Author Topic: Need inspiration  (Read 11337 times)

Offline happylittleday

• View Profile
Need inspiration
« on: May 22, 2010, 08:15:04 am »
 Cooking has always been something I love to do; it relaxes me, inspires me, makes me think. When I first got my TM I was in heaven - and I thought as time went on I would use it for more things and adapt more recipes. But the opposite has happened. I love to cook some of my old faithful recipes slowly, over the stove and with a wooden spoon, taking my time; but I'm not talking about those recipes so much as the other everyday things I'm just not in the habit of doing in the TM. I was doing them, and then we moved a very long way and to a very different part of the country and I find myself just stuck in a cooking routine that doesn't involve the TM much. Do you ever feel like that? How do you beat it? Do you have any ideas on how to get back in the game? I love my TM very much, and would love to tips on how to improve my relationship with it......maybe I should have another demo??
Fresh bread and fresh soup are two of the most wonderful things.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Need inspiration
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 08:25:11 am »
Happylittleday, that sounds sad. I'm glad you still love your TMX. Perhaps you could select something that can only be made in the TMX and make that. For starters do it once a week. There is certainly nothing wrong with doing cooking the old way as it really does give you a lot of satisfaction.
Would it be at all possible to have another demonstration and invite some new friends from around. Even simply reading this forum gives me inspiration to use my TMX as I want to try out the recipes.
Have you made any of Isi's bread recipes? They are great fun to make.  Depending where you are it may be getting cooler and time for quick soups on the TMX.
Keep us informed how things go and make sure your machine is on the bench where you can see it all time.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline quirkycooking

• View Profile
    • Quirky Cooking
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 08:31:47 am »
I think I got in a bit of a rut like you after I'd had my TMX for a few years, then when I got the new model and started going to cooking classes and demos, I got so excited about it I became a consultant!  I think what changed things for me was being around people like my group leader (at demos and cooking classes) who were always thinking up new ways to do old recipes in the Thermomix, and showing me tips and tricks I'd never thought of.  So I definitely think you should have another demo (or 2!) and get to some cooking classes.  Also, start experimenting with recipes you've never made before, and maybe couldn't make if you didn't have a Thermomix - like strawberry foam, sabayon, gourmet sorbets, creme brulee, cakes made with ground nuts, etc...  As Cookie says, even if you just try one new thing a week, it will help.
 :-* Jo
Quirky Cooking: http://quirkycooking.blogspot.com/
Thermomix Consultant, Atherton Tablelands, FNQ, Australia.

Offline happylittleday

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:40:31 am »
Yes I think a demo is in order. I've spoken to my new (because we have moved) consultant over the phone once, we didn't really seem to click so I have to admit I've been putting off inviting her into my home for a demo!!  :-\ But I've just bitten the bullet and emailed her so hopefully we will have a more positive encounter this time. I think you're both right, too - I need to make some new things. Maybe I will post them here as self imposed accountability....... :P

Offline happylittleday

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 08:45:06 am »
Have you made any of Isi's bread recipes? They are great fun to make.  .

Also Cookie, how do I find those recipes? ??? ??? Not all that forum savvy yet....

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:09:48 am »
happylittleday I found myself in the same boat BUT this was when i became a consultant and was busy busy etc. My key was to start menu planning and including recipes from this forum and the cookbooks each week in my menu plan. Now each week hardly contains any non TMX recipes  ;D ;D

p.s. you are entitled to find another consultant if you aren't comfortable with the one you have. We don't all suit everyone  ;) ;)

You can find the recipes on this forum if you go to the home page and type in the search box at the top, just underneath your log in box etc. If you don't do it from the home page it will only search in the category that you are presently in. Let us know if you still need some help  :)
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 09:46:29 am »
Many years ago I moved back to the U.K after spending a long time globe trotting with my husband and I was completely lost.Our kids seem to become independent overnight. I joined the local college to do a cookery course once a week.Had great fun which started my interest in cooking. I have had my machine for 4 years and I have high and lows of using it.I know that after finding this wonderful forum it has given me inspiration. I love the recipes, chatter, tips  and hints.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 10:53:15 am »
Happylittleday,  do you think that shifting has something to do with trying to find a new life style and so far TMX has not been included in the day to day pattern. ?  The suggestions about a demo or two could help.  And part of this meeting new people also interested in cooking.  Don't rush it ,it will happen,  but carefully plan what you want to do,  and do it. ;D  The suggestion of making some of Isi's bread might be a good place to start.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 12:23:57 pm »
Happylittleday I was saddened to hear you have lost inspiration and interest in your TMX.  The best advice I can give you is to get onto this forum as much as you possibly can, read what people are cooking, look at their photos and it should be all the inspiration you need to get back into it. 
As far as being forum savvy is concerned, no-one was greener than me when I first started, well maybe Chookie was  ;D ;D ;D :-* :-* :-*, but I managed to work around the forum and read every single thread there was. To do that now though would be mighty difficult as the forum has grown so much since I joined in Dec '08.  On the home page you will see all the different categories for Mains, Soups, Desserts etc - just go in there, read down the list of items and click on what you enjoy eating.  Read, read, read for the time being and make a list or print out some recipes of things you think you might like to do.  A lot of us on here hardly cook the same thing twice as there are so many recipes to choose from now and we all want to do as many as we can. In this section you are in now (Chit Chat) look for the 'What are you cooking today' thread to see what others are doing on a daily basis, it will amaze you to see how many items some of the members make in one day.
I do hope you can get back into the TMX way of life, you don't have to cook exclusively with the TMX like some of us do as you obviously enjoy cooking the old way and whatever makes you happy in your kitchen is the main thing.  Good luck with reconnecting, a good idea to go to some cooking classes if you can too.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 12:25:42 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline happylittleday

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 01:35:40 pm »
Chookie I think you're right - everything has shifted for us and it has and continues to be a huge adjustment for me. We moved from beautiful sleepy Mullumbimby on the far north coast of NSW to suburban north west Sydney!! 750k's! The difference is huge! So our lifestyle is changing and you're right - some old habits have been pushed aside I suppose. And if I'm honest I guess a bit of the blues come into play. I think I will book a demo, try my hand at some completely new recipes, and delve a bit deeper into the forum. I'll be sure to post my successes and failures too. Thanks all for your encouragement - what a lovely little corner of the web to be a part of  :-*

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 01:52:03 pm »
If you've moved from the country to the city, I can understand that you would want to go back to slow food and the old ways to remind you of country life.

Just have a look at some of the wonderful recipes here and plan to make three new recipes in one week. Perhaps a soup, main and a dessert. Then, there's no pressure, you're just experimenting, that's all.

Don't get too hung up about it, things tend to go in phases in our lives.  :-*
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2010, 02:02:45 pm »
This forum certainly is a lovely little corner of the web.  At the end of a long day it is lovely to hop on and see what our friends are up too.  Welcome to the forum and I hope you are feeling better soon.  :-* :)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 04:58:10 am »
HLD do you think that the TM reminds you of the times you had where you used to live? If so, I think you need to invite some new people around for either a cup of coffee, after dinner drinks, a meal etc. Then you cook up a storm with your TM! You have a few laughs, good conversation, new recipes and some great food and then you'll start to feel more enthusiastic. you could also set yourself a challenge and make something you have never made before like a croquembouche, yoghurt, etc
good luck, and stay in touch here amongst your cyber friends  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline happylittleday

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 01:34:04 pm »
Yes I think it does CreamPuff - I still feel quite homesick for Mullum so it wouldn't surprise me if on some level I am avoiding it because it reminds me of where I'm not!!  :-\   :o I love dinner parties etc and am itching to have some here but we are waiting (waiting waiting waiting) for our dining chairs to be delivered! Guests would have no where to sit!! (I'm making a lot of tapas to make sitting on the floor feel more intentional...) As soon as the chairs are in a demo and a dinner party are high on my list of things to do.

And in other news, because you have all been so lovely and encouraging, I have just plucked up the enthusiasm to make my very first batch of yoghurt with Valerie's recipe.  :) :) I will post about it on the Valerie thread so it's in context.

I can feel a spark of enthusiasm coming back for new TM adventures, thank you all so much. Sometimes the best medicine is a sympathetic ear isn't it. I feel the love  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 10:01:21 am »
I find that I sometimes only use it to chop onions/garlic and saute them while sorting out other ingredients and then I get back to using it more.  especially for soups and casseroles.

But I have had short periods without rushing home to Bimby.

Just make soups even - just put things in and play.
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.