Author Topic: Lemon Cupcakes with Creamy Vanilla Frosting  (Read 29501 times)

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
    • Thermomix in North East Victoria
Lemon Cupcakes with Creamy Vanilla Frosting
« on: July 31, 2009, 02:50:44 pm »
Hmmm - first friday night off (no miss 3) in I don't know how long... and I'm here posting recipes, making washing machine liquid and dishwasher goo - but I do have a glass of good local Petit Verdot with me.. ;D LOL.  Now, where was I? Oh yes... cake.... SLURP.... 

Cupcake ingredients:
250g sugar
Zest 1 lemon
150g unsalted butter
200g self raising flour
2 eggs
50g milk
Juice 1/2 lemon stirred into milk
Lemon Butter from EDCB

Method
Preheat oven to 160C (I believe TM HQ use a fan forced oven, so this should help the FF vs Normal debate ~ hopefully). Prepare muffin tin with paper liners.  Place sugar and zest into TM bowl and pulverise for 10-15 seconds on speed 9.
Add butter and chop for 5-10 seconds on speed 7. Scrape down sides of bowl and insert Butterfly. Cream mix for 1 minute on speed 4.
Add half the flour and continue to beat on speed 4. Reduce to speepd 2 and drop eggs through lid onto rotating blades one at a time.
Add remaining flour and milk combined with lemon juice.
Mix a further 20 seconds on speed 4. Scrape down sides of bowl if necessary and beat another 20 seconds. Drop generous tablespop of mixture into each cupcake liner. Using a teaspoon dolop a small amount of Lemon Butter on top of cupcake. Cover with additional mixture. DO NOT OVERFILL. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Makes approx 20 cupcakes

Creamy Vanilla Frosting

Ingredients
35g plain flour
200g whole milk
150g sugar
200g unsalted butter
35g natural vanilla extract

Frosting Method
Place flour and milk into TM bowl and blend for 5 seconds on speed 6. Cook for 15 minutes at 80C on speed 4. Pour into bowl, cover with plastic wrap, pushing plastic down onto surface of mixture.
Cool completely.
In clean TM bowl add sugar and pulverise for 15 seconds on speed 9. Add butter and chop for 5-10 seconds on speed 7. Insert Butterfly and aerate butter and sugar for 1-2 minutes on speed 3 with MC off to allow air into the bowl. Scrape down sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla and beat for 6 seconds on speed 4.  Add cooked milk mixture and continue to beat for around 2-3 minutes on speed 3 until very smooth and white.  Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes (NO LONGER, NO LESS!) Use immediately.

members' comments

alioop - Thanks for this recipe ILB - added the lemon butter to the middle, they were delicious - didn't even get a chance to make the frosting as the mob had devoured them before they even cooled.

Jules - These are a fav in our house but I am wondering if anyone has tried them with gluten free flour? and any success?

ILB - whilst I haven't tried these GF, I usually just substitute the flour for the Orgran brand of GF flours to any other cake I'm making and although a very slight difference, most people probably wouldn't pick up it unless they knew. Maybe add a teaspoon or two of Guar gum or Xanthum Gum added would help too.

Tara - These cupcakes were just SO damned good. Thanks SO much for sharing the recipe!

maddy - These were lovely.  Especially with the lemon curd surprise in the middle.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:04:42 am by judydawn »
For a healthier lifestyle.
Thermomix addict and consultant.

http://thermomixinnortheastvictoria.blogspot.com/ - My Blog

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
Re: Lemon Cupcakes with Creamy Vanilla Frosting
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 01:47:40 am »
 :o :o :o :o  Sounds like a very productive night - how's the head (heads ?) looking in the mirror this morning ???

Thanks for posting this recipe too!!  :-* :-*
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 01:52:09 am by Thermomixer »
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:48:45 am »
Laughing! Thanks Thermomixer.
The head was fine this morning - I'm too old to handle the morning after the night before  ;)
And to top it off have lovely clean clothes and sparkling dishes to wake to  ;D

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 07:53:59 am »

The head was fine this morning - I'm too old to handle the morning after the night before  ;)

OMG - wait til you get to my age - then you'll  know what it's like to be oldl !!!

No toys all over the floor too ??  Nice sleep in ??
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 08:04:17 am »
it was lovely having a nice clear floor - although no sleep in. Miss 3 was to be dropped of at 8am and while I had planned to sleep in until she arrived no such luck. My sleep in extended to 7 (which is still a treat anyway).

So by the time she'd arrived I'd already had a loaf of bread in the oven and rice & almond milik cooked and strained  ;)

But this afternoon - there are toys EVERYWHERE!!! Poor little thing. She's all tuckered out and asleep on the couch.  ;D ;D

I do remember reading a quote on time "you love them just that little bit more when they're asleep" - maybe it's the peacefullness  for both of us  ;) :-))

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 01:43:40 pm »
I do remember reading a quote on time "you love them just that little bit more when they're asleep" - maybe it's the peacefullness  for both of us  ;) :-))
I love that quote and it is just so true.  My 16 month old son is just a whirlwind of destruction at the moment and his main goal in life appears to be climbing on top of our dining table.  When he is asleep though he just looks like an angel!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 01:45:40 pm »
Ohhh I can relate to that.  They do look so innocent when they're asleep....

stacelee

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 12:17:07 am »
I so don't miss that stage....I am now training my twelve year old daughter to bring me a cup of tea in bed on a sunday morning....she is getting pretty good at it....I need her to take over from my fourteen year old who used to bring me coffee at 6am but is now doing the teenager sleep in thing.  I figure I have about another 12 months of tea in bed and then I'll have to try retraining the husband.  Unfortunately my kids are not over the mess.  I'm not sure if a teenager is messier than a 3 year old but I think they would give them a run for their money.
More on topic....I have a recipe for chocolate chip cookies and banana cake that I will post later on

Have a great day
Stacey

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 01:17:01 am »
lol stacey!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 01:19:02 am »
I can confirm that my teenagers are messier than my 2yo and 4 yo!!!  :o :o Teach them to make breakfast, lunch and dinner in the TMX while you are at the cup of tea training lol  ;D ;D
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline I Love Bimby!

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 01:26:34 am »
Looking forward to teenage sleep-in then  ;) Have just trained Miss 3 about getting up at 7am on days off after we got her a clock. Before that it was anywhere between 5-6am  >:( >:( >:(

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 01:28:01 am »
No don't look forward to the sleep in, it will drive your crazier than the early mornings as you are still chasing them out of bed at midday!!!  :-)) :-))
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Chelsea (Thermie Groupie)

• View Profile
    • My Blog - Full Little Tummies
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 04:13:09 am »
No don't look forward to the sleep in, it will drive your crazier than the early mornings as you are still chasing them out of bed at midday!!!  :-)) :-))

We had a sleep in this morning until 7.30am.  I probably should mention that by that stage we were all in the bed and there was a great deal of squealing, jumping and giggling, but at least we were still in bed!  Twelve months ago I wouldn't have dreamed it possible!!!
Chelsea  :)

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 06:27:56 am »
i'm so thankful my kids aren't early risers!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline alioop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 11:32:57 am »
Thanks for this recipe ILB - made them today.  Added the lemon butter to the middle (as shock of shocks, I had made some of this the other week - constantly amazed at what I try with the TM now - things I never would have bothered with pre-TM).  Anyway they were delicious - didn't even get a chance to make the frosting as the mob had devoured them before they even cooled  ;D ;D sure sign of a hit in this house. ;D.
From the beautiful South-West Western Australia!