Author Topic: Potato & Leek Soup Doubling Query  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Sparkle

• View Profile
Potato & Leek Soup Doubling Query
« on: February 28, 2014, 02:28:52 am »
I am looking at making the Potato & Leek Soup in the new EDC Cookbook from the Salmon Velouté recipe.  Everybody LOVED the soup portion of this recipe so I was wanting to double it for dinner to have on its own without the rest of the recipe.  Would you put what you could in the rice basket and the rest of the leek and potato in the jug, or not use the basket at all? Thanks  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Potato & Leek Soup Doubling Query
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 02:59:19 am »
I hope someone has done this recipe and can help you out Sparkle, sorry I haven't done it myself so am not familiar with that recipe.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline gertbysea

• Don't experience life from the cheap seats.
    • View Profile
Re: Potato & Leek Soup Doubling Query
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 04:08:13 am »
I have not  made this either but just reading the recipe I can't see any reason not to put It it all I to the jug. The reason the potatoes and leeks are in the basket is to allow the water with stock just  to just steam the fish. If making the soup there is no need not to just  chuck it together.

First I would sauté the onions, garlic AND the leeks before adding the stock and potatoes. Just cook until the potatoes are well done other wise it will be starchy.

Be aware you will not have the slight salmon flavour to your soup but you could use a wee bit of fish stock if  that is what you are looking for flavour wise.

Or you could just make leek and potato soup from the EDC page 83!

Hope it helps.

Gert
Gretchen in Cairns, Australia

Life is like an onion; you peel off one layer at a time and sometimes you weep. Carl Sandburg.