Author Topic: Caramel apple pudding  (Read 78769 times)

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
Caramel apple pudding
« on: May 12, 2010, 01:15:53 pm »
With the temperature at about 5 degrees, it is time for nice hot puddings. This recipe, adapted for Thermomix, from one of "Taste.com.au", fits the bill nicely.

3 large golden delicious or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced.
125g. plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
125g. caster sugar
100mls. milk
70g. butter, melted
1 egg

100g. raw sugar
75mls. golden syrup
150mls. hot water

cream to serve

Preheat oven to 180c.
Lightly butter a 1.25 litre baking dish
Place apples in dish
Place into TMX bowl, egg, sugar and milk and zap for 15 seconds at speed 5.
Add butter, flour and baking powder. and mix, 30 seconds speed 4.
Spread mixture over apples, wash out bowl.
Put raw sugar, golden syrup and hot water into bowl and mix 3mins, varoma temp and speed 5 until mixture boils .
Pour over pudding batter in dish.
Cook 40 - 45 mins. and until brown on top. Test with skewer to see it is cooked.

Makes 4 generous serves. It will work with any apple.  The difference is that cooking apples go to mash and eating apples mostly stay in slices.

Members' comments
CP - Made this last night, and it will definitely become a regular. Have to give it a 5/5, and a big  :-*

VHJ - This is really delish chookie. I made a mistake & used maple syrup instead of golden syrup so was too sweet for me but the kids loved it.

Wonder - Made this last night and DH and I thought it was beautiful but DS said he doesn't like Golden Syrup and DD was sick but was sure she would eat it anyway.

Chelsea -I made this recently and we all really loved it.  I had to tweak it a little as my eldest son can't eat refined sugar (the golden syrup really had me thinking), but it still turned out beautifully. Delish!

rubyslippers - I made this tonight.

I used 2 red delicious & 1 granny smith apple, Orgran No Egg instead of egg and brown sugar instead of raw sugar. It was delicious.
Thank you achookwoman.

RoxyS - Achookwoman, this is a wonderful dessert - a cross between golden dumplings and apple sponge. Have to confess I slipped when putting the golden syrup in the sauce so it was a bit sweeter than it should have been but it got the nod from my fussy eldest DS who said it wasn't bad and he'd be happy to have it again - very high praise from him.

PamH - We had this for dessert last night and it was a great hit despite the fact that I didn't use a bit enough dish and had to try and slide the apples and cake mix into another bowl before adding the sauce mixture Embarrassed Thanks for the great recipe achookwoman.

JD - Loved this Chookie.  Didn't have enough golden syrup so topped up with treacle.  Enough for 4? I'd get 6 servings at least in this house Chookie.

Cookie1 - Thanks Chookie, this was lovely. Next time I do it I plan to try adding some sultanas. We love golden dumplings and this was a nice change thanks.

faffa 70 - Well chookie this was a total hit with my lot over the weekend   Grin Grin Thank you

Funny how things change. A few years ago DH would have cringed if I suggested to even put sultanas in this dish, yet HE suggested that they would be nice in it just like you did Cookie.

isi - I made your pudding last night! I cooked it while we were having dinner. Everybody loved it! Next time I will do with Pineapple - will tell about the results! Thanks for sharing.

Amanda - Chookie we have just finished tucking into this on a cold, windy night, after steaming bowls of soup!
It is simply divine and just too easy. Bliss!

CC - This is absolutely delightful Chookie everyone loved it. Have family visiting and decided to make this for dessert and served it with Cornish Clotted Cream that my SIL's brought with them from Cornwall. A recipe that I will use again and again, thank you.

KarenH - Made this tonight as a spur-of-the-moment dessert when we (and guests) felt like pudding.  It was absolutely delicious!  I used rapadura sugar instead, but otherwise did it as written.  Absolutely gorgeous, and thanks to your recipe it has promoted me to "domestic goddess" status in the eyes of our guests. With winter coming up, I can see this being made again and again. Thanks heaps achookwoman for a fantastic dessert.

Made this again last night, with some fresh picked raspberries sprinkled over the apple.  I got distracted part-way through cooking (2 kids!) and forgot to put the syrup over the pudding before putting it in the oven.  I remembered 20 minutes into the cooking time, so pulled it out of the oven and added the syrup, then popped it back in to finish cooking.  And it worked just fine - a delicious and forgiving recipe

dede - made this tonight but used pears instead. Was very yummy. A big hit with everyone. Thanks for another great recipe.

Debbiebillg - My husband made this tonight while I was cooking dinner.  We loved it and the kids not so keen (they're not into desserts like their mummy and daddy).  Ahhhh well a treat for us, there's enough left for tomorrow night as well.  Thank you.

Debs - Yummmmm.  Cooked it, ate it, can't wait for more! I'd post a photo if I knew how! lol

johnro - Thank you Chookie for this delicious dessert - made this tonight, so good warm with ice-cream.  Will definitely be a regular when dessert features at our house - 5/5.  Thanks again.

Used quantities of ingredients listed for the cake but increased sauce ingredients by 50% - when served with ice-cream the extra sauce was great!!!!!

djinni373 - I was making this pudding with the Bible bread proving, the bread rolls cooling, the rock cakes and Thai roast chicken baking in the ovens, the rice and steamed veg cooking in the rice cooker and one eye on what was happening on “Merlin”. The TMX switched itself off just as I was tipping in the flour. So flustered by having to guess the amount of flour, I forgot to add the butter to the batter before pouring it on the apple. Seemed a shame to waste the apple etc so I added the butter to the syrup mix, continued on and hoped for the best. Oh my, this pudding must be truly spectacular when made correctly. Even though I had made a total mess of it, it still looked and tasted fabulous and was all gone in a few minutes. Thank you for this recipe. It’s going in the miraculous file.

triley - This was so easy and the 2 x DS Teens ate the lot.  I managed 2 mouthfuls and it tasted wonderful.

Frozzie - tried this last weekend with guests..it was yum..a bit heavy but yum! Had this again the other day and still delish but the first time I made it, it was like a flan consistency which made it heavier and this time it was like a cake consistency? Huh? no idea why there was such a difference as I don't remember using different ingredients???

CP - besides the apple and sauce frozzie, the texture is the same as a cake.

Lellyj - Made this lovely pudding tonight.  It certainly allows for "four generous serves" as there were four at home tonight and we had leftovers! (I know they won't last long)  I misread the recipe and ended up mixing everything together, rather than the wet ingredients first.  It still worked beautifully.  Thanks Chookie.

Tam - This was delicious!!! Made a couple of days ago and still enjoying it.  I'll increase the sauce mix to 1 !/2 next time as I like saucy puddings.

Dizzy Girl - Just had this for dessert. Yum yum yum. Served with ice cream. Definitely make again.

DJ - Very yummy - made with rhubarb cut into slices .5 -.75 cm wide. Thanks so much. May reduce sugar next time or if using sweeter fruit.

chrissa - DH isn't a huge dessert eater but if it has apples, lemons or meringue in it he's a happy camper. So apples it was tonight and a search found this recipe.  It was a big hit and got the thumbs up. Definitely in the vault for future reference.

Kulsha - I made this tonight but unfortunately had no golden syrup so had to use smaller quantity of molasses, it turned out darker but still really nice and I'm looking forward to making again with golden syrup as that will make it perfect. I was a little lazy and didn't peel the apples, just cut them in quarters and put in TMX for 6 sec, speed 4 so they were even sized chunks rather than hand slicing (slicing looks prettier I must admit). I also replaced the butter with equal weight of rice bran oil with good results. Thanks for another winner!

Frozzie - Made this yesterday again.... Love this hot or cold.. Enjoying now cold with a bit of cream on the deck. It was yummy as usual and I think I prefer it cold.. But that's probably the warm weather talking.. Its yummy both ways..

KarenH - We had some over-ripe apricots from the farmers market, and it was a pudding kind of day here today, so made this with apricots in the bottom.  Rather sweet, but very, very yummy!

SuzieG - Absolutely scrum-diddly-umptious!!!

tarasis - I did make this and my wife & neighbour loved it (served with Vanilla ice cream). I thought it was nice too, but I'm not so much a dessert person. Will definitely make it again.

Amy - I don't know what has taken me so long to make this pudding. It's delicious and will be made again and again! I made a double batch of the pudding mixture but only made a single of the sauce. I also reduced the sugar a fair bit because of SD's diabetes. Really, really yummy, thanks for the recipe Chookie.

Tasty - I made it the other day too as I was looking for an apple recipe and had all the ingredients for this one. Yum, however too much leftover as guests are too healthy these days and don't eat much of recipes like these....and I'm trying to be good too.

JuliaC83 - Made this using Packham pears! YUM!!!!

BZB - This pudding was THE reason I bought a pie dish. And, boy, am I glad I did it. It was so worth it. The pudding is deeliciousss, Chookie. Thank you for sharing.

funnyfarm2 - Yum Yum Yum! Made this last night, it was so easy to make. Following advice from the thread I just mixed up the sauce in the tmx (without washing the jug!) and poured over the top before putting in oven. Delicious! I would definitely make this when I have visitors for dinner.

Denzelmum - Celebrating Friday with dessert tonight. Served with vanilla ice cream. Yummy!

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:31:56 pm by judydawn »

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Caramel apple pudding
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 01:40:51 pm »
You are the pudding Queen Chookie - sounds nice
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 02:27:19 pm »
Oooooh yum chookie!
Nothing beats a hot pud on a cold night  :P
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:57:38 am »
Yum Chookie - wonder if you could just chop quartered apples in the TMX for a few seconds rather than slicing?

They don't need to look fantastic for me to eat them.  ;) ;) ;)
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:02:18 am »
Thankyou Chookie. 

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:50:50 am »
Thermomixer,  I had thought to do this,  but slicing them was no big deal.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 03:55:46 am »
Made this last night, and it will definitely become a regular. Have to give it a 5/5, and a big  :-*
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:09:09 am »
CP63,  so glad you liked it.   Have you tried my novel apple pud?  I'm sure you would like it.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 02:58:09 pm »
This is really delish chookie. I made a mistake & used maple syrup instead of golden syrup so was too sweet for me but the kids loved it.  ;D ;D
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline Wonder

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:55:06 pm »
Made this last night and DH and I thought it was beautiful but DS said he doesn't like Golden Syrup and DD was sick but was sure she would eat it anyway >:(

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 09:25:29 am »
Yum. I think I need a caravan with an oven. We'll forgo the shower and toilet for the oven. (don't think DH will let me)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 10:06:53 am »
Would a little toaster oven do the trick when you are away Cookie?  Surely DH wouldn't object to that and wouldn't have to forego his bathroom facilities either.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Amanda

• View Profile
    • Lambs Ears and Honey
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 10:17:03 am »
Thanks Chookie - this is dessert tonight!
Freelance food/travel writer. Lives in the Adelaide hills and writes a food blog - http://www.lambsearsandhoney.com

Offline mkthomp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:35:35 pm »
Thans heaps i have just popped this in the oven for a treat before i head off to night shift.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:46 pm »
I read this on your blog the other day chookie when I was out and instantly gained a size on my hips cause I know I am going to love it  :-)) :-))

Welcome to the forum mkthomp  ;) Hope you were full and satisfied ready for your night shift  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!