Author Topic: Vanilla Thriller Tenina's For Foods Sake  (Read 16078 times)

Offline Jamberie

• View Profile
Re: Re: Vanilla Thriller Tenina's For Foods Sake
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 12:40:03 pm »
What a great job Kimmy! It looks fantastic! :)
I have a Facebook page with all things cooking, you'll find it here: https://www.facebook.com/What-Amber-Ate-1097437023601587/

Offline Tenina

• The new publicity shot…
    • View Profile
    • Tenina.com
Re: Vanilla Thriller Tenina's For Foods Sake
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »
WOW, looks incredible…It is a fiddle, but you did well!
 ;)

Offline Greyhoundmum

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 12:11:13 pm »
Looks great Kimmyh looks ways too tricky for my level of cooking (and patience) skills!

Offline Ros_D

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2013, 12:11:13 pm »
My SIL and I made an attempt at this over the past few days.
We didn't have the cake glaze or titanium dioxide (because we just decided to make it now kind of thing). The vanilla almond crunch layer was kinda of dry and crumbly. Will try it again with all the right ingredients :)
I'm either cooking up a storm or crafting away using my Stampin' Up! stash.
My blog: http://www.rosdavidson.typepad.com

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2013, 12:15:14 pm »
We may not have had all the right ingredients - but it tasted great :). Ros and I did not really enjoy making the caramel for the almond praline paste though! There was a lot of burnt sugar involved. 
Fiona - who could be working if she wanted to get a job

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 12:20:14 pm »
It looks nice girls, must have been fun working on it together.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline dragongirly

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »
It was JD. We had a cooking day to start with - 2 TM's and 4 bowls in the kitchen :) Of course we didn't start the thriller until late in the afternoon - hence the 3 days it took  :D
Fiona - who could be working if she wanted to get a job

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 12:57:23 pm »
Well done girls. Looks good to me. What fun to Thermomix together.

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 02:15:05 pm »
Congrats girls,it looks great :)
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Offline asha_76

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2014, 12:00:31 pm »
I have been wanting to try this recipe for ages and finally gave it a go over the weekend.  I really enjoyed the challenge of attempting something this difficult and was reasonably happy with the end result.

Firstly some tips -

Definitely start this recipe a couple of days in advance.  I started on the Friday morning (to serve on a Sunday night).  If you have no other interruptions/commitments you could get away with starting the day before but it is not the kind of recipe you can just decide to make on the spur of the moment.

The Titanium Dioxide I got from The Melbourne Food Ingredient Depot - their website address has changed from the one in book.  It is now - https://www.melbournefooddepot.com/

The Cake Glaze I bought from Peppercorn Deli in Keysborough (Melbourne) through Ebay.  The seller's username is auvicpeter

The Almond Oil I got from Thomas Dux although I believe it is also sold in some health food shops.

Definitely use a shallow pan for the Almond Praline Paste.  I made the mistake of using a small deep pan.  This means the sugar on the outside starts to burn before the sugar in the middle even starts to melt.  Somehow I was able to save it but it took a lot of effort.  Learnt my lesson on that one!  You will also be left with quite a lot of Almond Praline Paste left over.

With the Vanilla Almond Crunch, the final mix in Step 6 was not long enough for me.  I had to do it a couple more times and then use a soft spatula to flatten the ingredients a bit more so they were evenly crushed.

As has been mentioned the Vanilla Glaze is very difficult to work with.  I felt if there had just been slightly more of the glaze then it would have spread evenly by itself as I poured it but there just wasn't quite enough.  I was able to use a soft spatula to get it pushed out into all of the edges of the pan but after that it was too late and the top ended up looking quite uneven.  It didn't really matter though as you couldn't tell once it had been cut into slices.  I served it with a Berry Coulis which worked well.

So would I make this again?  Probably not.  Whilst I enjoyed the taste, I have made other desserts that I have enjoyed more than this one (such as the Salted Caramel Ice Cream Torte).

Upon cutting, I found the top two layers separated from the bottom two very easily so it was very difficult to eat a mouthful with all four layers in it at the same time.  Also the Dacquoise sets very hard and was a real challenge to cut through.  Of course it is also a very expensive and time consuming recipe to make.

I highly recommend anyone looking for a challenge to give it a go though.  The recipe is easy to follow and all of the steps are achievable if you allow enough time and are well prepared.  As Kimmy mentioned though there are just too many other recipes I want to try which would mean I'd be unlikely to make this one again in a hurry.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:04:07 pm by asha_76 »

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »
Well asha it looks lovely, and now you can look at the recipe in the book knowing that you've made it. Knowing how long it takes to make it I don't think that I will, but I'm quite happy to taste test at the drop of a hat
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2014, 01:37:17 pm »
Asha well done on achieving something  with that degree of difficulty. Thanks also for your review.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline Cornish Cream

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 05:05:24 pm »
A great review of the recipe asha.Lovely photo of your slice.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 07:07:32 pm by Cornish Cream »
Denise...Buckinghamshire,U.K.
Don't cry over the past,it's gone.Don't stress about the future,it hasn't arrived.Live in the present and make it beautiful.

Online judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 10:48:27 pm »
Congratulations on both the end product and great review Asha.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline BeezeeBee

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2014, 03:43:58 am »
Superb job, Asha!

Guess I'm not making this cos I'm not looking for more challenges at the moment. Hehehe