Author Topic: Eggs !!  (Read 8976 times)

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
Eggs !!
« on: September 30, 2009, 04:23:30 pm »
Ok so eggs.......I am not a sole egg eater ie I don't do boiled/scrambled/fried eggs etc you get the picture ;) Anyway I do cook with them and most times when I do I crack them into a separate bowl and then add them to my mix ;). Today I was doing just that and for the first time in my life I cracked open a BAD EGG   :o  :-X Blergghhhhh - can't get a vomit emoticon to work on here!

So my tip is always crack your eggs into a bowl before adding to your cooking, not directly into it! ;)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:51:28 am by Meagan »
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Ceee

• View Profile
Re: Eggs !!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 04:31:56 pm »
During my demo on Saturday Night, the sorbet section, luckily I decided to crack the egg into a little bowl, wow, the stench, I quickly got rid of it, opened the skylight and thank goodness the air lifted before the guests noticed. I think we should do the egg in the cup of water test as well! :o

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 01:01:57 am »
Good tip - you sometimes get an idea from the weight - or lack of when you lift them up.  But yes - best to break separately.  Especiallt if you are using a lot of separated eggs - it is sometimes easy to break into the bowl !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:26:37 am »
ewwww

i almost always crack straight into the bowl  8)  i haven't seen a rotten egg in over 30 years i'd guess (probably will get one tonight now lol)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Salsa Picante

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:42:30 am »
Oh No!

Better break them seperatly. Since we have a couple of Chickens in the yard, we have our own eggs and usually I write the date on them, so they get used in the right order. But sill, sometimes I forget....

What happened to me once is this:

I prepared a cake in the TM and it read: keep it running on speed 6 and add the eggs, giving each 1 Min to be blendet in.

So I cracked each egg an the lid of the TM and put it through the hole. I had to add 6 eggs, was unconcentratet and put in number 6 without cracking it :o!!!!

I turned of the TM, but at speed 6 there is no chance of picking out the pieces later. Then I turned the whole thing to 10 for a minute. And guess what. Nobody noticed. Okay, the cake didnīt rise a well as it shoul have. But still. Nobody noticed they had an extra dose of calcium!

It never ever happend to me again, I crack them all into a bowl now.
Susanne from Germany

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 10:00:17 am »
Oh SP that would have been disastrous. I'm amazed at the cooks/chefs on TV that put eggs directly into what ever they're cooking. Yuk.
I grew up on a farm with chooks/hens and we always cracked eggs into a bowl first. I thought everyone did until I came to live in the city as a new bride. I couldn't understand why people in the supermarkets wriggled the eggs in the carton, until I bought some that had eggs cracked in them.
There is nothing worse than the smell of an off egg. We know why they call hydrogen sulphide (??) rotten egg gas.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Salsa Picante

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 10:21:29 am »
Cookie:

The egg was fresh and fine, only I put it in as a the whole thing, uncracket, with the shell ;).
Susanne from Germany

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 11:15:13 am »
LOL SP! that's great!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline Salsa Picante

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 11:26:15 am »
Well,

Iīm the one that threw a bucket of water down the steps to the basement. The rug I used for cleaning was supposed to go down there. It was in my other hand.... :D . The laundry mashine is down there...
Susanne from Germany

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 12:21:27 pm »
Sounds like there is never a dull moment in your house Susanne  :D :D :D
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 01:10:44 pm »
I realised that Susanne, that's why I said it would be disastrous. My DH made some meatballs once and there was shell left from the egg and the meatballs were very crunchy, DD ande I refused to eat them. (He didn't have his glasses on)
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 03:05:24 pm »
Never a dull moment - great to have you on board !!
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline grandma

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 03:21:57 pm »
I always break in a separate bowl first - well not always, was caught out once - and never again!!! :o
By the way was told at a food safety class that you never use cracked eggs - you must throw them away as they can be full of bacteria (I think it was bacteria - or something else that was really bad), anyway if you find a cracked egg and don't know how long it's been like that for, then don't use it.

Offline Salsa Picante

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 03:23:47 pm »
Dull moments? No not really.

When my daughters say: "Mom, I´m bored!" I try to remember how that felt ;D.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:05:21 am by Thermomixer »
Susanne from Germany