Author Topic: Romesco sauce  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Katya

• View Profile
Romesco sauce
« on: June 05, 2011, 04:05:56 pm »
Name of Recipe: Romesco Sauce

Number of People:   4
Ingredients:

4 medium ripe tomatoes
1 red pepper (preferably romano but bell would do)
3 garlic cloves skinned (you can use less or more depending on how you feel about garlic)
15 shelled hazlenuts
10 blanched almonds
2 Tbs red wine vinegar
1 slice day old white bread (ciabatta is good but any is ok)
8 tbsps EVO
Salt

Preparation:

Heat oven to 200 C

Deseed the pepper and cut it into largish chunks.   Cut the tomatoes into quarters.  Place tomatoes and pepper onto a baking tray and drizzle with about 1 tbsp olive oil.    Put the baking tray into the top of the oven and cook for 10 minutes.   Add the garlic, hazlenuts and almonds to the baking tray and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until everything looks well roasted (but not burnt!)

Meanwhile fry the bread in 1 tbsp olive oil for a few minutes on either side until golden.

Add the pepper, nuts, tomatoes and garlic to the TMX bowl, together with the bread and salt.  Puree for 20 seconds on speed 8, scraping down the side of the bowl half way through and at the end.   

Process at speed 5 for 1 minute, adding the rest of the oil by pouring it onto the lid.

Add the vinegar and process at speed 4 for a few seconds to incorporate it.   Add salt to taste

The sauce should be thick and creamy and should still have a coarse texture.  If it seems too thick, you can thin it by adding a tablespoon or 2 of red wine.  If too thin, add some more bread.

Tips/Hints:

This is delicious served with fish or chicken or steak.   It keeps for up to a week in the fridge.

Offline vanillabean

• View Profile
Re: Romesco sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »
Looks yummy, Katya! I love romesco sauce. You can also serve it with smashed potatoes - I have a recipe somewhere that is out of this world yummy for Romesco Potatoes.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 01:32:17 am »
I've never heard of this sauce before but it sounds very tasty Katya - guess leftovers would freeze OK?
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Katya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 09:34:29 am »
I hadn't heard of this sauce either but a friend served it with monkfish when I was in France and it was absolutely divine.   

I think it should freeze ok JD  - unfortunately I didn't make enough of it to try doing so  :D :D

Offline trudy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 03:19:35 am »
Thanks Katya,  I also love this sauce, especially in summer when the tomatoes are at their peak as it goes so well with fish.

Offline passionflower

• View Profile
    • My Many Passions
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:09:14 pm »
Oooh Katya I think this is my next experience  :D I simply adore romesco sauce yum!! thank yooooooouuu xx
Visit my papercrafting blog
http://www.monicas-passions.blogspot.com