Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6130954 times)

*suzanne*

Re: Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11055 on: October 14, 2013, 02:55:39 am »
off to the movies today, last day of the school holidays then a play date this afternoon whilst the plumber comes and continues in my laundry ;D

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #11056 on: October 14, 2013, 08:47:17 pm »
Thought I would update everyone on my caravan renovation process.
On the weekend I removed the frame work so all that's left is the trailer with a floor.
I'm going to remove the floor and replace it as well and get my DS who is an apprentice spray painter to paint the chassis. I have gone to this much effort I may as well go all the way :)
And yes I know crazy, but I am enjoying it.

Oh and I have also learnt that the Lino on the floor contains asbestos and is stuck down hard to the floor, so that's a big reason I'm replacing the floor altogether.

Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #11057 on: October 14, 2013, 09:04:51 pm »
Gosh Dede what a mamoth job you have taken on.  It will be so much better when completed.  Good on you for doing it  ;D

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11058 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:35 pm »
Yes you are crazy  with a crazy project but "restoring" the  "aham" caravan will restore your sanity.  I am wondering if you are going to put it back together  as it was or it if will emerge  as a butterfly. I am thinking with your artistic flair it is going to come back from the near dead  as something spectacular . You will forever  have a great sense of achievement  and you kids will be amazed. Can you just hear them telling their friends ??  If you experience any moments of it being all too hard them just pop  on here and we will be your cheer squad.

You are WOMAN and we near you roar. Go Mandi,

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.

Offline Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #11059 on: October 14, 2013, 10:48:56 pm »
Good luck with it all Dede glad it is you and not me  :D

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11060 on: October 14, 2013, 10:50:21 pm »
Lol thanks Gert.
The internal part of the caravan will be all new and fresh, the outside will look the same but cleaned up with a few minor alterations. I would love to put new cladding on the outside but would cost me a small fortune to do, so I'm reusing the old cladding.
One day it will be a usable caravan again, I'm not giving up in a hurry.
I always said I wanted to spend my savings from not smoking on a caravan, I think I have taken that to a whole new level :)

Offline jo_nz

• View Profile
« Reply #11061 on: October 14, 2013, 11:15:37 pm »
Hehe, we had that lino pattern on the kitchen floor at our old house - asbestos and all!  Except it was browns rather than greens. 

I'm working at home today while poor DD is parked in front of a DVD.  Unfortunately I just can't put it off any longer!  With school holidays and chicken pox in the house, I haven't got a lot done lately.   :-\
Jo

When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened for us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11062 on: October 15, 2013, 01:27:28 am »
Asbestos in lino, who would have known that ???  Apparently, on checking, it's in the backing. Take the proper precautions when removing it Mandi  and keep the kids away. I don't think I have ever known a woman like you, good luck with the project.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11063 on: October 15, 2013, 01:54:56 am »
Mandi you are amazing. What a project you have. You will be so proud of it. If my DH can help in any way please ask. He is pretty handy and has recently made a tear drop caravan and a camper for our Hilux. He is now planning to make a small 4x4 trailer camper.
Please show us the caravan as you do pieces of it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Mama Fergie

• View Profile
« Reply #11064 on: October 15, 2013, 02:37:11 am »
What a talented lady you are Mandi. :)
Look forward to seeing the caravan progress.

Mum and I are driving back to Perth today. She really enjoyed the few days away as she was very down and lonely when we returned from overseas. This was the only timeframe that I could take her as it suited my babysitting commitments due to my DS and DIL being overseas. Back to normal after today but so glad I took mum away as she is bright and cheery again.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11065 on: October 15, 2013, 02:53:23 am »
MF it is so hard to be pulled several ways with aged parents and our own family. That was lovely of you to take your Mum away for a few days.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11066 on: October 15, 2013, 03:37:03 am »
Mandi you are amazing. What a project you have. You will be so proud of it. If my DH can help in any way please ask. He is pretty handy and has recently made a tear drop caravan and a camper for our Hilux. He is now planning to make a small 4x4 trailer camper.
Please show us the caravan as you do pieces of it.

Thanks Cookie I might just take you up on the offer, but I have a million question so your DH might get sick of me lol.

Question 1) At this stage I'm stuck on how to remove the Lino as it's stuck hard. I need to remove the floor but to do that I have to drill out rivets that attach the floor to the chassis. But of cause the head of the rivets are under the Lino grrr.
So I'm thinking maybe a heat gun might help me remove the Lino? . But I need to wear a mask and dispose of the Lino safely.

Judy I'm sure there are other women out there who tackle things like I do. It's in my blood I'm afraid, and because I'm a real impatient person who hates waiting for someone else to do it I have just got in and done things myself. I have learnt a lot over the years from being impatient :)
My Dad is a workaholic and my late grandfather was a jack of all trades who could tackle just about anything. Think I take after them :)

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11067 on: October 15, 2013, 08:55:56 am »
My goodness Mandi you really have your hands full with this project now.Good luck,if anyone can do it you can ;) ;D

It's great to hear you spent some quality time with your Mum MF.A bonus that you ran into BZB ;) :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11068 on: October 15, 2013, 10:34:43 am »
Mandi DH suggested that you mark the Lino where the chassis rails are and the cross supports. Then use an electric multi tool with a scraper thing attachment and using a heat gun will soften the Lino and stop it from breaking into small pieces. This will expose the rivets and you should be able to remove them. Hope this helps.

Offline dede

• View Profile
« Reply #11069 on: October 15, 2013, 11:20:50 am »
Ah thanks Cookie, that would be easier than removing all the lino. I have a friend who has a heat gun I can borrow. Well that's question 1 answered. I'm sure question 2 will be just around the corner :)