Author Topic: Our Annual Christmas Challenge  (Read 21032 times)

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Our Annual Christmas Challenge 🎅🎅🎄🎅
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2015, 08:16:45 am »
Gee you drew the short straw Kezza  ;) What about the Torta Caprese in the EDC? It has cornflour but that may be GF?
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2015, 11:00:03 am »
Made a batch of Peppermint Crisp Fudge today.  Don't think it will last till Christmas as we love it!!

Also made the sponge for the base of a Lemon Mousse Cake - Not TM but it's something that we always have Christmas evening.  LIght and lovely!

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:20 am »
I made that again today too. I want to make other flavours, but that one is great!

Offline kezza

• View Profile
Re: Our Annual Christmas Challenge
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 01:11:19 pm »
Thanks Jamberie, Chookie and CP. Ive found a recipe for Champagne Truffles which I think are a bit quirky and Chrissy ! My DD has found a couple of good recipes with quinoa flour we will also use. My DD is gorgeous and Im happy to explore this new gf territory with her. Ill look at the torte recipe too CP for Xmas Day.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 08:09:16 pm »
Kezza, there is also the Lemon Feather Cake made with basically eggs and potato flour. The Guilt Free Cookies are GF and make a good nibble. Will post the recipe when I get a moment.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2015, 10:37:46 pm »
All I have done so far is to make 8 jars of apricot jam.  I make this every year to give to a lovely gentleman who looks after my computer for me.

We have a traditional Christmas dinner here with all the trimmings.  It's what the family like so I'm not allowed to change it. :).

The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2015, 12:26:11 am »
Most years I go crazy and make all sorts of things for hampers for my family, friends and co-workers.  This year I've decided not to and all I'm making is 2 or 3 things (like fudge, shortbread and beer chilli peanut brittle - recipe I found on the recipe community).  Each person I give to will just get one item.  Well that's my plan, hopefully I'm not going to go all silly closer to Xmas and change my mind.

SIL and her family are heading to Sydney for Xmas this year, so the in-laws Xmas meal and present swapping will be at my MIL's a week before Xmas.  MIL always asks me to make something for every family gathering (9 times out of 10 I'm asked to make dessert).  I'm hoping she'll ask me to bake bread (as I'm currently in a bread baking mood!) but I'll pretty sure I'll be asked to make desserts.  If that's the case, I'll make bread and dessert!

Xmas day will be at our house - just Richard and I, my Mum, and MIL and FIL.  If it's not hideously hot, we will have a traditional Xmas roast lunch.  I'm thinking Chookie's Swedish ice-cream cheesecake for dessert (a great recipe to make in advance).

My sister and her family (husband and 3 kids) who live in Canberra, will probably be in Adelaide at Xmas (I say probably, as they are very disorganised and arrangements will only be confirmed right on Xmas).  If they are they will come to our place for a meal on Boxing Day.  Richard has suggested we make pizza's on the bbq pizza stones we have - everyone can make their own pizza. 

Best thing about Xmas for me - is I get two weeks off work  :D

Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline mcmich

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2015, 05:18:20 am »
Sounds like you are all organised Katie.

Three smaller groups sounds good too. Everyone will be pleased with just item as a gift. I love receiving homemade gifts, especially baked goods.
Michele - Lake Macquarie, NSW

"Just tell yourself Duckie, you're really quite lucky." Dr Seuss

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 08:29:48 pm »
Katie, that sounds very good. I find people love home made bread. I also am going down the one item track. I saw a simple recipe for making a mix that you spray on fruit and veggies to kill bacteria and removes spray,  before you eat them.  Can mix it in the TMX and put it in squeeze bottles.
I have just made some of the Macadamia and cheese biscuits for a friend as a Xmas gift. She will be getting them today. Plus a frozen block that she can keep in the freezer and cook when required.
Some other friends will get a dozen, SD crumpets. Frozen.
DS and family are going to Canada for Xmas, Skiing. Ral and I are paying for their Xmas lunch which is being organised by an Aussie already there.
Have another friend who is allergic to nearly every thing except meat , fruit and veggies. Will make him some Raspberry and Muscat jam, recipe from new Tmix+ magazine.
BIL, Gentlemans Relish.
Think that about covers it,  I hope.!

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 10:48:01 pm »
It seems everyone is cutting down this year and I'm all for it.  I may buy some tins and fill them with home made biscuits for a few people, I'm giving gift vouchers to family members as it is so much easier than racking my brain to come up with something different.  Speaking to a check out operator the other day, a young girl who said her whole family is not giving gifts this year, they're going to donate to charity instead.  A Probus friend said they only give a token gift to family and she is going to buy earrings from a local street fair this weekend for her sisters. 

There seems to be a complete change in people's attitude this year.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline thermilover

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2015, 10:53:55 pm »
I thought of making some homemade hampers for everyone but short of time, so no hampers, a store bought hamper and home made cookies for my daughter's day care..
Bought a lot of gifts for my family though as we will be visiting them after almost 3 years...

Last year, I bought gifts for two kids from the Christmas wish tree and just loved that feeling, unfortunately will not be able to do it this year :(

Offline spersephone

• View Profile
Our Annual Christmas Challenge
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2015, 11:09:17 pm »
I will be making biscuits and fudge, perhaps jam too. We give gifts to the children, and token gifts to the adults. I always like to try to make something yummy, but I also stress that they think I'm cheap by not buying items. I don't know what everyone likes, and I don't want to give them something they don't want. My mum gives out scratchies and gift vouchers, but then I stress that they know exactly how much money I allotted them, and that it isn't enough. I'm not working and we're a single income family, so I don't want to spend much. But I'm happy to spend time and energy making things with love.

It all still fills me with terror though, that it won't be received well.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2015, 02:45:09 am »
Sarah, I am a bit like you, unsure and nervous whether people will think I am "cheap" giving them gifts I have made myself, but I give a great deal of thought to what I am making and giving to people and just hope they appreciate it and, if they don't .... well, they don't and that's just their hard luck.

At the moment (and this could change any number of times between now and Xmas) I plan on making wild orange moisturiser, mustard, salted caramel fudge and, perhaps, some kasundi and spicy nuts as well.  Everything is quick and easy which is what I need this year due to work load tying me up over the holiday period.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2015, 03:25:13 am »
I agree with all here that people are cutting down this year. Hampers are wonderful but they can work out very costly. I like the idea of your tins for biscuits Judy. Most people like a gift of home made products and if they don't its tough because people put a lot of time and effort into making it. I agree about the vouchers and the recipient knowing how much you spend but most of us are not on large incomes and its the thought that counts.

I have made some chilli jam for a gift but that is all so far. Might go and get some nice tins now; thanks Judy.

Offline troupie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2015, 04:24:44 am »
Chookie the spray you mention for veges sounds interesting; have you posted it on here. I have been trying to google the new tmx magazine but don't seem to be putting in the correct words so would love some help please. We were given a couple of bottles of muscat some years ago and as we don't drink it thought I would try the jam. I could also put it on a fruit cake as well.