Author Topic: Spiced Pear Cake  (Read 17085 times)

Offline snappy

• View Profile
Spiced Pear Cake
« on: July 25, 2012, 04:59:54 am »
This cake is divine!

I had some pears that needed using up before my next fruit box arrived and smh.com.au had an article on the best afternoon tea cakes/loafs.  That article linked me through to Sophistimom's blog - which has lots of fabulous recipes!  I've just converted Sophistimom's recipe for the thermomix but Sophistimom says she was inspired by a Martha Stewart recipe!

I found this recipe will make two small loaf cakes or one square cake.  My boys and DH ate one of these loaves uniced within about 4 hours of it being made - so lucky i had another.  It is the most perfect morning tea or afternoon tea cake iced with some cream cheese icing.

Ingredients:
2-3 ripe pears, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
3/4 cup white sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
110 gram unsalted butter
85 grams brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
100 grams sour cream or yoghurt
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarb soda
1/2 tsp salt
250 grams plain flour

Method:
Add pears, 1/4 cup white sugar and the lemon juice into TMX.  Cook 100°C / 15 mins / speed 1.  When finished cooking, mash the pears 5-7 secs / speed 5.

Measure out 11/2  cups of the pear sauce and set aside.  Clean bowl.

Add remaining white sugar and grind speed 9 / 5 secs.  Add butter and brown sugar and cream speed 4 / 2 mins.

Add in eggs, vanilla and sour cream and mix speed 5 / 2 mins.

Add spices, flour, baking powder, bicarb soda, salt and knead / 30 secs until it is just combined.

Add in pear sauce and mix speed 1-2 / 7 secs.

Bake in 2 lined loaf tins for 30-40 mins @ 160°C

members' comments

LucyH - We loved this cake!

Stephanie - Yum. I'm about to pull mine out of the oven.  It smells divine.  My mother in law will be here shortly for afternoon tea - she's an award winning CWA cook so I'm hoping to impress. I used tinned pears because I had a random tin in the pantry and I'm trying to eat what we have to hand.  I also used GF flour and allspice instead of cardamon and nutmeg (could not be bothered grinding them).  The batter was delicious!  I found a block of philly and some walnuts in the freezer - mmmmm cream cheese icing.   I also used a touch of stevia powder with the pears instead of sugar and rapadura instead of brown sugar.  That means I can have an extra piece doesn't it ;) Thanks for a great recipe.
Update - My MIL was very impressed.  The cake was so delicious - everyone devoured it and it did not suffer from using the GF flour - I find you have to eat cakes very quickly if you use the gf flour as it seems to dry them out within a day or so.  That was no problem with this cake as it was gone within 24 hours!

ES - I made this into two log cakes, and gave one to my neighbour to take for afternoon tea with a new mum. She said how lovely it was and that everyone went back for seconds. I used 3 pears, but it only made about 1 cup of purée so I added some apple purée I had in the freezer. It was an easy cake to make, I love anything with fruit in it.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:49:16 am by judydawn »

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
Re: Spiced Pear Cake
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 05:48:12 am »
That looks gorgeous, Snappy.  thanks for the conversion.  Why is it that I am always drawn to sweet things when I should be resisting them and not even looking at the recipes?
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 06:47:46 am »
Thanks cuilidh.  It is a very moist and delicious cake.  And anyway, it contains fruit and low fat yoghurt - that's got to be healthy right?

*suzanne*

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 07:28:23 am »
Mmm that looks so yummy,I am going to make it for my mum on Sunday she will love it  :)

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 08:55:36 am »
Snappy - you are a bad influence on me!!  I simply cannot argue with your logic.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline LucyH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:25:18 am »
Oh yum, I have pears & will Make this tonight.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 08:26:08 am »
LucyH how did you go?

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 08:54:13 am »
It looks lovely and moist. As it's healthy :D I may just have to try it and eat it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Frozzie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 09:05:13 am »
On to try list 😊
Kim :) ... Back in the land of Oz

http://frozziegourmande.blogspot.com/

Offline LucyH

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 05:40:32 am »
We loved this cake!

Offline Stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 05:48:59 am »
Yum. I'm about to pull mine out of the oven.  It smells divine.  My mother in law will be here shortly for afternoon tea - she's an award winning CWA cook so I'm hoping to impress.

I used tinned pears because I had a random tin in the pantry and I'm trying to eat what we have to hand.  I also used GF flour and allspice instead of cardamon and nutmeg (could not be bothered grinding them).  The batter was delicious!  I found a block of philly and some walnuts in the freezer - mmmmm cream cheese icing.  :P   I also used a touch of stevia powder with the pears instead of sugar and rapadura instead of brown sugar.  That means I can have an extra piece doesn't it  ;)  Thanks for a great recipe.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:59:02 am »
  My mother in law will be here shortly for afternoon tea - she's an award winning CWA cook so I'm hoping to impress.

Gosh I do hope it does impress her then Stephanie, I would be quite intimidated serving food up to a MIL who is such a good cook.
Has she passed on any of her award winning recipes that you could adapt for the TMX?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 01:48:14 pm »
LucyH Im so glad you liked it.  It's great to hear that it worked for somone else.

Stephanie, i never thought of using tinned pears - what a great idea.  Your MIL sounds like a fantastic cook - hopefully the cake turned out well for her

Offline Stephanie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 04:51:47 am »
My MIL was very impressed.  The cake was so delicious - everyone devoured it and it did not suffer from using the GF flour - I find you to eat cakes very quickly if you use the gf flour as it seems to dry them out within a day or so.  That was no prob with this cake as it was gone within 24 hours!   

As for MIL recipes- I do have a few of hers and I will try some conversions to post.  :)

Offline snappy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 12:23:58 pm »
Great to hear the cake impressed your MIL Stephanie.  I think it is such a moist cake that it would work out well with the GF flour.

I've just made it again tonight but using up some excess apples instead of pears.

I think i might have to try and see if i can find some more Martha Stewart recipes to convert if they all turn out this good