Author Topic: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?  (Read 442576 times)

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #495 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:10 pm »
Yes jadey if you have the space definately put the lemon tree in the ground... It will do better ie be bigger so more fruit.. A pot will limit its growth but ive seen them in large pots on trellis' and they look great.. There are also dwarf or mini varieties if you dont have alot of space
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 10, 2013, 08:40:55 pm »
My lemon tree is going great, even after we transplanted it.

we used to have a fruit salad tree, along time ago.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #497 on: March 10, 2013, 11:36:12 pm »
How did you go with your fruit salad tree obbie?

I'm glad that if I can't get MIL to give me a spot for a tree I can have one in a pot. Thank goodness.
I really need one! Lemons get so damn expensive.

Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 11, 2013, 12:48:23 am »
No worries with it Jadey, they are very common up here.
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

[/url

*suzanne*

Re: Re: Are there any backyard veggie gardeners here?
« Reply #499 on: March 11, 2013, 06:34:47 am »
my lemon tree was so beautiful and perfect and abundant with lemons until I moved in::) I don't know what I've done but haven't had lemons for 2 years any suggestions from you green thumbs to help my brown thumb :-[

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 11, 2013, 06:46:27 am »
I have a Meyer  Lemon tree I love it it is a small tree and has fruit all year round, it is sweeter than the Lisbon or Eureka , my tree is about 20 years old and I,have never bought a lemon, but am using them sparingly at the moment Because the possums have eaten Most of them so,it will be  another month before the next ones are ready.

Offline astarra

• View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 11, 2013, 07:57:21 am »
I have a Meyer lemon tree that has oodles of lemons all year round too - I wouldn't be without it!
Love lemon stuff!  :)
:D

mcmich

« Reply #502 on: March 11, 2013, 08:07:32 am »
I have a Meyer  Lemon tree I love it it is a small tree and has fruit all year round, it is sweeter than the Lisbon or Eureka , my tree is about 20 years old and I,have never bought a lemon, but am using them sparingly at the moment Because the possums have eaten Most of them so,it will be  another month before the next ones are ready.

Jolly possums!!!

Our Lake Macquarie possums love basil, frangapanni flowers, chocolate mint - haven't touched the bay tree or the dwarf lemon tree.

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 11, 2013, 08:23:29 pm »
my lemon tree was so beautiful and perfect and abundant with lemons until I moved in::) I don't know what I've done but haven't had lemons for 2 years any suggestions from you green thumbs to help my brown thumb :-[

Have you been feeding it... There are special citrus type fertilisers that should be used regularly ????  There is a home remedy but i cant remember what it was.. I know coffee grounds etc are a good fertiliser but for citrus not sure?? Maybe someone else can enlighten you ...
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 11, 2013, 10:35:24 pm »
we have a possum in our trees..

[/url

*suzanne*

« Reply #505 on: March 12, 2013, 05:31:04 am »
yep Kim I use the citrus fertilizer I'm just not a gardener and can pretty much kill anything green ::)

Offline Jadey

• View Profile
    • Thermomixing with Jadey
« Reply #506 on: March 12, 2013, 09:50:32 am »
I'll investigate the Meyer Lemons as well then, thanks girls.

Suzanne - I am a little worried I'll be doing the same thing, I'm def no green thumb. I'm just trying to cut down on the spending and have more accessible natural foods.
Jadey :) ... Northern Beaches, Sydney, Aus. 

Like my page on facebook Thermomixing with Jadey

*suzanne*

« Reply #507 on: March 12, 2013, 10:12:34 am »
I try jadey but to no avail I even kill parsley ::) my mum and dad are wonderful gardener's nothing was passed down to me unfortunately luckily I have an elderly couple down the road who leave lemons out the front of their house so I grab some on the school run ;D

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 14, 2013, 01:50:32 am »
Lucky I have a DH who irrigates everything for me, It works..

[/url

Offline kyton

• View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 16, 2013, 10:00:07 am »
We have been in our home for 3yrs and are slowly finishing off our landscaping. This week the builder built four large veggie gardens near our chook house.

So far we have planted kale, silverbeet, beetroot, carrots, celery, peas, strawberries, blueberries, chillis, spring onions, red onions, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley. Still have half of one bed as well as the smallest bed to plant out.
Kylie