Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6035485 times)

jakodai

Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #1770 on: August 09, 2012, 01:33:23 pm »
I think custard is underestimated. Sure it has sugar in it. But it also has eggs (protein and iron) and lot's of milk (calcium). I don't mind giving it to DS, I don't have trouble getting him to drink milk and he eats yoghurt like it's going out of fashion so I'm not worred about calcium, but he's not real good with protein so I worry about iron & protein. He's on a multi-vitamin to help, but it;s obviously better from natural sources...

Elderly men can be so sweet. They can also be horrible, but I prefer to think of them as sweet... lol

Offline Amy :-)

• View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: August 09, 2012, 01:43:53 pm »
I agree with you there Manda, low fat, low sugar custard is a very nutritious, high-protein, high-calcium snack or dessert ;) ;) ;D ;D
Definitely underestimated!

I really enjoy talking to elderly people, it reminds me of talking to my grandparents :)
If I ever come across a horrible one, I just charm their socks off :-))

My other work placement is at a nursing home, so I'm looking forward to that one too :)

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: August 09, 2012, 01:45:04 pm »
Who gives you these 'work placements' Amy?  It's been a long time since I worked so I'm not up with these things.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Delightful Den

• View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: August 09, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »
Gym this morning. Busy day at work then had to drive to Perth for a Professional Development session tomorrow. Didn't get here until 7:30, unpacked and did an interval run session, 10 min warm up 4 x 1.6km flat out with a 400m recovery and 10 min cool down.

Time for bed now.

• View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: August 10, 2012, 12:11:29 am »
Who gives you these 'work placements' Amy?  It's been a long time since I worked so I'm not up with these things.

Mine are being organised by the coordinator of my nutrition and dietetics course, Judy :) The idea is that we go into a couple of care facilities to see how what we are learning is applied in real life, such as healthy meal planning, following infection control and hygiene precautions, communicating with clients to establish their dietary needs, and modifying meals and menus to suit different dietary requirements ;)
I think most educational facilities have the option or requirement of work placements. I know that all the high schools here have optional ones, my college has compulsory ones which can occasionally be negotiated, and I think all universities have compulsory ones. 

mcmich

« Reply #1775 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51:58 am »
I know our hospital gets paid to take students. We take IRON nurses - which are international RN's who pay (a lot of money) to meet regulations and register in Australia. The hospital also gets paid to take Uni students on placement.

• View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 10, 2012, 09:57:49 am »
It sounds like I've pretty well got the job at the hospital. The boss said he would have loved me to start today because he was five staff down :o
Typically, I also got phone calls today about the other two jobs I applied for, asking if I was still looking for work :-)) Unfortunately I can only take one, and its definitely going to be the hospital ;D

Also had a lecture this afternoon, and we were allocated our case studies for the role play assessment next week... agh!

Offline dede

• View Profile
    • Mandi's Picture Framing
« Reply #1777 on: August 10, 2012, 09:59:45 am »
Well Amy as they say "If it doesn't rain it Pours"
Nice to have a choice though.
I can definitely see you working at the hospital and loving it :D
Mandi, Mum of 5, Live in Tasmania. Work from home picture framing.

mcmich

« Reply #1778 on: August 10, 2012, 10:01:33 am »
What wonderful news DFD. Seems as if you are spoiled for choice now.  :-*

Offline Emme

• View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 10, 2012, 10:06:37 am »

Great news Amy, isn't is always the way, nice to have a choice though.

Good luck

Marie

• View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 10, 2012, 10:07:07 am »
Thanks Mandi, DFM and Marie :D :D :D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 10, 2012, 10:59:18 am »
I hope the hospital confirms you have the job quickly Amy, you wouldn't want to lose the others if the hospital one isn't secured.  Good luck. The hospital one sounds perfect for you.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

• View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 10, 2012, 11:17:59 am »
Thanks Judy :) One of the ladies who rang about one of the other jobs said she will keep my resume, and said to give her a call if the hospital doesn't work out ;)

jakodai

« Reply #1783 on: August 10, 2012, 12:14:55 pm »
That's great news Amy - its nice to feel wanted! The workforce can be difficult sometimes, I'm very happy for you that you're getting the experiences you want.  It's a great feeling to have a job that enjoy.

• View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 10, 2012, 12:16:41 pm »
Thanks Amanda!!! It sure is ;) :D