Author Topic: Tomato Paste Concentrate  (Read 3648 times)

Offline kmw

• View Profile
Tomato Paste Concentrate
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:09:50 pm »
I bought some cheap tomato's at the market as I needed to make some more tomato paste concentrate as we are avoiding the store bought version if possible because of my DH's food in tolerances. 

I couldn't remember which recipe I had used previously but came across the following on the recipe community - tomato paste concentrate

It was easy to make and both DH & I like the taste.  I divided the recipe into portions and put them in the freezer, so far I have used it in Quirky Jo's bolognese sauce. 

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tomato Paste Concentrate
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:55 pm »
Would it have been either of these Kerry.

There's this one from Julia Balbilla http://www.forumthermomix.com/index.php?topic=8308.0;prev_next=next which looks really good.

and this one from Thermomixer
Tomato paste - to peel - pour boiling water over tomatoes in a bowl and leave 2 minutes then drain and put into cold, icy water - the skin should come away easily.  Don't throw the skins away though - reserve.

To deseed - easiest to cut them in half - across the equator and then remove the seeds with a teaspoon.

Put the seeds and skins into the TMX and cook for 20 - 30 minutes at 90oC on Speed 1.  Then blitz this on Speed 9 for 20 seconds - make sure the MC is in place and cover with a cloth also.  Strain this mix - this is where most of the glutamates are in tomatoes - so all the best flavour.

Clean the bowl and then place your tomato flesh and drained juice and cook that.  Not sure about the time, but best on Varoma temp at speed 3 or 4 to help it to thicken and concentrate. Hope that helps.

Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.