Author Topic: Quinces  (Read 4303 times)

2flossy2

Quinces
« on: April 13, 2013, 09:06:08 am »
Hi All, I have a query about my quinces. My tree had an abundance of fruit this year, but the fruit isn't as fragrant as it was last year.
I have tried to make jelly, but the boiled fruit doesn't seem to have released enough juice to make a batch of jelly. Also the fruit isn't turning that lovely red/golden colour when cooked.
Any one have any ideas?
2flossy2

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Quinces
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:45:45 am »
There is a post here about help with Quinces that might help 2flossy2.
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:51:49 am »
Just read Maggie Beer on Quinces.  She says long slow cooking is needed to bring out the colour.

Offline classmyth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 11:47:54 am »
We've also noticed our quince paste this year isn't that lovely dark red, instead it's a light pink-red. We used exactly the same recipe and cooking times, so I think it may be that the fruit varies year to year. The summer for us was drier this year, so maybe that's got something to do with it. The quince paste tastes the same as last year's and has set well.

2flossy2

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 10:40:06 pm »
Thank you! I think it may have something to do with the weather, it has been a very dry year, although the quinces are of a huge size. I might talk to a nurseryman and see if it has happened to other people.
Xx Flossy

Offline littlebitofthyme

• View Profile
    • Little Bit of Thyme
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 02:28:23 pm »
Hi.
I have just used the recipe for paste from here. http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/thermomix-quince-paste.html
It didn't turn dark until well into the cooking process. The quinces I used were quite dry inside. All the best with trying this recipe.

Tash

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 01:28:39 pm »
I think Thermomixer put this recipe on here too he suggested putting the thermomix into the sink to stop it jumping around when making it.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

2flossy2

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 01:10:34 pm »
Thanks for the tips, will have another go and cook it a bit longer and see how I go.