Author Topic: Preparation for Bimby free camping?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
Preparation for Bimby free camping?
« on: October 11, 2011, 10:22:25 am »
Any one got any tips, ideas, pr-prepared recipes for making life without Bimby easier? We're going camping, proper camping without electricity but I think I have forgotten how to cook without Bimby! We always do a camp oven roast and jaffels, spuds and corn in the fire, but what I'm wondering is what would you prepare in bimby at home before going away?

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Preparation for Bimby free camping?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 10:25:01 am »
*Gasp* *shudder* I would be having a look at Quirky Jo as I am sure she does it with what seems to be some regularity  ;)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:26:16 am »
I know! :o, think i'm going soft I don't want to leave her behind!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:28:11 am »
Any casserole that you can freeze ahoney - they will take a couple of days to thaw out in the esky and will get you started for the first couple of meals. Then you will probably have BBQ's, baked beans on toast etc etc  Gosh it is so long since we went camping but I did it in style, I had a caravan fridge and a u-beaut huge 3 burner cooker so we didn't really eat any different when we were away than when we were home.  There was always a butcher in the town to get fresh meat/veg if we needed it.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:17:33 am »
I make stews with lots of veges and pasta/rice in them, vac seal them and freeze them before we go. Have steaks, snags, bbq food vac sealed too. Plus I blanched some veges, peeled potatoes, sliced onions and vac sealed all of them (separately) and had some frozen and some in the fridge. We crossed the border a few times so couldn't take fresh veges with us.  Did that on our last trip through the middle to Alice and had 14 days of meals in the freezer, so didn't need to buy a lot when we got to Alice. (except "refreshments" for the trip home!)
To reheat the pre done meals I pulled them out of the freezer in the morning and left them to defrost in the back of the camper for the day, then at night I dropped the vac sealed bag into a bucket of water on the campfire and heated it. (Bucket of water was for showers and washing up later). That worked well - except the night we had a couple too many refreshments after a particularly long and corrugated road day and I forgot the dinner in the bucket. Went to take it out and the bottom had busted so there was a bucket full of watery chicken stew. The dingoes loved it!!
Oh we travel with an 80 litre fridge and a 40 litre freezer that run off the vehicle.  :)
Hope that gives you some ideas.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 01:27:24 am »
I haven't tried this but the idea appeals to me
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Nikkit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 02:04:08 am »
Oh nearly forgot - for our Easter camping trip up to the Murchison River this year I pre made hot cross bun dough. Vac sealed it and froze it before we left. Once we had a good fire and some nice coals I had defrosted the dough and put it in a bread tin into the camp oven and cooked it. We had hot cross bun bread.
Yummy.
Needless to say we eat very well when we go camping. And why not! No tins for us!
And I love my vacuum sealer.

Offline ahoney

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2011, 10:52:18 am »
mmm that salad mix looks good, i don't know what dried herbs i'd use though! sounds like i need a vaccum sealer now (although i've never been sure about the plastic, i don't use plastic!), i think freezing things is the way to go as we will only have eskys so it will be colder in the esky  if the food is frozen!