Author Topic: Cafe Sized Biscuits  (Read 14055 times)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cafe Sized Biscuits
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:50:58 am »
These biscuits are approx 8cm diameter but could be made smaller if you wish.
Recipe makes 18 this size.

170g butter, softened
160g castor sugar
1 egg
70g self raising flour
260g plain flour
18 chocolate melts - milk chocolate or white can be used

Preheat oven to 180oC, fan-forced.  Line a tray with baking paper.

Place butter and sugar in TM bowl and cream for 1 min/speed 3.  Butterfly not necessary.

Add egg and mix for 20 sec/speed 3.

Add flours and knead 50-60 seconds or until incorporated.

Roll heaped tablespoons of dough into a ball, place onto tray and flatten slightly.

Press a chocolate melt quite firmly into the centre so that it sits lower than the dough.

Cook for 20-25 mins or until biscuits are golden brown.

Leave on the tray for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Stored in a tin they will stay fresh for a couple of months, well mine did but in most households they wouldn't last that long  ;D

members' comments

CP - These were so quick to knock up, I had them in the oven in under 10 minutes. Thanks JD, they are a great little biccy that hits the spot with a cuppa. I can say that its a first class biscuit to begin with that does not depreciate within 3 days. Its cost effective and this is not the last time I make these little rippers.

Kulsha - Turned out great and I have frozen them in portion controlled bags so they hopefully last longer than a few days! Still got lots of melts left so might have to make more. Thanks for the recipe Judy.

Bubbles - delish! I can say for sure there will be no need for portion controlled bags in my batch. Actually I"m not even sure they'll make it to the biscuit tin - I've already eaten three off the cooling rack (I'm blaming pregnancy cravings).

deedub - absolutely delicious, according to my young visitor (and me too)! Next time I make these I'll leave some plain as the fussiest DD didn't like the 'cooked' chocolate! Even without the choc melts they'd be yummy.

thermo18 - Judy these are so yummy, hoping they will last a few days but I don't think so. Will definitely be making again, the good thing is we have everything already in the pantry, so easy.

Bedlam - Yum, thanks Judy.

dede - just made them as well, they look yummy and I'm sure the critics will enjoy them as well.

GF - Many thanks, JD!  Made these to take to work . . and they literally just disappeared out of the container! This recipe marked to keep!!!
Thanks too, Kulsha, for the freezing idea!!  Controlled portions is what it's all about!

Kulsha - I used this idea today (large size) to make Luigi's 40 second biscuits from EDC (modified with added dark choc and coffee) then used a walnut piece instead of the choc button. I'm loving these bigger biscuits!

Hally - made a batch too.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 03:13:40 pm by judydawn »
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
Re: Cafe Sized Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 04:12:12 am »
great timing! I said to my DH the other day to buy me a pkt of choc bits at the supermarket (yes, yes of course he knew the type when asked if I needed to show him the empty pkt) and he came home with a pkt of melts...I don't often have need to melt chocolate and I wanted to make some biccies today so this will be a great way to use them up a bit  :D
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 04:24:45 am »
Never send a man to do a woman's job CP  ;)  These are nice though so he must have known I was going to post this recipe

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 07:00:53 am »
so simple, i can make when i get home.

Robyn ;D
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:04:56 am »
Finally got to use up some of those Melts today. I was making some bread and thought whilst the oven is at the right temp I should make some biscuits. These were so quick to knock up, I had them in the oven in under 10 minutes. Thanks JD, they are a great little biccy that hits the spot with a cuppa.
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:18:47 am »
Here's one I missed, might have to try these :)
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:42:48 am »
Ditto Mandi. I missed this one as well, which is strange because I check the forum every day ???

Glad I've seen it now though! A must-try recipe :D :D

Offline Halex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:09:07 am »
I missed these 2 ???
Plus I have all the ingredients

H :)
Mum to Crown Prince......

Offline deedub

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 11:20:13 am »
Good way to use up the stockpile of choc melts I have in the pantry, thanks!
Melbourne, inner north

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:23 pm »
great timing! I said to my DH the other day to buy me a pkt of choc bits at the supermarket (yes, yes of course he knew the type when asked if I needed to show him the empty pkt) and he came home with a pkt of melts...I don't often have need to melt chocolate and I wanted to make some biccies today so this will be a great way to use them up a bit  :D

Your DH is not the only one CP.  I bought 2 packets by mistake.  Used some in the M & M cookies and the grand children didn't complain.  Will use some more in another batch this weekend for some more of grands.

Will also make some of Judy's cookies as well.

Next time I shop I will take my glasses with me.  :D
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline Slice of Health

• View Profile
    • Slice of Health Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 05:14:49 am »
Chocolate melts were on special at woollies (2 bags for $7) so I had to try these! Turned out great and I have frozen them in portion controlled bags so they hopefully last longer than a few days! Still got lots of melts left so might have to make more. Thanks for the recipe Judy.

Eva, Slice of Health (my personal Thermomix blog)
www.sliceofhealth.com.au
www.facebook.com/sliceofhealthrecipes
Darwin, NT

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 05:23:28 am »
They look just like mine Kulsha :D   Can you believe I still have 1 left from the batch I made on 28th March - have only kept them in my biscuit tin and still as fresh as the day it was baked.  Off to make a cuppa and share it with DH.

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 06:08:56 am »
They look just like mine Kulsha :D   Can you believe I still have 1 left from the batch I made on 28th March - have only kept them in my biscuit tin and still as fresh as the day it was baked.  Off to make a cuppa and share it with DH.

Hope there is not going to be a fight over the choccie melt Judy! :D

Your biscuits look awesome Kulsha ;D

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 06:15:33 am »

No chance of them lasting more than a couple days in this house Judy (and that when I hide them from the kids :D )
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 01:33:26 pm »

Hope there is not going to be a fight over the choccie melt Judy! :D

No chance of there ever being a fight over food in this house Amy.  We did share the cookie, they are rather large.