Author Topic: New Meat Cookbook. Problem I encounted with Lamb Korma & Curry....help?  (Read 7629 times)

Offline Twicket

• View Profile
Hi guys.

I am loving the New Meat Cookbook especially with the cooler weather it has some great winter warmer meals.  I made the Lamb Korma and the Curry the other night.  It tasted good, flavours and all and the smell was great however it seemed to have mushed up the meat chunks into tiny bits and pieces.  The veggies seemed to be overcooked and mushy too.  I made sure I used the reverse function and had the temp set right, I even purchased top grade quality meat.  Hmmm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so what can I do next time to prevent this. ???

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
from what I understand its the cheaper cuts that do the best for slow cooking because it is the "working/muscle" part of the animal, and much more suited for slower cooking to tenderise it. even when making mince, as it doesn't get as stringy and wrap around the blades.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
CP is quite right,  same with chicken.  Not a bad idea to check out dish 10 mins before finish time.

Offline Twicket

• View Profile

There I was thinking Premium meat will make the dish so much better but I was wrong.  Next time I will tell my butcher what I want it for and get a different type of cut or meat.  I will def check it 10 minutes b4 the finish time too.

Thanks guys!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Made this today and we really enjoyed it. It takes longer to cook (80 min)than we are possibly used to with the TMX but quite worth the effort. If I had remembered to fish out the cardamon pods before serving it would have saved fussy DS1 from having facial contortions when he crunched one  ;D ;D ;D. There is plenty of sauce so I think you could follow the same directions as the chicken korma in the Indian cookbook if you wanted to feed a larger crowd. The chicken korma recipe says cook as per recipe until just before adding the meat. Pour sauce into an ovenproof dish & add double quantity of meat to sauce & cook in oven.
5/5
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Good to hear that you go it to work VHJ - it is strange for us with recipes over 60 minutes, but we are used to cooking casseroles for 2 hours. Thanks  :-* :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Meat Cookbook. Problem I encounted with Lamb Korma & Curry....help?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:14:54 am »
Tried this for lunch today and the recipe worked pretty well for me. I did have to add 10 more minutes to the cooking time though as the vegies were not cooked after their 40 minutes.  I had only cut the carrots 1cm thick and the potato around 3cm cubes.  It was certainly spicy enough for me and we would get 6 servings from it in this household.  Going to give one pack to my SIL as he likes curries and I'd like to hear what he thinks of it.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:17:06 am by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 07:21:31 am »
Good one JD - thanks for pic & tweaks.  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Made this for dinner last night and it was a hit with EVERYONE - OMG  :o :o

I actually cut the carrot into rings and the potato into about a 1 cm dice and reduced the cooking time by 10 min as I was in bit of a hurry. I also sliced up some green beans and added them with the veg.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
Made this for dinner last night and it was a hit with EVERYONE - OMG  :o :o

I actually cut the carrot into rings and the potato into about a 1 cm dice and reduced the cooking time by 10 min as I was in bit of a hurry. I also sliced up some green beans and added them with the veg.
It's a keeper then Faffa as we don't get many recipes that EVERYONE in the family likes.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 09:48:31 am »
you may have cut the meat too small too, i really sizes for chopping were specified in the tmx books
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog