »
When I first looked through Alyce's book, landing on this page gave me a  stepping stone in an unfamiliar world, as we have often made a similar sorbet at cooking class.  Ours is based on cantaloupe and pineapple frozen like this, but we only use one lime.

Making the double-lime created a very adult level of intensity.  The extra sugar (normally I would only use 80g but I did as the recipe called for) also took the taste to another level - not necessarily "better" but "excitingly different".

I was surprised that the recipe asks you to pile in all the iced fruit (800g) at once.  At demos, TMX consultants add the ice for a sorbet in two lots so the motor is not overstretched.  Indeed, tonight when I made this recipe, I got an Error 34 and had to take some of the fruit out to get it going.  Also, as was suggested by the recipe, you do need to assist with a vigorous spatula action.  Even doing the sorbet in two lots, mine took way beyond the 45 secs suggested as a guideline.

At our cc, we add some coconut milk so it's not all iceblocks in the bowl.  (Even having double the amount of lime flesh didn't help much to keep the revs down a bit.)

Another tip - make sure when freezing the rockmelon to use a big flat tray or even two, as if any of the blocks of frozen fruit stick together, you'll definitely have trouble with the motor revving or even shutting down.

So I'd give this 5/5 for taste and 3/5 for method -- sorry Alyce, but for this one, I was biased, due to having made so many sorbets in my Thermomix.
"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." — Dalai Lama

https://www.facebook.com/thermorevolution

Offline alyce alexandra

• View Profile
    • alyce alexandra cookbooks
Re: Recipe Review - Cantaloupe and Lime Sorbet - QFITT p.166
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 06:28:22 pm »
Hi Cecilia, great to hear such an experienced person's feedback!

I think that I must cut the cantaloupe up quite small as I haven't had a similar problem to you, but the sizing is quite ambiguous in the recipe so thanks for bringing it to my attention!

alyce

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 01:04:20 am »
Just had to say, after seeing it several times, I just 'clicked' what QFITT is!  My brain must think it's still on holiday!
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:47:57 am »
Just had to say, after seeing it several times, I just 'clicked' what QFITT is!  My brain must think it's still on holiday!
Don't worry Marina we all have days like that ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 02:59:19 am »
I should have looked here first...my frozen pieces were very chunky, and my machine was howling. I wasn't sure if the blades were turning or had stopped, so I kept stopping and starting and pushing it around with the spatula until it was all done. Next time, will chop melon into smaller pieces as I never had the howling prob when I made the strawberry sorbet recipe from this book. I'm not a great lover of rockmelon, but I loved the smoothy creaminess and taste of this. Tried to console myself that it was a healthy dessert with all the fruit component (but I may just put a little less sugar in it also)

Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand