Author Topic: Christmas Hamper Ideas  (Read 165360 times)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
Re: Christmas Hamper Ideas
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2010, 04:52:38 am »
I put my recipe for candied ginger up on my blog today:

ginger
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2010, 05:08:24 am »
Good one andie - I went to a ginger factory in Queensland many years ago.  They have HUGE vats of ginger going through all those stages.

It smells superb.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline berringamababe

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2010, 05:32:34 am »
Personalised Christamas Lablesfor the cost of postage

I make hampers every year and my friends love it, I make little plum puddings (going to steam in calico in TM this year), jam, dips mayo it is endless really. 

Save your cans, like caned corn and grease and line with baking paper and cook mini christmas or chocolate cakes - to decorate place a ribbon or paper on outside.  When my daughter was little she decorated the paper we wrapped them in, my friends and family ask if they are getting their hamper this year in about October.

I order personalised labels from www.vistaprint.com.au and put a quote on them 'If (the divine creator/god/jesus)  has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them with love & share them with ceremony.'
or simply ' grown with love, made with love and too share with my loved' etc.

P.S. I order my christmas cards and gifts at vistaprint too.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2010, 11:52:46 am »
Thanks for the tips berringambabe.

Last year I made; panefort (tenina), asian sea salts (Lil Bowden), Lemon Butter (my recipe converted), Passionfruit Butter (forum), Raspberry Cordial (EDC), Lime & Macadamia Fudge (forum), Sugared Almonds (forum), Biscuits, Dukkuh (EDC), choc hazelnut spread (EDC), wine  :-)), I'm sure there were a few other things too but I can't remember them at the moment.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2010, 12:11:44 pm »
ILB,  can I go on your list for this year??????  PLEASE

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2010, 12:55:23 pm »
You'll have to get behind me on that list Chookie  ;) ;) I couldn't begin to imagine how wonderful a hamper you could put together either Chookie, having sampled some of your products. 
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2010, 01:29:35 pm »
Ha ha!! Of course ladies  :-* :-* :-*

This year I'll need to do it a bit smarter though, as it ended up costing quite a bit of money last year, mainly in jars and things (the wine was cheap though  ;)).

Chookie I like your KFC mix to add to the hampers as well.
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2010, 05:34:33 pm »
Personalised Christamas Lablesfor the cost of postage
(snip)
I order personalised labels from www.vistaprint.com.au and put a quote on them 'If (the divine creator/god/jesus)  has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them with love & share them with ceremony.'
or simply ' grown with love, made with love and too share with my loved' etc.
P.S. I order my christmas cards and gifts at vistaprint too.

Can you get Avery labels in Australia?  I buy the inkjet labels and you can go to the Avery web site and download free software that allows you to design your own labels, add photos or graphics of your own and print them for a lot less than is charged by custom print companies, (here they can be very expensive). 
I use several sizes of labels for different sized containers and just print as many as I need at one time and each type has a different design:  My tea blends have a photo of one of my antique teapots and a cup and saucer in the upper right corner and a shadow line drawing of a teapot in the background of the entire label. 
The jam jar labels have a picture of whatever fruit is in the jam at the top of the label.
The pickles have a dancing cucumber I drew years ago and the spiced peaches have  a picture of a peach in a devil costume, holding a little pitchfork.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2010, 06:37:58 am »
yes, we use Avery labels all the time.  Works well - thanks andie.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

vivacity

Christmas sugar
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2010, 05:38:23 pm »
I went to a Thermomix cooking meet yesterday evening and it was actually quite good.

This recipe is perfect for a Christmas hamper.

Ingredients:

200g sugar
2 sticks of cinnamon
1 tsp whole coriander
1/4 nutmeg
12 cloves
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
2 star anise
1/4 vanilla pod
5g candied orange peel
5g candied lemon peel

Directions:

Add all the ingredients to the TMX, grind 30s on speed 10.

Use for everything that should be scented with Christmas, for example, tea, punch, wine...

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2010, 05:22:32 am »
Made a start on hampers today as I need one to donate to the Carers' Christmas raffle 1st December. Today I made the chocolate & lolly Christmas trees, worcestershire sauce and sugared almonds. 

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:04 am »
Judy, they look marvellous.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 10:17:54 am »
they really do JD. made me wish that I had a bit of 'go' in me to do the same.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2010, 05:45:45 pm »
O.K. how did you make those wonderful trees?Would love to know but get your hamper finished first Judy. ;D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2010, 10:30:54 pm »
Having my morning cuppa so will describe the technique now CC.  I have been doing them for years and everyone I know now has one.  The best part, after the initial layout of money for the craft goodies, you just use the base etc again next year and only have to buy the lollies or chocolates. If you want to make one, you will need to get your craft supplies as early as possible as they sell out fast of the cones in particular.

Visit a craft store (Spotlight here in S.Aust) and buy a polystyrene cone - they come in different sizes but don't go too big as it will cost too much to cover. I use the 20cm size.  Move to the cake decorating section and pick up some alfoil covered cake bases about the size of side plate.  I have also sprayed old saucers with gold paint which came up a treat.  You then need pins, a Christmas decoration with a spike/stick attached and 3 x 250g packets of alfoil wrapped toffees (you can usually get these in green, red, silver or gold so choose your top to suit the colour of the toffees).  Attach the cone to the base with a good strong craft glue (preferable one which sets clear) and leave overnight to set. When you are ready to decorate it, start at the bottom of the cone and pin the toffees onto the cone using a pin through one of the little twisty bits.  Just work your way around, moving up a row each time you've done the full circle.  The idea is to hide as much of the polystyrene as possible.  You can go back over it after you've done the first layer and just pop the odd one in if you have gaps.  You will soon get the hang of it and now I can do it in under 10 minutes.  Push your top down into the top of the cone, attach some ribbon and voila - an edible Christmas decoration.
I have also done it with the gold covered ferrero rocher balls but they cost around $35 to make so have to be for someone very special or usually it is just for the family gathering. You have to glue them individually around the cone and I just pop tiny, coloured, glittery pompoms into the gaps that are left because of their shape.
They are great fun to make and look lovely in the middle of the table.