Author Topic: Red Curry Chicken Risotto  (Read 39843 times)

Offline maddy

• View Profile
Red Curry Chicken Risotto
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:22:41 am »
Name of Recipe:  Red curry chicken risotto

Number of People:  4-5

Ingredients:  

1 onion quartered
2 garlic cloves
small handful flat leaf parsley (or coriander if you like the stuff  :-X )
3 Tbsp. red curry paste (I use the aldi brand which is mild, so you may need less if your paste is hotter)
40g olive oil
130g chopped carrot
1 large red capsicum quartered
2 chopped spring onions
600g chicken breast cubed - or could use thigh strips
400g can light organic coconut milk (can use normal coconut milk)
300g water
1 Tbsp. TM vegetable stock concentrate
300g aborio rice

Preparation:

Place onion, garlic & parsley into TM jug.  Chop for 5 seconds, speed7.

Scrape down jug  and add oil, and red curry paste, and chopped spring onions.  Saute for 3 minutes, 100c, speed 1.

Add in capsicum and carrot, and chop for 3 seconds, speed 7.

Scrape down jug and add in the cubed chicken (or thigh strips), and 100g of the coconut milk (reserve rest in the can).  Cook for 2 minutes, 100c,   :-:  speed 1.

Add in remaining coconut milk, aborio rice, 300g water, TM stock and salt & pepper to taste, then cook for 17 minutes, 100c,   :-:  speed 1.  Cook with the MC cap out, and place the steaming insert basket on top of lid.

I usually mix on   :-:   speed 3 to combine for a couple of seconds, then turn back down to   :-:   speed 1 for the cooking period.

Allow the risotto to rest for 5 minutes before serving.

If you were wanting more heat to the dish, simply add in some finely chopped chilli and saute it in with the curry paste & oil.

Photos:

members' comments

Kimby83 - This was the first meal I have cooked in my thermomix  and I wasn't disappointed!!! Thanks so much for the recipe - it was DELICIOUS! This is a regular on our menu, at least once a month.  I normally add whatever veggies I can find in the fridge (zucchini is normally a regular), green capsicum etc - and leave out the spring onions cos otherwise my fiance won't eat it.  I also use my own red curry paste (from EDC) which is always delicious and I can make it as spicy as I like.  Definitely a winner!!!

Frozzie - I made this and as nice as it was I used my homemade red curry paste from the EDC and put three tablespoons in lol...urrmm word of warning....burns your mouth out lol....don't miss the fact that the curry paste maddy used was mild. Nice complete meal though so thanks maddy..will have to try it again with less paste.

faffa - We love this though I generally only use about 1 tablespoon of the paste from the EDC, could probably handle 1.5 tablespoons but not the kids.

Katiej - it was lovely.  This recipe was very quick and easy to make and I had our dinner on the table in no time. I didn't have enough chicken so added a zucchini chopped into small pieces to make up the weight.  I did use green curry paste as this is what I had in the fridge.  It was quite hot but we both enjoyed it.  Plenty leftover for lunch tomorrow too.

miap - Absolute Favourite..........I add real chili and extra garlic....I use red curry paste but there is also a paste called Jungle Curry Paste that I use as well...(its hotter). 

DizzyGirl - DH and I loved it. We don't have it often as DS doesn't like risotto.

sue purrb - it was delicious. I had about 3 heaped teaspoons of Valcom red curry paste, so used that with one of my home grown red chillies. It had a nice kick. I sliced the red capsicum and added it about 5 mins before the end of cooking time, along with chopped snow peas, mushrooms and zucchini. All the veggies stayed crunchy, even after being in the thermoserver. It made enough for 3 dinners the first night, 2 lunches the next day and then another 2 dinners that night. I was sorry I didn't have enough for lunch the next day too! Thanks for a great recipe, Maddy - a new favourite!

Kimmyh - Didn't have any red curry paste, nor the ingredients to make it. Did find some tandoori paste I wanted to use up. So in it went and the result was delicious. Great easy to follow recipe. Can't wait to try it with the correct paste next time.

MangoJam - This is my first risotto in my new TMX, it is beautiful . Spicy and not gluggy at all . We all loved it .

Jamberie -  It's yummy. Made exactly as per directions with the addition of a few peas towards the end. Thank you for sharing Maddy.

Yvette - I love this recipe, we have it every few weeks.

MF -Had this with green curry paste and added diced capsicum and snow peas 3 minutes before cooking was finished.
It was nice but not a dish that wowed me. I would much rather have a Thai chicken curry with rice. DH enjoyed it but agreed that he wouldn't choose to have it again.  Can't really fault it as such but just not for me. I guess I am a purist when it comes to Italian food and Asian food.

Tips/Hints:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:44:50 am by judydawn »
.........EAT CAKE!

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: Red Curry Chicken Risotto
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 03:13:25 am »
Nice work Maddy - it is very deserving of it's own post!!!!  :-*
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:57:40 am »
can't wait to try this! :)

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:59:12 am »
food for thought though - can you just throw in the spring onions and chop them with the garlic and onion?

Offline Bedlam

• Denise - Mandurah WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 07:00:55 am »
Ooh looks yummy,just finished making some yellow curry paste looks like the perfect companion
Denise

Offline maddy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:18:38 am »
food for thought though - can you just throw in the spring onions and chop them with the garlic and onion?

Absolutely, but I like how it looks with uniform cut spring onions....purely cosmetic   ;)

.........EAT CAKE!

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:46 am »
This was the first meal I have cooked in my thermomix - and I wasn't disappointed!!! Thanks so much for the recipe - it was DELICIOUS! 

Fiance loved it too (and that must mean it is a winner) ;)  I omitted the onion and spring onions because he refuses to eat them (and I figured my first dish I would oblige him, but in future I am going to blitz them and hide them and see if he notices) - of course there is onion in the stock paste!  And next time I am going to try and make my own coconut milk and see how that goes.  I can see it is going to become a regular on our menu though!  ;D

Offline Twitterpated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2011, 12:18:23 am »
Thanks for posting this one Maddy. I tried your satay version and loved it so will give this one a go. I have quite a few different curry pastes frozen from making the original recipes. Always good to see recipes that will use up these "leftovers".

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 08:18:30 am »
i probably should have checked the forum first as I made this and as nice as it was I used my homemade red curry paste from the EDC (made it a while back and it was in the fridge) and put three tablespoons in lol...urrmm word of warning....burns your mouth out lol...I like chilli but not so much it destroys the other flavours so if your like me and dont always read every word ...dont miss the fact that the curry paste maddy used was mild lol...was nice though even though DD and DS couldnt eat it...they both had their hands to their mouths so ended up mixing it up with some mash I had left over to try and cool it down a bit!  Nice complete meal though so thanks maddy..will have to try it again with less paste.. :)
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:40:19 am »
We love this though I generally only use about 1 tablespoon of the paste from the EDC (us grown up wimps *me* lol) could probably handle 1.5 tablespoons but not the kids.
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline Katiej

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 11:38:12 am »
I made this for dinner tonight and it was lovely.  We'd been to the movies late this afternoon and this recipe was very quick and easy to make when we got home.  I had our dinner on the table in no time  :)

I didn't have enough chicken, so added a zucchini chopped into small pieces to make up the weight.  I did use green curry paste, as this is what I had in the fridge.  It was quite hot, but we both enjoyed it.  Plenty leftover for lunch tomorrow too  :)
Katie from Adelaide, SA

A party without cake is really just a meeting - Julia Child

Offline miap

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 11:47:09 am »
Absolute Favorite..........I add real chili and extra garlic....I use red curry paste but there is also a paste called Jungle Curry Paste that I use as well...(its hotter).   

Offline Kimby83

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 11:15:35 am »
Just thought I'd add.. this was one of the first meals I made in bimby - but is a regular on our menu at least once a month.  We love it in our house!  I normally add whatever veggies I can find in the fridge (zucchini is normally a regular), green capsicum etc - and leave out the spring onions cos otherwise my fiance won't eat it.  I also use my own red curry paste (from EDC) which is always delicious and I can make it as spicy as I like.  Definitely a winner!!! Thanks again for the recipe maddy :)

Offline obbie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:14:47 am »
Yummy
My Thermomix,  Kitchen Aid, Pizza oven, Nu Wave 5 in 1, Spatulas, all brings love, laughter, happiness, and great food  to my kitchen.

http://obbieskitchen.wordpress.com/
[/url

Offline meganjane

• View Profile
    • The Bush Gourmand
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 02:16:46 pm »
Fantastic Maddy!

I guess you could use any Thai Curry Paste.
A great cook is one who can rustle up a fabulous family meal with some freezer burnt chops, wilted carrots, sprouting potatoes and cabbage that's gone brown on the cut edges.
The Bush Gourmand