Author Topic: Temperature calbration  (Read 9132 times)

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
Temperature calbration
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:10:20 am »
Hiya,

Just as a test I used my cheese making thermometer in the milk for my yoghourt.  TMX registered temp was 37 degrees but my thermometer registered 49 degrees!

Has anyone else noticed this problem?  Exact temps in the 'dairy' can mean the difference between mozzarella and haloumi  :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature calbration
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:31:03 am »
I have never bothered to check mine. Obviously one of them is out of order. :-[
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:39 am »
I'll check and let you know what I get.

Offline TheCrone

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 09:54:54 am »
I'll check and let you know what I get.

Thank you!

Offline Babymaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:31:57 am »
There is a comment in one of the yoghurt threads about this, the problem being that the TMX registers 37C but the milk is in fact a lot hotter, I use a spare body thermometer to test the temp of my milk for yoghurt making :)

I don't think the problem is reaching a certain temp ie it will reach 100C perfectly heating cold water, so if you had to cook milk at a certain temp it would be fine but when you need to cool it down you should check it with another thermometer. Hope that makes sense.
Cooking is like love.  It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.  ~Harriet van Horne

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 10:36:58 am »
I put 1 cup of cold water into THM bowl,  set it on gentle for 5 mins.  ( don't know if this is scientific).   Then tested the water with 4 thermometers ! The 2 candy thermomters said 35 and the 2 scientific ones (different makes) both said 37.  Hope this helps.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 11:36:19 am »
The problem is with the recipe in EDC = says to let the milk cool to 37 - but when the 37 light is shining it may be anywhere between 37 and 49 degrees.  The recipe should say - wait until the 37 light goes out and then set to 37 degrees and add your culture.  Then you know you won't cook the culture.

Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 01:34:07 am »
I've tested the temps several times to be sure the food being heated or cooked is the correct temp.
The TMX is not at all accurate and that can be a problem with chocolate, dairy and other temp-sensitive foods.

I posted a photo of my solution in another thread, forgot which, here it is again.

Hole drilled in spatula flange just large enough to insert the probe of a Thermapen, which is very accurate.
I also have used the cable probe on a Thermoworks "remote" timer/thermometer combo.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 03:19:19 am »
The Thermomix is accurate when heating TO a temp - eg heating to 37 or 80o but as Thermomixer says when it is showing heat in the bowl (as in the lights that show the heat) it is like those old strip thermometers that you used to put on your foreheads where it was either green, brown or yellow I think it was.

If the 37O light is showing, then the temp has reached a minimum of 37 but could also be as warm as 49o just not warm enough to make the 50o light come on.

I always use a thermometer to check the temp when I am making yoghurt or else wait until the 37o light goes off, then I know that the temp has dropped below 37o.

The temp settings were built for heating to and cooking at temp, not an accurate temp of what is in the bowl as such after the cooking has ceased.

If the recipe instructions read as Thermomixer said "wait until the 37o light goes off" then it would mean more people would have success  ;D ;D

Clear as mud now  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

I love Andie's set up and I have that on the list of DH to do - though may have to wait for a while as I am a hard person to buy for when it comes to birthdays etc, so might get one for Easter lol
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 04:11:26 am »
Just to make it difficult and show that it is not completely accurate - wait til one of the lights go out and, with the temperature/time off (so you can't be heating) - turn the speed dial to mix the contents.

Sometimes you will find that after the contents have been mixed the temp appears to go up??  because the warmer part of the mixture is at the top and mixing allows the warmer stuff on top to mix with the cooler stuff - not a big difference - but don't rely on the light - especially when it is not being mixed !
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 05:12:46 am »
All very logical and clear when you think about it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 05:18:54 am »
Just to make it difficult and show that it is not completely accurate - wait til one of the lights go out and, with the temperature/time off (so you can't be heating) - turn the speed dial to mix the contents.

Sometimes you will find that after the contents have been mixed the temp appears to go up??  because the warmer part of the mixture is at the top and mixing allows the warmer stuff on top to mix with the cooler stuff - not a big difference - but don't rely on the light - especially when it is not being mixed !

I've had that happen to me during yoghurt making.  It's a pain in the backside  :(.

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 06:10:21 am »
That's why I love Andie's method, you can check it while it is mixing  :D :D :D she is very clever  :-* :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!