Author Topic: Suggestions and complaints  (Read 151326 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Suggestions and complaints
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 11:28:58 am »
lol cookie just recite i before e EXCEPT after C lol!!! and well resipee thats just scary!
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2011, 11:53:04 am »
This is why i love this forum no one really cares if your spelling is wrong

i am a member of a travel forum i rarely  post on them and i have so much information that i would like to share .Members get put down all of the time.

My education is zero, my family could not decide where they what to live Italy or Australia

This post took me about 10 mins or more  to write  :-))
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2011, 12:00:36 pm »
You are right Uni, you don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to be accepted on this forum - just a nice person. With all the chatting you do on this forum, I'm sure your typing has improved. Pity the travel forum isn't so accepting, I wouldn't want to partake in one that puts people down either.  :-*
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2011, 12:05:50 pm »
its not the typing JD its the spelling that takes me a whlie  ;D
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2011, 12:08:27 pm »
Never been able to spell, so I don't notice if it's wrong  :D :D
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline thermoheaven

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2011, 12:59:58 pm »
i've decided to forget capitalising ... getting slack, eh?

Offline jeninwa

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2011, 01:05:28 pm »
I am a bad speller 2, I use Google chrome and it has a built in spell checker. I very really find someone else's spelling mistakes and if I did it wouldn't worry me.
I child-proofed my house, but they still get in!

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »
yes this is a very accepting forum which makes it as great as it is...i was looking through some comments on the french forum and others also and came across some of the members callling people out for asking questions as being pathetic and stupid which I found very harsh as to be honest most forums etc are there for people to share and learn and those that have knowlege to share it with others but obviously there are people that feel that belittling?? others a right of passage or something...i hope this forum never changes....great place to be part of..spelling or no spelling lol!!

fundj ...keep it up..I would never have guessed that it took you so long to type a message so thats a compliment for your efforts...I have always pushed myself in French to learn as much as I can and write as well as I can but sometimes it does my head in...so many more verbs and tenses and formal and informal and masculin and feminine..arrrrgghhhhhh so as long as the message gets through thats all that matters!!  ;)

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2011, 06:05:22 pm »
To be honest I wouldn't correct peoples spelling mistakes on the forum as sadly some people can't spell. I don't think I've seen it on here but on other forums  'resipee.' 'Recieve' is another of my pet things. I need to get a life but they do bug me. :P :P

I don't correct the spelling of other people except when it is a more complex word that has a totally different meaning than that indicated by the context and unless one actually knows the meaning, the sentence can convey a confusing idea. 
It is so easy to type there for their, to for too and so on but these are easily read correctly - even words with extreme transposition of letters, as have some of the funny things that have been sent around the net lately. 
I was an English major and these errors don't bother me.  However I do know some people who have English as a second language that complain that it is confusing to them. 
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2011, 08:39:56 pm »
Fundj, if you are finding that it is hard for you and taking a lot of time when you respond to posts and this really bothers you, have you tried drafting your post in Word or a similar program first, that way you get an automatic spelling and grammar check so that may take some of the hassle away for you.

As for spelling and the English language as a whole - well, I've got to say, I would hate to have to learn it as a second langauge, there are so many things that are contradictory and some very strange 'rules' etc.  I guess the main thing is trying to get punctuation more or less correct - we all know the difference an incorrectly placed comma can make! 

My biggest gripe at the moment is text language - I'm a bit of a pedantic so and so and rarely text on my mobile (which I hate, by the way; I refuse to be followed around every minute of the day by a machine, even though I know they have an important place for emergencies, etc.) because I cannot make myself shorten words - "U R L8 - Y" .... no, that just doesn't do it for me.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline johnro

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2011, 08:59:36 pm »
Definitely in agreement re the ipad and typos - unfortunately it matters not (as you will have all noticed) whether I am using the ipad or the PC I am the worst at the form/from transposition, have also noticed my dyslexic potential in some other words if I don't do a spell check!!!!  :)  :)
Robyn from Rockhampton, Qld  :)

I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.

Offline tarasis

• Stay at home dad with a Thermomix & 2 kids :)
    • View Profile
    • Tarasis.net
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »
lol cookie just recite i before e EXCEPT after C lol!!! and well resipee thats just scary!

Speaking of which (hoping this works for you) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duqlZXiIZqA - anyway apparently the rule was no longer to be taught in UK school's because there are more words that break, than follow the rule.
Rob from Buchholz i.d.N, Klecken, Hamburg, formerly (England) Burgess Hill, Goring By Sea, Brighton, (Northern Ireland) Bangor and Newtownards.

http://tarasis.net

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2011, 10:17:02 pm »
all languages have base rules and their several exceptions...they are only to be meant as a guide..i believe english is easier than other languages, latin languages to me are far more complex and alot more verbs are used regularly as well as formal and informal and masculine and feminine which dont exist in english..

Offline leesmac78

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2011, 05:28:18 am »
and German with its masculine, feminine AND neutral (das).  AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  I always talk about everything in plural, then it is feminine.  Except of course when I am talking of Ed, then I must speak in singular!!!

xxx

;D

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2011, 07:25:21 am »
I have to be careful with formal and informal..my more laid back attitude than true nationals makes me speak normally and not always speak in the formal language..im fine when it comes to directors etc or someone older but just someone I dont know or the teachers etc always remembering formal formal formal lol...sometimes I find it odd that people you see everyday if not several times a day and you (out of respect) speak to them like they are the queen lol...same with cleaning staff etc, gardeners..always a barrier..its very offputting I find...not to mention masculine and femiine is like pot luck...you get what you get..either I konw it or I dont haha..;  Lee I think the thing with german for me would be the tone of speak as well..at least french has a flow almost music like to how they speak but when I come across germans it seems so abrupt...the thing that used to annoy me in the beginning was all the people despite all my efforts saying they dont understand, even when i spoke quite well it was people hearing an accent and shutting down...I soon knew who was used to foreigners and who wasnt!  Saying that I was up in northern France....never going back lol!