Author Topic: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!  (Read 162461 times)

Offline KatieV

• View Profile
Re: Recipe Book Tweaking and Reviews!
« Reply #270 on: January 06, 2011, 08:37:44 pm »
Hey Judydawn,

I reheated some frozen mash last night and it was excellent.  I defrost using microwave and once defrosted, reheat slowly using about 70% power (based on a 1000 watt oven).  The only thing I would strongly recommend is that during the re-heating process, ensure you stir the mash really, really well 2 or 3 times.  This will restore the smooth, creamy texture of the original.  If you don't stir, it comes out gloopy and not very nice.

Cheers,
Katie
So many recipes, so little time....

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 06, 2011, 11:02:04 pm »
Thanks Katie.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2011, 04:44:39 am »
If you add some hot milk and butter while stirring, it will come up like it was just cooked!
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline ClareN

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 09, 2011, 07:59:47 am »
Faffa/Kathryn (what's the ettiquete??) - I wondered that about the chicken myself, but it said 2-3cm cubed and that's what I did.  I'll know to cut it smaller for other recipes though!

Judy - how much ginger did you use?  I used 120g and think it needed about half that.  Maybe the ginger down here is super strong!  The ice-cream is great, just wish it didn't go icy after being frozen a day or two.

Katie - glad to hear the Tuna Mornay is nice.  I got the budget book as well so might give that a go this week.

I'm going to make the coleslaw and rice salad tonight for hubby's lunches.  Will do a potatoe one as well but will prob cook that the normal way so I can do more than one at a time!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 09, 2011, 08:43:05 am »
Judy - how much ginger did you use?  I used 120g and think it needed about half that.  Maybe the ginger down here is super strong!  The ice-cream is great, just wish it didn't go icy after being frozen a day or two.

Clare, I would have used the lesser quantity of 150g (due to the cost of fresh ginger!) and have served it to visitors too - everyone thought it was great. Once you add the litre of mineral water to the ginger mixture, it dilutes the strength just right for us but you could always add more mineral water I guess to get the strength you like.

Offline Jannikins

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 12, 2011, 11:14:05 am »
Vegetable Stock Concentrate
Just made this and did it as per the recipe, which says that the large amount of salt is for preserving etc, As it smelled so divine, I had to taste it and whoa, soooo salty couldn't taste anything else.
Has anyone else modified this and still had good keeping, we use very little salt in our diet, even though I do like salt.

Update
OK so I just did a wash of the machine and tasted that, and I guess if I don't add any additional salt a recipe should be pretty ok.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:41:26 am by Jannikins »
Jan-South West Aussie

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 12, 2011, 11:54:55 am »
That's it Jannikins, just omit salt from a recipe and it should be fine.  I am amazed at how many people give the VSC the taste test  :o :o :o 

Offline Jannikins

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 12, 2011, 01:46:24 pm »
Judy, I could not bear to waste the water that I pulsed in the machine to wash it so I made soup, Yummo, actually when the soup was cooked I tasted and even added a little more veg concentrate and gave it a quick pulse.
I was going to make the lentil and pumpkin soup but mast have used my pumpkin so extra tomato and red capsicum were the go.
So easy and quick and clean, that was what my sister said that she makes less mess now. Bonus.
Jan-South West Aussie

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 12, 2011, 06:28:34 pm »
That’s what I do when I make Tahini paste, always followed by hummus
No waste and mush easier to clean
ciao
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Jannikins

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 13, 2011, 05:28:13 am »
Oooo you make your own tahini I had never thought of that, is it on here somewhere.
Jan-South West Aussie

Offline fundj&e

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 13, 2011, 06:02:28 am »
I really don’t remember the quantity

Try 3/4 cup of oil to 2 cups of sesame seeds. If to thick add more oil. I use olive oil
 I don’t roast my seeds before grinding, you can if you wish   

Grind seeds and add ½ of the oil through the hole in lid scrape down, add the rest of the oil through the hole .scrape down a few times. Process the mixture until smooth

Hope this helps
Ciao
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 06:11:01 am by fundj »
i don't need a recipe i'm italian

Offline Jannikins

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 13, 2011, 06:05:25 am »
Ta fundi, Have a qty of Tahini on hand so will try it out when used up.
Jan-South West Aussie

Offline KitchenDiva

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 13, 2011, 11:23:12 am »
I made the stock without much salt as I was planning on freezing it so figured it didn't need as much 'preservative' however when I re-made the pumpkin soup it was no where near as nice as with the original stock that my consultant had made so I'm guessing that the salt is vital!
KitchenDiva

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 13, 2011, 11:34:04 am »
Thanks for reporting that KitchenDiva - it may help new members decide which way to go.  I know most of us were pretty shocked at the amount of salt and most want to try and reduce it.  Guess it is there for a reason  ;) ;)

Offline Jannikins

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2011, 01:49:02 pm »
Yep I have used the Concentrate in two meals in two days and it is great just how it is, only need to decide how much you want to add. taste taste.
Jan-South West Aussie