Author Topic: Vanilla Extract - from Shayla  (Read 160310 times)

Offline Kimmyh

• View Profile
Re: Vanilla Extract - from Shayla
« Reply #165 on: March 17, 2013, 05:09:26 am »
You can buy little glass amber bottles with white screw caps in various sizes from aromatherapy or cosmetic suppliers. I think these would be appropriate.

Offline kt2

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 17, 2013, 06:28:55 am »
It may even be worth trying your local pharmacy as they use various size bottles and jars.  :)
Katie, Perth WA

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 17, 2013, 07:15:09 am »
Thanks everyone, I have also found a couple of other ideas for suppliers (out of the USA, though).  The aromatherapy one is good - I might give that a try.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Meagan

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 17, 2013, 05:37:42 pm »
You can buy them in Perth but the minimum quantity is really high close to 150 bottle I think??
Thermomix consultant in beautiful Perth,  Mum to 2 boys :)

Do you Fly with the flyLady?  www.flylady.net

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 17, 2013, 06:16:04 pm »
Cripes, I don't think I'll be making quite that much extract!

If anyone else is looking, the two American suppliers I came across are:

Beanilla and Mountain Rose Herbs

... however, I haven't been in touch with either yet so don't know if they have a minimum quantity.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
    • Books, Cooks, Gadgets and Gardening
« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2013, 03:41:56 am »
Cripes, I don't think I'll be making quite that much extract!

If anyone else is looking, the two American suppliers I came across are:

Beanilla and Mountain Rose Herbs

... however, I haven't been in touch with either yet so don't know if they have a minimum quantity.

Unless you are going to be ordering in bulk, the best vanilla in 1/2 pound batches (Chef Quality)  is Vanilla, Saffron Imports
The quality is excellent.
I'm not OverWeight, I'm UnderTall!
My Blog: http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2013, 04:17:27 am »
Andie - great to speak to you again.  OK, I haven't actually ordered any vanilla yet so will have a look at your recommendation.  What are your thoughts on the advantages / disadvantages of using Grada A beans as opposed to Grade B?

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2013, 06:31:22 am »
Andie - great to speak to you again.  OK, I haven't actually ordered any vanilla yet so will have a look at your recommendation.  What are your thoughts on the advantages / disadvantages of using Grada A beans as opposed to Grade B?

Frankly I haven't noted much difference.  The "Chef Quality" beans work great for extract and for regular use in custards, ice cream, etc.

The only type I don't buy is the Tahitian because it is too "flowery" more like perfume than the pure vanilla I like.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2013, 06:44:31 am »
Cuilidh, why don"t you buy from an Australian Co.  I got mine from Vanilla Plantation of Australia. I bought  A Grade Bourbon  17-18 cms 250  gms,  I can't remember the price but it was competitive , I bought them last year , made two large bottles of vanilla extract put about 20 beans in each bottle,  have made vanilla sugar gave a few away and still have some in the fridge , about to make more sugar.  And buy another bottle of Vodka to add to the extract.  It was expensive to set up but now have vanilla in everything.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2013, 08:57:39 am »
Looking at that link Andie, I see the vanilla paste is 1 qt for $24.95.  Am I right in thinking a quart is 4 cups  :o  That seems far too cheap for vanilla paste.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline andiesenji

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 23, 2013, 10:10:12 pm »
Looking at that link Andie, I see the vanilla paste is 1 qt for $24.95.  Am I right in thinking a quart is 4 cups  :o  That seems far too cheap for vanilla paste.

Yes,  a quart is 4 cups but the shelf life after opening is  limited - this size is for commercial buyers that will use it up within six months or so. 

My friend, who owns a bakery, only buys the 16 ounce (2 cups) size as it takes him about six months to use that much. 

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2013, 01:07:33 am »
In the end I did purchase the vanilla beans from an organic Australian supplier, AB, and I've got the vanilla essence under way now - Absolut vodka was on special last weekend so I grabbed that.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will brew away happily until Xmas.

I was concerned about the proof of the vodka, but Absolut was the strongest on the shelf so I am hoping it will work out for me.

Offline Aussie Brenda

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2013, 01:13:49 am »
Cuilidh, glad you got sorted I just bought another bottle of Voldka yesterday , when I made mine I made two bottles half vodka in each with beans now I've diluted it with more vodka, it's great, not sweet like the bought stuff but having so much on hand I'm not stingy with it now ;D

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2013, 04:11:57 am »
I just bought more beans today as there are ten in my brew in approx. 2/3 of the bottle of vodka and I'm not sure if perhaps I need to put more in, so I'll put more in ... what the heck ... let's be reckless!  I'm getting mine from Quality Plants on Ebay.  The guy has just emailed me to ask if there is some sort of cooking competition on because he has had three urgent orders for vanilla beans in a row today!

To be honest I don't use much vanilla - I'm just making it for the fun of it and will give away as much as possible at Xmas.

Offline goldfish

• Love life's little light bulb moments!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 18, 2013, 09:21:26 am »

I'm getting mine from Quality Plants on Ebay.  The guy has just emailed me to ask if there is some sort of cooking competition on because he has had three urgent orders for vanilla beans in a row today!

Bumping - time to start the Christmas hampers . . ;D ;D ;D  Had to smile at Cuilidh's email from Quality Plants . . .this forum does tend to stand some vendors on their heads at times!  Books, meat thermometers, vanilla beans . . .  ;D ;D