Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 441812 times)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #1335 on: March 30, 2016, 08:39:10 pm »
I have been keenly interested in wicking beds since I first read about them here but today came across this article from Bulleen Art and Garden, a big nursery in Melbourne, now I am not too sure.  For those who have wicking beds, what do you think?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1336 on: March 30, 2016, 10:56:01 pm »
Marina, my computer is play up so I can't open the link.
But a general comment about our experience with wicking beds.
We are developing a new veggie garden at Invermay and I am not making wicking beds.
We have a variety of raised garden beds at Cherokee and the one most successful is a Colour Bond  raised bed ,( corrugated iron), from Bunnings.
We built 2 wicking beds in old large potato boxes. The veggies grown in them didn't do any better than those grown in the various other raised gardens. In fact, didn't do as well.
The wicking beds are aimed at saving water and time watering. This proved not to be an issue for us as the new raised beds all had drip lines attached. I drip for 2 hours every 2 or 3 days ,  if there has been no rain. An occasional hosing with bore water was also applied when it was very hot, to all beds.
I filled the well at the bottom of the wicking beds twice during Summer.
Because of the expense and labour involved it is important to get it right to suit your needs.
I may put a timer on the new beds at Invermay as we have both town and tank water
Ral is having 3 corrugated iron beds made to suit our special requirements of space and height for Invermay.

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2016, 08:02:52 am »
I have been keenly interested in wicking beds since I first read about them here but today came across this article from Bulleen Art and Garden, a big nursery in Melbourne, now I am not too sure.  For those who have wicking beds, what do you think?
I just read the article you posted and agree with everything it and Chookie said, however for what and when we grow we still love our wicking beds.

We have had excellent success with tomatoes, capsicum, zucchini, squash, lettuces, eggplant, basil. We have not done very well with carrots, pumpkin, brassicas or corn. We are still learning. We did a direct comparison with neighbours and we yielded at least double the amount of tomatoes and our water consumption was considerably lower.

We have designed our wicking beds in such a way to allow full drainage and an adjustable water level so that the roots are not always soaked and the stagnant waiter can be drained. Not using them over Winter also helps dry them out. We replenish manure/mushroom compost before planting each year.

We are in Canberra so very cool over winter and very hot in summer. We only grow from Spring to Autumn. We are lazy gardeners and forget to water often ☺ However, just like the article states wicking beds are not for all crops- when we finally complete our third bed it won't be wicking so that we can grow other crops.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 13, 2016, 08:05:12 am »
I tried to post a picture but our beds are made from the Birdies corrugated iron beds available from Bunnings ☺

I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 13, 2016, 11:01:29 am »
My brother at Bungendore ( 45 km East of Canberra) grows heaps of stuff but hasn't wicking beds.
Jamberie I can't help my curiosity. When it says sent from my GT-N7105T, what is that please?
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: April 13, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »
My brother at Bungendore ( 45 km East of Canberra) grows heaps of stuff but hasn't wicking beds.
Jamberie I can't help my curiosity. When it says sent from my GT-N7105T, what is that please?
I didn't realise my posts did that Cookie, I'll have to try to change my settings. I'm  using my phone, it's a Samsung Note ☺

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 13, 2016, 01:44:04 pm »
No worries about it Jamberie. I was curious as to what it was.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1342 on: April 13, 2016, 09:05:09 pm »
Thanks for that Jam.  You are obviously managing your gardens well. We are establishing 3 new raised beds.  Today will do the drip plumbing and planting. Am having problems posting photo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1343 on: April 13, 2016, 09:07:06 pm »
Thanks for that Jam.  You are obviously managing your gardens well. We are establishing 3 new raised beds.  Today will do the drip plumbing and planting. Am having problems posting photo.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1344 on: April 13, 2016, 09:08:03 pm »
 Finally got it. ,!

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: April 13, 2016, 09:51:20 pm »

Thanks Chookie, I'm not sure that we manage them too well, but it works for us. Your new garden beds are looking amazing! What a fantastic area!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: April 14, 2016, 12:04:44 am »
A great start to your new vegie patch Chookie, a good height for your backs too.  What a lovely area you have to set up the way you want.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: April 14, 2016, 02:15:00 am »
Chookie your new garden beds are certainly ready and waiting.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #1348 on: April 14, 2016, 05:31:13 am »
Judy the area was already set up.  We have just added the raised garden beds. The property was originally a commercial Rose Nursery.
Jam, if you are getting fresh veggies, you are doing a great job.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 14, 2016, 06:20:50 am »
Chookie, your garden beds look good.  I like that you don't have to bend down to them.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.